Autoit Future

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Mobile

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

Windows Mobile is the old name for version 6 and below. Now it's Windows Phone.

Hi Richard,

So, it's similar to win XP and 7 (or is in betwen them? Or is more like WinCE? And in terms of AU3, any chance? I'm assuming that for WinCE there is no chance...

It's closer to Win CE and the easiest way to look at it is this:

If it's non-Windows or any non-standard Windows platform; there is little to no hope of it ever being supported.

EDIT: The reason I say little to No hope is to help people avoid a major letdown after a prolonged period of time they spend waiting.

Edited by GEOSoft

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

I think there`s no need to support non Windows platforms, and I know that many autoit user want to write apps in IOS,Android,etc.. like

GuiCreate(),GuiCtrlCreate(),... ;)

For me , it would be enough if Windows 8 will be supported, I read that apps are going to be written in HTML & JScript.

If Autoit has to be rewritten for supporting Windows 8, I hope that au3/4 will be multi-threaded.

citation from the Things NOT on the ToDo List :

"It would be far more beneficial to re-write AutoIt and add in multi-threading that way. "

Greetz Devol :huh2:

Edited by Devol

I really hope that you misread something. If apps were going to HTML and JScript, I'd have to stab someone.

I think by JScript he means Javascript... Yes, proper Javascript.

Have you seen the new metro interface? Apparently they'll be powered by HTML, CSS and Javascript. A lot of developers are wondering whether native code will be supported too (it better had be...) but there has been no reply from a MS rep. Posted Image

Win8: Free Download, New with supplementary sticker "Wash hands before using", "FileExplorer not included")

"Straight_and_Crooked_Thinking" : A "classic guide to ferreting out untruths, half-truths, and other distortions of facts in political and social discussions."
"The Secrets of Quantum Physics" : New and excellent 2 part documentary on Quantum Physics by Jim Al-Khalili. (Dec 2014)

"Believing what you know ain't so" ...

Knock Knock ...

I can't say I like the new interface at all.

I'm worried for what Visual Studio's next version will look like too.

They're not meant for the same audience, there's no reason to believe any similar changes will come to Visual Studio.

see more this on Win 8 , that has on it's foundation not just intel, but ARM, etc. too.

And a question, at the end of the text there is " ... maybe even replacing what we know as Windows Phone 7 today ...". Anyone knows what is this?

So, coming back to the begining of this thread, that probably means that if AU3 would run on Win8 (and probably will, asat worst it runs "old" Win 7 applications), it will run also on mobile and very cheap devices. Maybe not with all that "gestures" interface, but will run (as I mentioned), in control applications.

Jose

So, coming back to the begining of this thread, that probably means that if AU3 would run on Win8 (and probably will, asat worst it runs "old" Win 7 applications), it will run also on mobile and very cheap devices. Maybe not with all that "gestures" interface, but will run (as I mentioned), in control applications.

If you're suggesting that AutoIt will run on Windows Phones because you're assuming it's the same OS, then no, you're wrong.

Microsoft even said in that video, something along the lines of:

We realise people want their desktop and their laptops to be different from their phones

So no. AutoIt wont run on it.

Although I'm going a bit off topic here this seems like a good place to post it.

Has anyone considered the possibility of AU3 going open source if and when AU4 comes out? I was disappointed to learn that AutoIT at one time was indeed open source. Although I wasn't around back then to learn why it went closed source, it's still rather disappointing.

It's not hard to discover the reason. The short of it is, there was a similar project that leeched our code with minimal credit and not even a courtesy, "Mind if I use this bit of code". All perfectly acceptable behavior according to the license agreement and stuff, but a rather scummy thing to do. It left a bad taste in my mouth, at least, and I believe Jon's as well. Made all the more worse due to a bunch of other stuff like Google adwords manipulation, using our forum to promote his product, et cetera.

License agreements cover more than just being able to see the source. You could license machine code "source" with a license that controls derivative works and how modifications are handled. I think it would be a pretty standard license with the only difference being the redistribution section would be omitted or much different since the source and binary forms would be the same.

• 2 months later...

I would think the right time for AutoIt 4.0 would be exactly when the Devs decided to make a substantial break with backwards compatibility. Rewriting all the native functions in COM property/method syntax for example.

Absent that kind of big break, 3.x continues to make good sense.

:mellow:

Maybe they are cooking something behind the scenes. ie. 3.x mostly been getting bug fixes, hope for 2012 (10 years of AutoIt3) to change all that.