SendKeyDownDelay

... says this:

SendKeyDownDelay -- Alters the length of time a key is held down before being released during a keystroke.

For applications that take a while to register keypresses (and many games) you may need to raise this value from the default.

A value of 0 removes the delay completely.

Time in milliseconds to pause (default=5).

Whats your point exactly?

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Just because the forums are against mentioning games, does that mean that the word "game" should be stricken from the help file, even if it's relevant? Just curious if that is a viewed as a problem for some reason? I don't use AutoIT for gaming, but there are a lot of people that apparently do use it for that, they should be aware of it's limitations.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

How about just taking out "(and many games)"?

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

We can't document game automation tips and then have a no discussion policy when it comes to game automation. That's a mixed message at best if not outright hypocritical.

But you can say that the help file is the help file and the forum is the forum.

They are two separate things.

To me its not a mixed message, its a clear as day message:

"Go ahead, try to automate your game, but we wont help!"

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Hobby graphics artist, using gimp.Automating pc stuff, using AutoIt.Listening to music, using Grooveshark.[/font]Scripts:[spoiler]Simple ScreenshotSaves you alot of trouble when taking a screenshot!Don't remember what happened with this, but aperantly the exe is all i got.If you don't want to run it, simply don't._IsRun UDFIt figures out if the script has ben ran before based on the info in a ini file.If you don't want to use exactly what i wrote, you can use it as inspiration.[/spoiler]

Yes, but that's the wrong message. I'd much rather say: "AutoIt does not support game automation."

Okay, i see your point.

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Hobby graphics artist, using gimp.Automating pc stuff, using AutoIt.Listening to music, using Grooveshark.[/font]Scripts:[spoiler]Simple ScreenshotSaves you alot of trouble when taking a screenshot!Don't remember what happened with this, but aperantly the exe is all i got.If you don't want to run it, simply don't._IsRun UDFIt figures out if the script has ben ran before based on the info in a ini file.If you don't want to use exactly what i wrote, you can use it as inspiration.[/spoiler]

There has to be a better solution.

This solution was developed by senior NASA scientists.

Global Const $the_variable_that_will_contain_the_result_of_the_function_named_choose_the_left_hand_space_or_the_right_hand_space = choose_the_left_hand_space_or_the_right_hand_space()

MsgBox(0, "", """" & $the_variable_that_will_contain_the_result_of_the_function_named_choose_the_left_hand_space_or_the_right_hand_space & """")

Func choose_the_left_hand_space_or_the_right_hand_space()
    Switch Random(0, 1, 1)
        Case 0
            Return " (and many games)"
        Case 1
            Return "(and many games) "
    EndSwitch
EndFunc

For the record, when/if the helpfile is updated.

Send function also references games

To hold a key down (generally only useful for games)

(also references in send key list)

Reg Ex tutorial references a game in explanation in the not so basics part.

Also mentioned in History, but I suppose it would be wrong to re-write that.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

Except we are helping by documenting things as they pertain to games. A logical extension of that is asking for additional help on the forum.

Yes, but that's the wrong message. I'd much rather say: "AutoIt does not support game automation."

Lying is never the right message. Ever.

Nevermind.

Edited by iEvKI3gv9Wrkd41u

"Straight_and_Crooked_Thinking" : A "classic guide to ferreting out untruths, half-truths, and other distortions of facts in political and social discussions."
"The Secrets of Quantum Physics" : New and excellent 2 part documentary on Quantum Physics by Jim Al-Khalili. (Dec 2014)

"Believing what you know ain't so" ...

Knock Knock ...

I think the idea here is that we not promote AutoIt for games in any manner. That just encourages people to ask game related questions in the forums without first reading the rules. None of these are major changes anyway.

If the gamers want to ask questions about coding for games then they can ask in a forum that supports such questions. The AutoIt forums are outside that category.

That policy really has nothing to do with the help file except to the degree where it really shouldn't mention something that is not going to be supported in the forums. That's in keeping with another policy where we don't allow keylogger posts and yet we had a keylogger in the help file examples.

Better to just eliminate the potential consequences and get rid of any mention of things that are not allowed on the forums.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

I'm glad you all have an opinion on the matter. What I'm most glad about, though, is that your opinions don't matter:

Revision: 6169
Author: Valik
Date: 1:28:57 PM, Sunday, June 19, 2011
Fixed: References to game automation removed from the documentation.
----
Modified : /trunk/docs/autoit/english/html/appendix/SendKeys.htm
Modified : /trunk/docs/autoit/english/html/tutorials/regexp/regexp.htm
Modified : /trunk/docs/autoit/english/txt2htm/examples/Random.au3
Modified : /trunk/docs/autoit/english/txt2htm/txtFunctions/AutoItSetOption.txt
Modified : /trunk/docs/autoit/english/txt2htm/txtFunctions/Send.txt

To distill this down to it's most simple form, if we leave in the references to game automation then the user can ask us a question pertaining to our official documentation that is in direct violation of the forum rules. That is not a good situation and is not fair to the users.

Yep, this is pretty much the way to go :huh2: