Could anyone help me understanding how stringRegexpReplace works?

@GeoSoft,

Glad to offer you a free seat for this movie. _You_ pay the ice-cream, of course!

@E1M1,

Let's look at the offending subject part and corresponding pattern:

subject = "var *__stdcall"
patternfail = "(\w+\s*\*?)\s+(\w+)"
We have that \w+ matches'var'
\s* matches the space after it
\*? matches the asterisk
\s+ needs one space but the subject only has '__stdcall'
matching fails

changing that last part into
\s* matches (nothing) but doesn't fail, then the rest follows
\w+ matches the rest of the subject (the part we're looking at of course)

The only outstanding bit is how many times I got it wrong as I didn't have enough time to anticipate what you could encounter.

Edited by jchd

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll buy the ice cream. Just come and get it.

I have bigger problems to solve today anyway, I just discovered I've been distributing the wrong database with the toolkit and now I'm going to have to write code to patch the database on a per-system basis. It's missing one table but just overwriting the DB won't work because the user may have already saved new libraries to the one on their system.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

Wow, that make a nice movie for me to imagine!

Seriously, may I help?

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

Wow, that make a nice movie for me to imagine!

Seriously, may I help?

I will likely be in touch with you on IM in the next few days and thanks for the offer. I'm beginning to think that I should really have used 2 DBs (where the second one held the user created libraries) to begin with so I want to spend a day or so just looking at my options. No sense in messing it up twice.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

@E1M1,

No problem. You'll discover that the possibilities offered by those cryptic series of unusual characters can express really complex and powerful grammars.

Again I couldn't avoid those pesky delays in answering and not being anticipative.

Those delays are not problem. sometime I tend to delay too specially when I go sleep (what I will do in 10 minutes)

do you have any example of "really complex and powerful grammars" ?

edited

Not right now but I'll find a good one soon. Have a cool night the other side of the Channel.

TIP:

Don't make expressions any more complex than you need them to be. If you do you; can have nightmares when you are trying to read it yourself.

Tip #2:

You can also nest StringRegExpReplace() which is sometimes a simple way to accomplish something.

Edited by GEOSoft

George