Reading basic information about a dvd

Hi

I was looking for a way to read some information of a disc (CD/DVD), like "disc type" or "manufacturer" or some other things that you can get from softwares like "nero disc speed". Is there any way I can do it using Autoit ?

I have also searched for a command line software to retrieve the data through it and use it in my software, but i couldn't find one.

I'll appreciate any help.

thanks in advance :huh2:

So since no body helps, i thought id say:

Hi!

I dont know anything about dvd functions combined with AutoIt!

I did a search[LINK] on this forum, and i could find anything about that kinda stuff.

But in one of the topics they were talking about some info files and stuff.

If you can find an information file with the info you need, you could probably find a way to read it (decode it if thats needed) and present it in a program.

I would recomend searching the forum more and then google with the keywords autoit, dvd, infofile and other files that might contain that info.

Im do not have any projects right now so ill try to help.

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Hobby graphics artist, using gimp.Automating pc stuff, using AutoIt.Listening to music, using Grooveshark.[/font]Scripts:[spoiler]Simple ScreenshotSaves you alot of trouble when taking a screenshot!Don't remember what happened with this, but aperantly the exe is all i got.If you don't want to run it, simply don't._IsRun UDFIt figures out if the script has ben ran before based on the info in a ini file.If you don't want to use exactly what i wrote, you can use it as inspiration.[/spoiler]

Hi

I was looking for a way to read some information of a disc (CD/DVD), like "disc type" or "manufacturer" or some other things that you can get from softwares like "nero disc speed". Is there any way I can do it using Autoit ?

I have also searched for a command line software to retrieve the data through it and use it in my software, but i couldn't find one.

I'll appreciate any help.

thanks in advance :huh2:

I think ... (but I am not sure because I never had to worry about) that the info you look it´s located here:

DVD-Video Info

If you permit me an advice: C++ or a free DVD API library (on sourceforge surely must be something ...).

Good luck!

Learn, learn and ... learn

So after i googled "how to read disc type from a dvd" i found a page on wikipedia about MID (Link) and it says:

The DVD is made of a spiral groove read or written starting at the center. The form of the groove encodes unalterable identification data known as Media Identification Code (MID). The MID contains data such as the manufacturer and model, byte capacity, allowed data rates (also known as speed), etc.

And then, i now forgot how, i got a link to ATIP (Link) wich says:

Absolute Time in Pregroove (ATIP) is a method of storing information on an optical medium, used on CD-R and other writable discs. ATIP information is only readable on CD-R and CD-RW drives, as normal drives don't need the information stored on it.

and

ATIP is used as a method of putting data on an optical medium, specifically:

Manufacturer

Writable/Rewritable

Dye type

Spiral length in blocks

Rated speed

Audio

Now you just have to find a way to read MDI and ATIP (Maybe there are more kinds, but i didnt check) and present the findings in your autoit script

@realshyfox:

I took a look at the link you posted, and its about information for the DVD file, not the disk itself.

Edited by Maffe811

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Hobby graphics artist, using gimp.Automating pc stuff, using AutoIt.Listening to music, using Grooveshark.[/font]Scripts:[spoiler]Simple ScreenshotSaves you alot of trouble when taking a screenshot!Don't remember what happened with this, but aperantly the exe is all i got.If you don't want to run it, simply don't._IsRun UDFIt figures out if the script has ben ran before based on the info in a ini file.If you don't want to use exactly what i wrote, you can use it as inspiration.[/spoiler]

thanks realshyfox, I'm not looking for DVD-Video info but your right about DVD API library, I should try it but i prefer to use a simple command line program that just gives me the "book type" of the disc and that's all.

thank you too Maffe811,

actually there are lots of programs that can read the ATIP but most of them are GUI based and i wanted a simple command line base program.

after a little search i found cdrecord and it does the job but it's hard to read and it gets messy when i have multiple drives.

So i'm still gonna search for another small command line program that just let me read the basic information of the disc.

I'll appreciate any help finding such program.

ImgBurn will do it, though it does flash for a second i am sure there is a way to suppress that. Throw this in your imgburn folder and run it, the resulting array should have everything you are after.

;DVDINFO

#include 
#Include 

Global $Farray

runwait ('imgburn /MODE Discovery /INFO "c:\discovery.log" /CLOSEINFO' , '' , @SW_HIDE)

_FileReadToArray ("c:\discovery.log" , $Farray)

_ArrayDisplay ($Farray , "File Read")
Edited by iamtheky

,-. .--. ________ .-. .-. ,---. ,-. .-. .-. .-.
|(| / /\ \ |\ /| |__ __||| | | || .-' | |/ / \ \_/ )/
(_) / /__\ \ |(\ / | )| | | `-' | | `-. | | / __ \ (_)
| | | __ | (_)\/ | (_) | | .-. | | .-' | | \ |__| ) (
| | | | |)| | \ / | | | | | |)| | `--. | |) \ | |
`-' |_| (_) | |\/| | `-' /( (_)/( __.' |((_)-' /(_|
'-' '-' (__) (__) (_) (__)

wow, I tested it and It's even more than i want, iamtheky thanks a lot

but as you said there's this flash of the program that bothers me.

i checked the readme file related to imgburn's switches but found nothing about silent or hidden run of the program.

do you have any idea how i can do that ?

I'm about to search about it but i'll be happy to hear any comment from you.

thanks again pal :huh2:

Edited by lordsepid

It should be possible!

Why dont you give it a try :huh2:

If i have time il check into the flash screen thing if no one beats me to it!

I have an idea:

You cant hide imgburn, but what if you can put imgburn in something you can hide.

But i dont know what , just an idea.

Edit:

Idea #2:

Move it offscreen if its possible!

Edited by Maffe811

Maffe811

I didn't get your first idea but i'll search for it, seems a little interesting.

but about the second one, i don't think the logo would go offscreen.

at first the logo comes up for a few seconds and then the program window flashes.

even the program window wouldn't stay much on the screen to move it off.

I'm still trying to do it legal way.

I was thinking if you could attatch the ImgBurn window in a GUI and hide the GUi.

But i dont think that would work, but... i dont know! Im to fresh!

It seems the imgburn GUI has to be up in order to be read by their command, but you can still splash a gui over theirs and display something else.

#include <WindowsConstants.au3>
#include <array.au3>
#Include <File.au3>

GUIcreate ("" , 800 , 800 , -1 , -1 , $WS_POPUPWINDOW, $WS_EX_TOPMOST)
GUISetBkColor (0x666666)
Guisetstate ()

Global $Farray

runwait ('imgburn /MODE Discovery /INFO "c:\discovery.log" /CLOSEINFO')

_FileReadToArray ("c:\discovery.log" , $Farray)

Guisetstate (@SW_HIDE)

_ArrayDisplay ($Farray , "File Read")

,-. .--. ________ .-. .-. ,---. ,-. .-. .-. .-.
|(| / /\ \ |\ /| |__ __||| | | || .-' | |/ / \ \_/ )/
(_) / /__\ \ |(\ / | )| | | `-' | | `-. | | / __ \ (_)
| | | __ | (_)\/ | (_) | | .-. | | .-' | | \ |__| ) (
| | | | |)| | \ / | | | | | |)| | `--. | |) \ | |
`-' |_| (_) | |\/| | `-' /( (_)/( __.' |((_)-' /(_|
'-' '-' (__) (__) (_) (__)

You can have a 2 second black screen.

Freak the user out :huh2:

Edit:

Another idea (Im full of em ;) )

Screenshot, then show the screenshot for the 2 seconds, then remove it :alien:

Edited by Maffe811

You might be interested in trying your approach with this tool.

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

You may also be able to contact the author and see if he has any interest in adding command line functionality to it.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

I just read in a different topic you shouldnt get tunnel vision and focus on one solution!

so what if imgburn isnt the solution ?

so i goooooogled...

CDRECORD can do it, though the output is a little cluttered

It seems to do what you want, but i cant find a download, and there was one guy writing "it has command lines"... thats all i could figure out...

But why not write your own ? Just saying...

Edit:

Found this, if it helps:

ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/win32/

Edited by Maffe811

It seems the imgburn GUI has to be up in order to be read by their command, but you can still splash a gui over theirs and display something else.

Man that's an excellent idea, i really liked it. ;)

also mixing this idea with what Maffe811 said about screenshot is gonna give me the solution i was looking for.

GEOSoft, I've tested dvd identifier and it wasn't based on command line but maybe talking to the author would help, thanks for the comment.

Maffe811, I've used CdRecord too as i said in my fourth post. it gets even more complicated if you have multiple optical drives.

thank you all. i'm gonna be busy all night with these ideas and hopefully tomorrow it would be done.

wish you all great days, love you :huh2: