Menubar click detection?

Hello everyone.

I am gurrently working on a small project, and I have not gotten too far in, and I am trying to understand how to get a menubar to work. I have made my menubar, but the problem is that when I click on an item in the menubar assigned to a variable, using the GUIGetMsg function to detect if it is clicked, it does not respond.

This is a similar code (I am showing this because it is smaller and easier for me to get my head around)

#include <GUIConstantsEX.au3>
#include <GuiMenu.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>

Global $hGUI        = GUICreate("Program", @DesktopWidth*0.75, @DesktopHeight*0.75, @DesktopWidth*0.125, @DesktopHeight*0.125, 0x010F0000)
GUISetState()
;CREATING THE FILE MENU
    Local $hFile        = _GUICtrlMenu_CreateMenu()
    Local $hFNew        = _GUICtrlMenu_InsertMenuItem($hFile, 0, "&New")
    Local $hFOpen       = _GUICtrlMenu_InsertMenuItem($hFile, 1, "&Open")
    Local $hFSave       = _GUICtrlMenu_InsertMenuItem($hFile, 2, "&Save")
                          _GUICtrlMenu_InsertMenuItem($hFile, 3, "")
    Global $hFExit      = _GUICtrlMenu_InsertMenuItem($hFile, 4, "&Exit")
;CREATING THE MENUBAR
    Local $hMenu        = _GUICtrlMenu_CreateMenu(1)
                          _GUICtrlMenu_InsertMenuItem($hMenu, 1, "&File", 1, $hFile)
                          _GUICtrlMenu_SetMenu($hGUI, $hMenu)

_Main()

Func _Main()
    While 1
        $msg = GUIGetMsg(1)
        Select
            Case $msg[0] = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
                Exit
            Case $msg[0] = $hFExit
                Exit
        EndSelect
    WEnd
EndFunc

So when I click on Exit in the file menu, it should exit the program, but it doesnt.

I have looked in the help file and the forums but found nothing. Does anybody know where I am going wrong?

Thanks.

Michael Thompson

Try this:

#include <GuiMenu.au3>

Global $hGUI        = GUICreate("Program", @DesktopWidth*0.75, @DesktopHeight*0.75, @DesktopWidth*0.125, @DesktopHeight*0.125, 0x010F0000)

Global Enum $idExit = 1000, $idNew, $idOpen, $idSave
;CREATING THE FILE MENU
    Local $hFile        = _GUICtrlMenu_CreateMenu()
    Local $hFNew        = _GUICtrlMenu_InsertMenuItem($hFile, 0, "&New", $idNew)
    Local $hFOpen       = _GUICtrlMenu_InsertMenuItem($hFile, 1, "&Open", $idOpen)
    Local $hFSave       = _GUICtrlMenu_InsertMenuItem($hFile, 2, "&Save", $idSave)
                          _GUICtrlMenu_InsertMenuItem($hFile, 3, "")
    Global $hFExit      = _GUICtrlMenu_InsertMenuItem($hFile, 4, "&Exit", $idExit)
;CREATING THE MENUBAR
    Local $hMenu        = _GUICtrlMenu_CreateMenu(1)
                          _GUICtrlMenu_InsertMenuItem($hMenu, 1, "&File", 1, $hFile)
                          _GUICtrlMenu_SetMenu($hGUI, $hMenu)

GUISetState()

GUIRegisterMsg($WM_COMMAND, "WM_COMMAND")

_Main()

Func _Main()
    While 1
        $msg = GUIGetMsg(1)
        Select
            Case $msg[0] = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
                Exit
            Case $msg[0] = $hFExit
                Exit
        EndSelect
    WEnd
EndFunc

Func WM_COMMAND($hWnd, $Msg, $wParam, $lParam)
    #forceref $hWnd, $Msg, $wParam, $lParam
    Switch $wParam
        Case $idExit
            Exit MsgBox(0, "Information", "Closing")
        Case $idNew
            MsgBox(0, "Information", "Your new function starts here")
        Case $idOpen
            MsgBox(0, "Information", "Your open function starts here")
        Case $idSave
            MsgBox(0, "Information", "Your save function starts here")
    EndSwitch
    Return "GUI_RUNDEFMSG"
EndFunc   ;==>WM_COMMAND

Br,

UEZ

Please don't send me any personal message and ask for support! I will not reply!

Selection of finest graphical examples at Codepen.io

The own fart smells best!
Her 'sikim hıyar' diyene bir avuç tuz alıp koşma!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯  ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ૐ

Or this one.

;#include <GuiMenu.au3>  ;; This UDF has limited usage so don't use it when possible

Global $hGUI        = GUICreate("Program", @DesktopWidth*0.75, @DesktopHeight*0.75, @DesktopWidth*0.125, @DesktopHeight*0.125, 0x010F0000)

;CREATING THE FILE MENU
    Local $hFile        = GUICtrlCreateMenu("&File")
    Local $hFNew        = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("&New", $hFile)
    Local $hFOpen       = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("&Open", $hFile)
    Local $hFSave       = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("&Save", $hFile)
                          GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("", $hFile)
    Global $hFExit      = GUICtrlCreateMenuItem("&Exit", $hFile)
;CREATING THE MENUBAR
    ;Local $hMenu        = GUICtrlCreateMenu(1)
     ;                     GUICtrlCreateMenuItem($hMenu, 1, "&File", 1, $hFile)
     ;                     _GUICtrlMenu_SetMenu($hGUI, $hMenu)
GUISetState()

_Main()

Func _Main()
    While 1
        $msg = GUIGetMsg()
        Switch $Msg
            Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE, $hFExit
                Exit
            Case $hFNew To $hFSave
                MsgBox(0, "Item Clicked", GUICtrlRead($msg, 1))
        EndSwitch
    WEnd
EndFunc

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

I said thanks earlier but it obviously didnt send. Thanks to all of you, all of your suggestions worked, but in the end, my brother showed me GUICtrlCreateMenu and so that is what I am using, and so I guess that GEOSoft got the best answer as far as coder friendly, but also, I cannot say that without saying that UEZ's code worked a charm, and ahmet's input helped me understand why what I was doing didnt work. Hahaha You are a Bright bunch (:huh2::idea:;)), aren't you?

Thank you all, now I just need to figure out how to mark this as solved.

Or this is an Example if you just want to monitor when GUICtrlCreateMenu is Clicked >>

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018