Referencing files inside subfolders into a combo box

Hi guys, hope you are all well and can assist.

A guru on here has helped me with the following code, which works great.

#include <Array.au3>
#include <File.au3>
#include <GUIComboBox.au3>
#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>

_Main()

Func _Main()
    Local $aFileList, $hCombo, $iCombo

$aFileList = _FileListToArray(@ScriptDir & "\apps", "*.*", 2)
    If @error Then
        MsgBox(0, "", "No Files\Folders Found.")
        Exit
    EndIf

GUICreate('SOMETITLE', 500, 300)
    $iCombo = GUICtrlCreateCombo("Select A Folder", 30, 75, 220, 200)
    $hCombo = GUICtrlGetHandle(-1)

GUICtrlSetData($iCombo, "|" & _ArrayToString($aFileList, "|", 1))

_GUICtrlComboBox_SetEditText($hCombo, "Select A Folder")

GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
    Do
    Until GUIGetMsg() = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
EndFunc   ;==>_Main

What the above does is list the folders underneath @ScriptDir & "\apps", and show them in a combo box.

So, for example:

In the combobox, you have:

app1

app2

app3

Which are subfolders of

d:\test\apps

Instead of listing the subfolders in the combo box, I would like to list the exes (filenames only minus ".exe") inside each of these subfolders in the combo box.

So, for example:

Currently -------------------------------------------> What I would like

app1 app1.exe (which is inside d:\test\apps\app1)

app2 app2.exe (which is inside d:\test\apps\app2)

app3 app3.exe (which is inside d:\test\apps\app3)

So, I think I need to loop through each of these subfolders, scanning for *.exe and then populate the combo box.

Would really appreciate your guys help.

I have attached a screenshot.

post-65297-0-51070900-1308174217_thumb.j

OK, look at _FileListToArray() and change the Flag plus look at StringTrimRight(). Let me know if you have problems?

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Or have a look at this >> normally I user StringRegExpReplace() to get the filename, but for now I'm using StringInStr() to get the position of . and StringLeft().

#include <File.au3>

_Main()

Func _Main()
    Local $aFileList, $hCombo, $iCombo, $sString

$aFileList = _FileListToArray(@ScriptDir, "*.*", 1)
    If @error Then
        Exit
    EndIf

For $A = 1 To $aFileList[0]
        $sFile = _GetFilename($aFileList[$A])
        If @error = 0 Then
            $sString &= $sFile & "|"
        EndIf
    Next

GUICreate('Example Combo', 500, 300)

GUICtrlSetData($iCombo, "|" & $sString)

GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
    Do
EndFunc   ;==>_Main

Func _GetFilename($sFilePath) ; Returns Example $sFilePath = Example.txt
    Local $iPosition = StringInStr($sFilePath, ".", 0, -1)
    If $iPosition = 0 Then
        Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
    EndIf
    Return StringLeft($sFilePath, $iPosition - 1)
EndFunc   ;==>_GetFilename
Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Hi Guiness,

I used

$aFileList = _FileListToArray(@ScriptDir & "\apps", "*.exe", 1)

and found I needed to specify the full path to A folder eg.

$aFileList = _FileListToArray(@ScriptDir & "\apps\app1", "*.exe", 1)

But that lists on the exes inside app1.

I want to list all the exes inside every subfolder, eg.app1, app2, app3 of @ScriptDir & "\apps

Would I need to:

$aFileList = _FileListToArray(@ScriptDir & "\apps\app1", "*.exe", 1)

$aFileList = _FileListToArray(@ScriptDir & "\apps\app2", "*.exe", 1)

$aFileList = _FileListToArray(@ScriptDir & "\apps\app3", "*.exe", 1)

etc

for every subfolder,

or, would I need to somehow loop through each? or use a dir like

DIR @ScriptDir\apps\*.exe /S /B > FileList.txt

and then somehow read this list into an array?

DIR C:\Target\*.* /S /B > FileList.txt" and then parse the file (this actually turns out to be faster than many scripted

OK, sorry instead of _FileListToArray() search for a more advanced _FileListToArray() called RecFileListToArray.au3 by Melba23.

MrCreatoR also as a good Example in Opera that uses the DIR /B Switch too. But first search for the UDF.

UDF List:

Hi Guiness, thanks for that.

I ran your code, and that gives the filenames in the CURRENT directory, but not in the subfolders.

For example,

d:\test\test.au3

d:\test\app.exe

d:\test\appa.exe

d:\test\appb.exe

This will return in the combo box,

app

appa

appb

But it wont get:

d:\test\apps\app1\app1.exe

d:\test\apps\app2\app2.exe

d:\test\apps\app3\app3.exe

d:\test\apps\app4\app4.exe

No you will need to Search for RecFileListToArray.au3 by Melba23, this will list SubFolders. You can see an Example in my signature under _BinaryBin() where I've used RecFileListToArray.au3 by Melba23

UDF List:

UDF List:

Hi Guinness,

Ive given it a go, but not getting the result I thought I would.

Here is what I have so far:

#include <File.au3>
#include "RecFileListToArray.au3"
_Main()

Func _Main()
    Local $aFileList, $hCombo, $iCombo, $sString

;$aFileList = _FileListToArray(@ScriptDir, "*.*", 1)
    ;$aFileList = _RecFileListToArray(@ScriptDir & "\apps\", "*")

$aFileList = _RecFileListToArray(@ScriptDir & "\apps\", "*", 1, 1, 1, 1, "")

If @error Then
        Exit
    EndIf

For $A = 1 To $aFileList[0]
        $sString &= _GetFilename($aFileList[$A]) & "|"
    Next

GUICreate('Example Combo', 500, 300)

GUICtrlSetData($iCombo, "|" & $sString)

GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
    Do
EndFunc   ;==>_Main

Func _GetFilename($sFilePath) ; Returns Example $sFilePath = Example.txt
    Local $iPosition = StringInStr($sFilePath, ".", 0, -1)
    If $iPosition = 0 Then
        Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
    EndIf
    Return StringLeft($sFilePath, $iPosition - 1)
EndFunc   ;==>_GetFilename

post-65297-0-50032000-1308181892_thumb.j

Are you trying to get the contents of the folder Test, or of Test\Apps?

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

There's no way to do that in one scan of the folder without trying to delete out the items that are in the Apps folder from the resulting array before sending it to a variable to include it on the Combo Box.

By the way, the 0's in your list are from the return of your GetFileName function, anytime it finds a file/folder that doesn't have a "." in the name it returns 0 and sets @error to 1. Also, if you use this to scan a folder with a "." in its name it will be returned as a valid filename.

Edited by BrewManNH

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

As BrewManNH said I didn't add any error checking to the _Main Script so I've added that to the previous Example. Sorry, I was a little rushed last night.

UDF List: