How do I set focus to/select a ListViewItem?

nf67

_GUICtrlListView_SetItemFocused() perhaps?

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Can't get it to work for some reason, using _GUICtrlListView_SetItemFocused($ListView, $IndexNumber) and nothing happens Posted Image.

Also, is there no function which uses the ListViewItem handler, rather than the indexnumber it has in the ListView?

$hWnd - Handle to the control

Are you using the ControlID or the Handle which can be found by using GUICtrlGetHandle($iListView)? Because this uses the Handle not the ControlID. If you still have the problem could you post some code so I can help you :huh2:

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

That's actually the handle for the ListView, not the ListViewItem, as can be seen in the example in the helpfile.

(edit: Ah I get what you're saying now, I was using the ControlID for the ListView, it seems to accept both, even though it only says handle in the helpfile.

Still need a 'real' selection though, as described below. And it would be nice if I could use the ControlID or handle for the item itself.)

Also, I now see that it only draws a dotted border around the item and doesn't actually select it the way it happens when you click it (making the item appear blue), which is what I need in the end.

Here's some code to test things with:

#Include <GuiListView.au3>

HotKeySet("q","Quit")
HotKeySet("a","Add")
HotKeySet("f","Focus")

$GUI = GUICreate("GUI",180,300)
$List = GUICtrlCreateListView("#|Random|Random|",0,0,180,300)
GUISetState()

$ItemNumber = 0
$FocusItem = 3 ;Item to set focus to once F is pressed.
dim $Item[21]

While 1
    Sleep(100)
WEnd

Func Add()
    If $ItemNumber < 21 Then
        $Item[$ItemNumber] = GUICtrlCreateListViewItem("",$List)
        GUICtrlSetData($Item[$ItemNumber],$ItemNumber &"|"& Random(0,100,1) &"|"& Chr(Random(65,90,1)))
        $ItemNumber = $ItemNumber + 1
    Else
        MsgBox(0,"","No more than 20 items allowed.")
    EndIf
EndFunc

Func Quit()
    Exit
EndFunc

Func Focus()
    If $FocusItem <= $ItemNumber Then
        _GUICtrlListView_SetItemFocused($List,$FocusItem) ; Set focus to the the $FocusItem-th item.
    Else
        MsgBox(0,"","You haven't even added " & $FocusItem & " item(s) yet!")
    EndIf
EndFunc

Thanks for your help

Edited by nf67

Your Example didn't really show anything but if you have a look at GUICtrlCreateListView this Returns a ControlID not a Handle. I was going to use a generic ListView Script I have lying around but I thought it best I just update yours with using GUICtrlGetHandle and passing to the UDF Function, though I couldn't test it fully. Hope this gets you on the right track.

#include <GuiListView.au3>

HotKeySet("q", "Quit")
HotKeySet("a", "Add")
HotKeySet("f", "Focus")

$GUI = GUICreate("GUI", 180, 300)
$iListView = GUICtrlCreateListView("#|Random|Random|", 0, 0, 180, 300)
$hListView = GUICtrlGetHandle(-1) ; <<<<< Handle of ListView.
GUISetState()

$ItemNumber = 0
$FocusItem = 3
Dim $Item[21]

While 1
    Sleep(100)
WEnd

Func Add()
    If $ItemNumber < 21 Then
        $Item[$ItemNumber] = GUICtrlCreateListViewItem("", $iListView)
        GUICtrlSetData($Item[$ItemNumber], $ItemNumber & "|" & Random(0, 100, 1) & "|" & Chr(Random(65, 90, 1)))
        $ItemNumber = $ItemNumber + 1
    Else
        MsgBox(0, "", "No more than 20 items allowed.")
    EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>Add

Func Quit()
    Exit
EndFunc   ;==>Quit

Func Focus()
        _GUICtrlListView_SetItemFocused($hListView, $FocusItem) ; Set focus to the the $FocusItem-th item. By using Handle of ListView.
    Else
        MsgBox(0, "", "You haven't even added " & $FocusItem & " item(s) yet!")
    EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>Focus

UDF List:

Try this change:

Func Focus()
;~         _GUICtrlListView_SetItemFocused($List,$FocusItem) ; Set focus to the the $FocusItem-th item.
        _GUICtrlListView_SetItemSelected ($List,$FocusItem) ; Set focus to the the $FocusItem-th item.
    Else
        MsgBox(0,"","You haven't even added " & $FocusItem & " item(s) yet!")
    EndIf
EndFunc

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

BrewManNH's right if you want it to look as though you have clicked on it.

Some Functions will work with both but some won't, I think _GUICtrlListView_DeleteItem is one which only works with the Handle. I found out the hard way by using the ControlID on the ListView UDF Functions as it worked and I had no reason to use the Handle, but then I was stumped as to why I couldn't delete an Item!! So it's best coding practice to use what the Help File says :huh2:

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

Use _GUICtrlListView_SetItemSelected($List, $FocusItem) instead of _GUICtrlListView_SetItemFocused($List,$FocusItem).

Br,

UEZ

Edit: I was too slow...

Edited by UEZ

Please don't send me any personal message and ask for support! I will not reply!

Selection of finest graphical examples at Codepen.io

The own fart smells best!
Her 'sikim hıyar' diyene bir avuç tuz alıp koşma!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯  ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ૐ

Ah sweet, yeah that's what I meant. Thanks a bunch!

@guinness: I know it only mentions that the parameter should be a handle in the helpfile, but it works fine if you use the ControlID, no need for GUICtrlGetHandle() apparently. There's no difference.

@guinness: I know it only mentions that the parameter should be a handle in the helpfile, but it works fine if you use the ControlID, no need for GUICtrlGetHandle() apparently. There's no difference.

OK, its just something I personally wouldn't do. I think some others will agree too.

And initially I didn't realise you wanted to show the blue selection :huh2:

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

The listview UDF functions try to be smart about the control ID / handle input param. But it's undocumented functionality, and recently I had a problem where it didn't work with _GuiCtrlListView_DeleteItem. If you look at the function, it's a problem because passing a ctrl ID tries to get the item ID via _GUICtrlListView_GetItemParam. But if you didn't create the item with _GuiCtrlListView_AddItem (or similar) with a unique $iParam or with GuiCtrlCreateListViewItem, then the item ID doesn't exist and the function fails. So, be safe and use the handle like the documentation says.

Edited by wraithdu

You'll find a few items in the listview UDF that don't work 100% correctly with a control ID, and some that just don't work at all with one. Of course there's functions in the listview UDF that don't work right with a handle unless you know the secret handshake to get it to work right (sorting for instance).

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator