Check if file exist and then take it from there...

yup. and you can even put variables in your function for a syntax. like this if you want to get really fancy

$var = _Calc(2, 2)
MsgBox (0,"Statement", "The number equels " & $var)

Func _Calc($num1, $num2)
    Return $num1 + $num2
EndFunc

[spoiler]My UDFs: Login UDF[/spoiler]

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

$var = _Calc(2, 2)

Func _Calc($num1, $num2)
    Return $num1 + $num2
EndFunc

Just to see if i got it right:

$var = _Calc(3, 4)

Func _Calc($num1, $num2)
    Return $num1 * $num2
EndFunc

Would return

"The number equels 12"

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Hobby graphics artist, using gimp.Automating pc stuff, using AutoIt.Listening to music, using Grooveshark.[/font]Scripts:[spoiler]Simple ScreenshotSaves you alot of trouble when taking a screenshot!Don't remember what happened with this, but aperantly the exe is all i got.If you don't want to run it, simply don't._IsRun UDFIt figures out if the script has ben ran before based on the info in a ini file.If you don't want to use exactly what i wrote, you can use it as inspiration.[/spoiler]

Would this work ?

#include-once

; #INDEX# =======================================================================================================================
; Title .........:  Write and send UDF
; AutoIt Version :
; Language ......:  English
; Description ...:  A function that will find out if the program has been ran before.
; Author(s) .....:  Maffe811
; ===============================================================================================================================

; #CURRENT# =====================================================================================================================
;_WarUdf
; ===============================================================================================================================

; #FUNCTION# ====================================================================================================================
; Name...........:  _WarUdf
; Description ...:  A function that will find out if the program has been ran before.
; Syntax.........:  Func WarUdf($filedir, $filename, $var, $section, $read = 0, $newstart, $oldstart )
; Parameters ....:
;                   $filedir    Directory for where to look for file.
;                   $filename   The file name.
;                   $var        Variable in the file .
;                   $section    Section the variable in the file will be.
;                   $read       The value that represents if the file has been opened before.
; Return values .:  0           The program HAS NOT been ran before.
;                   1           The program HAS been ran before.
; Author ........:  Maffe811
; Modified.......:
; Remarks .......:
; Related .......: IniRead, IniWrite
; Link ..........:
; Example .......: No

Func WarUdf($filedir, $filename, $section, $var)

If FileExists($filedir) Then ;Check if the file directory exist.
        FileChangeDir($filedir) ;If it exists, go to the file directory.
        $read = IniRead($filename, $section, $var, 0) ;Read the ini file, if nothing found $read = 0.
    Else
        DirCreate ($filedir) ;If file directory doesnt exist, create it.
    EndIf

While 1
        Return $read
    WEnd
EndFunc;==> WarUdf()
Edited by Maffe811

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Hobby graphics artist, using gimp.Automating pc stuff, using AutoIt.Listening to music, using Grooveshark.[/font]Scripts:[spoiler]Simple ScreenshotSaves you alot of trouble when taking a screenshot!Don't remember what happened with this, but aperantly the exe is all i got.If you don't want to run it, simply don't._IsRun UDFIt figures out if the script has ben ran before based on the info in a ini file.If you don't want to use exactly what i wrote, you can use it as inspiration.[/spoiler]

I thought this would work:

#include <WarUdf.au3>
;Func WarUdf($filedir, $filename, $section, $var)
$WarUdf = Func WarUdf(@AppDataDir & "\Program", "test.ini", "test section", "test") EndFunc

MsgBox(0,"Return value", "Return value: " & $WarUdf)

While 1
    Sleep(40)
WEnd

But i get:

C:\Users\Morten\Desktop\autoit\_war_udf test.au3(3,11) : ERROR: syntax error
$WarUdf = Func
~~~~~~~~~~^
C:\Users\Morten\Desktop\autoit\_war_udf test.au3 - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

Why ? Is Func not allowed?

Edited by Maffe811

You can't define a function like that.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Care to explain?

Why does:

$var = _Calc(3, 4)
Work and

$WarUdf = Func WarUdf(@AppDataDir & "\Program", "test.ini", "test section", "test") EndFunc
doesnt?

is it cause the WarUdf is a different script

If you wonder, War is an initialism of 'write and read'

But how do i do this?

Could you/someone point out flaws?

And the first version of the script had:

filename

filedir

sectorname

keyname

read variable

function if its firs time the program is ran

function if its the second time program is ran

But i found out, i can remove the last three and just make it return 0 or 1 and let the user make its own script out from that.

But is the script correctly written so it ends up by printing 1 or 0 ? (I just relised i could test this myself)

And how do i sucsessfully import/include a script and call functions from it ?

Your first example is calling the function _Calc, your second one is trying to create a function and then assign it to a variable, that is not the way to do it.

Functions have to be a stand alone item in your code. You can't assign a function to a variable, you can't nest a function inside another function, you can't nest a function inside a loop.

Whether you understand why the second example is wrong or not, understand this; it's wrong because you can't do it that way.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Cause i took some fil already in the include folder and wrote it so it looked like that.

Can you explain what way would be the correct way to write it ?

Edit:

I looked at the "Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar" in your sig, and saw that my UDF file was mostly coded while in the script i shouldnt have "$var = Func WarUdf

Just $var = WarUdf

So now its imported correctly, but it only returns 0... i gotta fix this!

Edited by Maffe811

I'm at a loss as to what you're asking here. Could you explain what it is that you're looking for, and I will try and help if possible.

You have a splashscreen gui w/progress bar in your sig.

You have two parts, the code that goes in the script:

#include "_ProgressGUI.au3"
$Return = _ProgressGUI("This is a test message xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxx", 1, 30, "", 400, 300);, 4, 6)
For $I = 1 To 100
    GUICtrlSetData($Return[1], $I)
    Sleep(100)
    If Mod($I, 2) Then GUISetBkColor(Random(0, 32767, 1), $Return[0])
Next
Sleep(2000)
GUIDelete($Return[0])
$Return = _ProgressGUI()
Sleep(4000)

and the code thats in the UDF.

I want this part:

$Return = _ProgressGUI("This is a test message xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxx", 1, 30, "", 400, 300)
To have the same function in my script.

$Read = 1
        $read = IniRead($filename, $section, $var, 0) ;Read the ini file, if nothing found $read = 0.
    Else
    EndIf

Return $read
EndFunc;==> WarUdf()

#include <WarUdf.au3>
;Func WarUdf($filedir, $filename, $section, $var)
$WarUdf = WarUdf(@AppDataDir & "\Program", "test.ini", "test section", "test")

MsgBox(0,"Return value", "Return value: " & $WarUdf)

You see what i want ?

1. its not a good idea to start a never-ending loop in the udf

2. iniread is never going to find the ini file. you have to use somthing like this to make the ini file:

IniWrite($filedir, "created:", @MON & "," & @MDAY, "")

also just so you know with ini files you always have to have the .ini part. so this:

WarUdf(@AppDataDir & "\Program", "test.ini", "test section", "test")

will never work. it would have to look like this:

WarUdf(@AppDataDir & "\Program.ini", "test.ini", "test section", "test")

hope it helps :huh2:

Edited by pieeater

[spoiler]My UDFs: Login UDF[/spoiler]

After reading this reply, pieeater, correction is needed. There is so many flaws that I am baffled.

2. iniread is never going to find the ini file. you have to use somthing like this to make the ini file:

IniWrite($filedir, "created:", @MON & "," & @MDAY, "")

I see that you have changed the $filename to $filedir when Maffe811 does not show this changed code. I am confused to how you came up with this. $filedir is a folder path which is no good for the 1st parameter of IniWrite().

also just so you know with ini files you always have to have the .ini part. so this:

WarUdf(@AppDataDir & "\Program", "test.ini", "test section", "test")

will never work.

There does not need to be a .ini part, anyone can use .txt if they wish to do so. And the UDF does work. I tested it with the code below.

If DirCreate(@AppDataDir & '\Program') Then
    If IniWrite(@AppDataDir & '\Program\test.ini', 'test section', 'test', 'bingo') Then
        $return = WarUdf(@AppDataDir & "\Program", "test.ini", "test section", "test")
        MsgBox(0, '', $return)
    EndIf
EndIf

$Read = 1
    Else
    EndIf

Return $read
EndFunc;==> WarUdf()

I guess you should never say never. The UDF may require some improvements perhaps, but it does work. The $Read variable could be made local and assigned as 0 and the working directory could be changed back at the end of the UDF. It does work.

it would have to look like this:

WarUdf(@AppDataDir & "\Program.ini", "test.ini", "test section", "test")

hope it helps :huh2:

Not sure why you call a folder "Program.ini" as that is how the UDF would handle it as.

So, please stop misleading others with this kind of imaginary stuff.

Edited by MHz

@Pieeater:

Ive run this script multiple times and it has always done what ive wanted it to do.

Aslo i use the helpfile as guidance, i quote:

IniWrite ( "filename", "section", "key", "value" )
Parameters:

Filename The filename of the .ini file.

Section The section name in the .ini file.

Key The key name in the in the .ini file.

Value The value to write/change.

@MHz:

It works ? :huh2:

But anyidea on how to make it work when included in a different script ?

To create a file that can be "included" into another script you'd just take the WarUDF function and save it as a .au3 file somewhere accessible to the new scripts. Either in your own includes folder or inside the AutoIt3 include folder. You'd write it like this:

#include-once ; This makes sure that if it's used in more than one UDF it's only added once to prevent error messages

$Read = 1
    Else
    EndIf

Return $read
EndFunc;==> WarUdf()

Another way of writing your UDF would be like this:

#include-once ; This makes sure that if it's used in more than one UDF it's only added once to prevent error messages

$Read = 1
;       FileChangeDir($filedir) ; Unnecessary
        $read = IniRead($filedir & "\" & $filename, $section, $var, 0) ;Read the ini file, if nothing found $read = 0.
    Else
    EndIf

Return $read
EndFunc;==> WarUdf()

By the way, I see that you check to see if the file's folder exists before reading the ini file, but you never check to see if the ini file itself exists.

Edited by BrewManNH

No, cause if the Ini file doesnt exist it return 0 wich means it hasnt been ran before :huh2:

But it just occured to me what i have done wrong!

One critical thing i left in a function i removed since it was unnecessary!

There is a big possibility you just fixed my script ;)

This is going better than i could ever hope for!

I relised i removed the function with IniWrite witout adding it again!

But new problem:

#include <WarUDF.au3>

$var = WarUdf(@AppDataDir & "\Program","test.ini","variable","section")
MsgBox(0,"",$read)
Exit

WarUdf.au3

The UDF file ^

says, "$read is not a defined variable"

why does it work if i put this together with my udf in one script and not without?

if i add

Global $read
It works!

Wait... i think it just hit me!

You shouldn't be reading the $read variable, you should be reading the $var variable. The $read variable should be declared as Local inside the UDF, the $var variable should be declared as Global outside the function. Unless you absolutely need to have the variable be global, there's no reason to declare it that way. Since your return value is the value contained in $read locally, the $var variable will inherit that value when it calls your function. This way your variables don't intersect outside the function, which could cause issues in other parts of your script if you use the variable $read anywhere else, or if someone else does that might use your UDF.

YES!!!

I FIXED IT!!!

I HAVE A WORKING SCRIPT!!!

Test script:

#include <WarUDF.au3>
MsgBox(0,"",$read)
Exit

UDF script:

WarUdf.au3

You shouldn't be reading the $read variable, you should be reading the $var variable. The $read variable should be declared as Local inside the UDF, the $var variable should be declared as Global outside the function. Unless you absolutely need to have the variable be global, there's no reason to declare it that way. Since your return value is the value contained in $read locally, the $var variable will inherit that value when it calls your function. This way your variables don't intersect outside the function, which could cause issues in other parts of your script if you use the variable $read anywhere else, or if someone else does that might use your UDF.

Didnt see this post.

But now i feel so stupid! :huh2:

I gottcha, fixing this later!

Fixed test script:

#include <WarUDF.au3>
MsgBox(0,"",$var)
Exit

Fixed UDF script:

WarUDF.au3

It returns 0 for first time the script is ran, and 1 if it already has been ran before.