Autoit Future

I should also add that you want to be careful of what you ask for. Knowing the way it goes around here, if and when we ever see an AutoIt4, you can bet it won't be backwards compatible so all of your existing scripts are out the door or you sit there and convert them.

I think autoitv3 is fine just the way it is, I mean really, there's no need for a v4. Autoit is more than capable of doing for what it was initially designed for and now it's capable of doing so waaaayyyy much more. Besides I really think it's pointless to make it v4 if our scripts can't be backwards compatible, most of us (MOST OF US) actually use autoit for developing applications, so in THEE FUTURE. if there's a v4 and some folks need support for v3 it wouldnt really work to the v3 user's advantage. So if our scripts cant be backwards compatible we have to re-write our apps in v4 code? noooo that will not work, please dont ever make a v4.

[u]My dream is to have a dream...[/u]

Sorry, but ac1dm4n your post is full of stupid. Firstly, this is an English speaking forum, at least try to make it look like English.

I think autoitv3 is fine just the way it is, I mean really, there's no need for a v4.

Seriously? You have no idea.

Autoit is more than capable of doing for what it was initially designed for and now it's capable of doing so waaaayyyy much more.

The same could be said for multiple languages. It's called evolution and adaption. Look at C, Javascript, Visual Basic etc, they all grow with the needs of the community and the languages users.

Besides I really think it's pointless to make it v4 if our scripts can't be backwards compatible, most of us (MOST OF US) actually use autoit for developing applications, so in THEE FUTURE. if there's a v4 and some folks need support for v3 it wouldnt really work to the v3 user's advantage. So if our scripts cant be backwards compatible we have to re-write our apps in v4 code? noooo that will not work, please dont ever make a v4.

If AU4 isn't backwards compatible, you don't upgrade, nobody forces you to. One of the great features of AutoIt is that you can run multiple versions side by side, therefore, even you install v4 by v3, you can still run old scripts.

Edit: Sorry that this post was a tad rude.

Edited by James

@ac1dm4n - What James really meant to say on behalf of all of us, is that your post had a fair measure of silliness, because it was ill thought out. He's a wonderful chap, very clever and all, and we love him to bits, but he can be a bit aggressive sometimes (hard life and all).He hangs around with very bright people, and forgets sometimes that most others aint that way.

For the record, I agree with some of what you said, but a little differently and for different reasons no doubt.

Unfortunately, it seems that person who provided the statement you quoted, probably should have done it a little differently, for I feel it has led you astray.

Anyway, back to the nitty gritty. The following is an elaboration for yourself and others of a like mind, etc.

1) While v3 may be fine for you as is, there are always those who require more from it, and you shouldn't make such a request that is so self-motivated and lacking in forward thinking.

2) As Windows and all sorts of other programs evolve, that one may want AutoIt to interact with, so must AutoIt evolve.

3) Nobody can ever force you to stop using v3, and to be honest, the Forum is so choc-a-block with examples for all sorts of things, that you never need go for want of an answer somewhere within.

4) The user base for v3 is huge, unlike v2, so there will still be experts around for quite some time.

5) Where you and I are in a little agreement, is where I fail to see the Forum splitting again, so that we have a v4 section. I think that will be too hard to maintain along with a continuing v3 section, and I doubt many bonafide users will switch over immediately, so it will be an awful lot of work to keep both running, and they would each inevitably suffer.

6) It is also evident to me after many discussions with various MVP's and Dev's etc, that many of them only work on the code and rarely use it themselves, certainly not for full-blown programs, and rarely sometimes for scripts. So there is an element of truth in that aspect of what you said. Still, they are generally more in touch with worldly programming changes, and often more forward thinking than the rest of us, so I advise just going with the flow.

7) Personally, I think v4 is a long way off.

8) Also personally, I still fluctuate between v3.2.4.9 and version 3.3.0.0 and have never really felt the need to update, and I'm sure there are plenty more like me out there, so really there is nothing to worry about.

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

What James really meant to say on behalf of all of us, is that your post had a fair measure of silliness, because it was ill thought out. He's a wonderful chap, very clever and all, and we love him to bits, but he can be a bit aggressive sometimes (hard life and all).He hangs around with very bright people, and forgets sometimes that most others aint that way.

Nah the Aggressive part doesn't bother me at @

TheSaint

And

James

Maybe he should have said it a little bit differently

Unfortunately, it seems that person who provided the statement you quoted, probably should have done it a little differently, for I feel it has led you astray.

But no heart ache on my side, this is just a forum after all and therefore folk's opinions towards others in a personal way is just nitty gritty stuff so it doesn't really make my

day worse. :shifty:

But anyhow I am not really english speaking I come from south Africa and I don't live in an english community, so if my english bothers you so much JAMES then you should speak to a moderator to get me kicked off the forum, if that will make you happy.

And Saint you do have a point, I should have thought of it that way

2) As Windows and all sorts of other programs evolve, that one may want AutoIt to interact with, so must AutoIt evolve.

Sorry if I am not as smart as you all, I will make sure to go study some more. Then I will come back and make some "evolutionary" Post.

But anyhow I am not really english speaking I come from south Africa and I don't live in an english community, so if my english bothers you so much JAMES then you should speak to a moderator to get me kicked off the forum, if that will make you happy.

That's not my intention or what I implied.

And Saint you do have a point, I should have thought of it that way

Sorry if I am not as smart as you all, I will make sure to go study some more. Then I will come back and make some "evolutionary" Post.

Only glad I could help ... and don't worry I wasn't always this smart ... lol. muttley

I hope you do as you say, for we always need more help and more brilliance here ... and in the world in general. :idea:

Still, so long as you are a decent person, you will always be welcome here, regardless of skill, etc. :D

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

If you are like me it's an afternoon thing. Mornings roughly halve my IQ.

Because my sleep pattern is shot and I'm all over the place, so is my IQ too.

Though oddly enough, it seems high at the strangest of times.

I prefer to see my IQ as QI ... it's more entertaining and quite interesting that way.

Spoiler

userbar.png

Just keep that salt shaker you had in the previous

and add a pinch of salt to everything.

I'm the village idiot, so don't you worry about looking dumb.

No offence towards idiots.

Edited by Xandy

I might not be as informed with programming languages like c, c++, java, visual c# and so forth. I am one of the unlucky folks that does not have access to some bursary or rich parents that would pay for a course in some programming language that would give me extensive knowledge about programming in general. I had to teach my self on how to program/code in a language I knew nothing of at the time.Sure I might feel as if I know a lot of Autoit but I realize more every day that I dont really know that much, I was pressurized when I started to learn autoit to develop a full-blown application. Becuase at the time it was my only method of making a survival becuase I was unemployed at the time.

I like autoit, someone once said autoit has as much limits as you want to limit the language to - and I know now that is true, I think Valik made that statement. I like autoit just the way it is and I will most likely never switch to some Other language. But do note I have started learning some intense language like c++ and it has indeed taught me a lot. I know now there is not limit in autoit, it is very strong and can be compared to something like visual c#, Sure the language is still growing but I know for a fact there are a lot of gifted people that is challanging tasks like BUILDING games and many other tasks. 'Autoit I think you are the best thing that has happened to me' I love you!!! And i DO appreciate the fact that there is so much support on this forum...