Running Autoit script from Another non-autoit program

Can you call an AutoIt script from another program and have the AutoIt script return a value?

I use IBM Rational Robot for testing and I am trying to make up for a short coming in that software. I have a string value that is in EBCDIC that I need to convert to ASCII. Rational Robot can not do this but I found this AutoIt topic explaining how to do it in AutoIt. I was hoping to create a simple AutoIt script using the code in that forum topic, compile it as .EXE and then call it from Rational Robot. Is there a way to have AutoIt return a value if called from another program? Maybe using command line method of executing the script?

• Moderators

Did you try to simply use ConsoleWrite() or maybe pipe it?

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.

Can you call an AutoIt script from another program and have the AutoIt script return a value?

I use IBM Rational Robot for testing and I am trying to make up for a short coming in that software. I have a string value that is in EBCDIC that I need to convert to ASCII. Rational Robot can not do this but I found this AutoIt topic explaining how to do it in AutoIt. I was hoping to create a simple AutoIt script using the code in that forum topic, compile it as .EXE and then call it from Rational Robot. Is there a way to have AutoIt return a value if called from another program? Maybe using command line method of executing the script?

If Rational Robot allows you to cretae a gui with inputs or edits, or already has available inputs, then you could call the exe with the EBCDIC string as a parameter as you said, and the script could simply write the answer into an input in the Rational Robot window. If you need to do this many times and very fast then this idea is not so good, but otherwise it's quite simple. (I know nothing about Rational Robot which might already have become obvious.)

Serial port communications UDF Includes functions for binary transmission and reception.printing UDF Useful for graphs, forms, labels, reports etc.Add User Call Tips to SciTE for functions in UDFs not included with AutoIt and for your own scripts.Functions with parameters in OnEvent mode and for Hot Keys One function replaces GuiSetOnEvent, GuiCtrlSetOnEvent and HotKeySet.UDF IsConnected2 for notification of status of connected state of many urls or IPs, without slowing the script.