what are the chances ?

Hi,

I,v spent over a year constructing an app which has been released as freeware on many download sites.

I have just seen a comment on a forum that has me a little concerned, a chap has commented that he is going to try to extract my exe.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/473199-speed-tester/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A%20thaivisa24%20%28Today%27s%20best%20Thaivisa%20topics%29

There are a couple of things in the code that i would rather not have people seeing and so im wondering what the chances are that he might succeed ?

If people think its quite possible then i might post him a suggestion that i could do what hes trying to do for him, otherwise i wont worry so much.

THIS IS NOT A REQUEST FOR POINTERS ON THE SUBJECT OF DE-COMPILING !

Cheers all.

Thx all,Jack Dinn.

JD's Auto Internet Speed Tester

JD's Clip Catch (With Screen Shot Helper)

Projects :- AutoIt - My projects

My software never has bugs. It just develops random features. :-D

Are you sure they meant that, because they could have meant creating a wrapper for Portable use, like PortableApps.com does. Also the topic has been discussed before so search the Forums for advice.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

hmm, quite possible now you come to mention it.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that my assumption is incorrect :huh2:

thx.

p.s. i didn't search the subject as i seriously didnt expect to find anything (for obvious reasons)

Edited by JackDinn

Thx all,Jack Dinn.

Hi,

It is sufficiently safe so as to keep the average user/programmer from peering at your source.

However, including sensitive information in your source is unwise as this practice serves to motivate the "wrong-doers".

To discourage users from going this route, you can include a clause in the terms and conditions of using/downloading your application with respect to prohibiting reverse engineering(or attempts at doing so).

As guinness pointed out, the forum is richly populated with posts of this nature, as you are not the first to be concerned with your scripts' security.

Perhaps this discussion should be closed on this note as it treads the finer line of a topic that really ought not to be discussed on this forum as per the recently revised Forum Rules.

-smartee

To discourage users from going this route, you can include a clause in the terms and conditions of using/downloading your application with respect to prohibiting reverse engineering(or attempts at doing so).

Totally ineffective. They'll do it anyway.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

legal recourse ! you must think im rich or powerful :huh2: especially as it kinda looks like hes in Thailand, personally believe disclaimers are only effective as a deterrent against corporations.

Thing is he only needs to drop me a note and id be quite happy to do it for him !

Edited by JackDinn

Thx all,Jack Dinn.

I was told:

If they really want your source, they will get it.

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Hobby graphics artist, using gimp.Automating pc stuff, using AutoIt.Listening to music, using Grooveshark.[/font]Scripts:[spoiler]Simple ScreenshotSaves you alot of trouble when taking a screenshot!Don't remember what happened with this, but aperantly the exe is all i got.If you don't want to run it, simply don't._IsRun UDFIt figures out if the script has ben ran before based on the info in a ini file.If you don't want to use exactly what i wrote, you can use it as inspiration.[/spoiler]

well i kinda always thought that anyone determined enough would get what they were after which was why i decided I would give it away, in my thought process that would stop any attempts to hack it, looks like i didn't think that through properly.

Thx all,Jack Dinn.

I've had 3 pieces of software "Stolen" and all 3 were freeware. Hardly worth the trouble to steal it but they did anyway. Any of them could have asked for the source and I would have given it to them to save them some time.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

Wow jack, Thats a pretty nice piece of software you got there.

Looks neat! I can understand why people like it.

ongoing projects:-firestorm: Largescale P2P Social NetworkCompleted Autoit Programs/Scripts: Variable Pickler | Networked Streaming Audio (in pure autoIT) | firenet p2p web messenger | Proxy Checker | Dynamic Execute() Code Generator | P2P UDF | Graph Theory Proof of Concept - Breadth First search

well thx Hyperzap, the nice feedback is the best "fee" i could ask for (pity most people just "hit and run" but thats ok :huh2:).

I'll shoot that back your way , nice work on the p2p udf !

Thx all,Jack Dinn.

Are you sure they meant that, because they could have meant creating a wrapper for Portable use, like PortableApps.com does. Also the topic has been discussed before so search the Forums for advice.

I'm almost sure that's the meaning of the post.

As for getting source from exe ... I thought that is possible only when interpreter-like language was used. C/C++ can't be decompiled into readable source.

All resources (strings, icons, maybe even comments if exe is debug-compiled) should be easily extractable

In the end the question is "is there a platform that is %100 secure" and off course the answer is nop !

If Microsoft , Adobe, etc have there software hacked every which way from Sunday what chance do any of us have.

Thx all,Jack Dinn.

Just close your eyes and hope for the best :huh2:

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Hobby graphics artist, using gimp.Automating pc stuff, using AutoIt.Listening to music, using Grooveshark.[/font]Scripts:[spoiler]Simple ScreenshotSaves you alot of trouble when taking a screenshot!Don't remember what happened with this, but aperantly the exe is all i got.If you don't want to run it, simply don't._IsRun UDFIt figures out if the script has ben ran before based on the info in a ini file.If you don't want to use exactly what i wrote, you can use it as inspiration.[/spoiler]

• Moderators

You've handled this thread in a respectable and professional manner.

Having said that, I'd suggest 2 things.

1. If you're not already doing it; Obfuscate.

2. Try Mobius's option here:

As you said, if it's going to happen, it's going to happen. But those are 2 "easy" steps that don't take months of learning to add just the slightest bit of extra peace of mind.

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Thx for your input SmOke_N,

I do partially obfuscate, /so, but i decided not so fully obfuscate as it makes it almost impossible for me to debug if users send me an "error at line"

Mobius has already been good enough to pm me with a heads up on his AI3Camo.

Its just a case of me having to get used to the fact that there is not much i can really do, at best i can delay these people but other than that there is no holy grail.

Cheers.

Thx all,Jack Dinn.