Variable Variables

I have a GUI with 64 checkboxes and I want to be able to read each checkbox to determine which is checked and which is unchecked but I can't figure out how to do that in a loop. The variables don't seem to be able to be read as a variable...

The Checkboxes are labled $CheckBox_1 through $CheckBox_64

$i = 1
Dim $Checked

While $i <= 64
$Selected = GUICtrlRead($CheckBox_ & $i)
if $Selected = 1 then $Checked = $Checked & "|" & $CheckBox_ & $i)
$i = $i + 1
WEnd

It fails when trying to do the GUICtrlRead because it does not understand the $CheckBox_ variable; but its supposed to be $CheckBox_# where # is the $i value

How can I do this?

Thanks,

Mike

Your logic is a bit out of whack because of what you are trying to do. I understand what you are trying to do but your code doesnt. In your code you are trying to append $i to the end of the value of $CheckBox_ which obviously isnt a variable.

Here is the solution...

$i = 1
Dim $Checked, $CheckBox, $Selected

While $i <= 64
    $CheckBox  = "$CheckBox_" & $i
    $Selected = GUICtrlRead($CheckBox)
    If $Selected = 1 Then $Checked = $Checked & "|" & $CheckBox
    $i = $i + 1
WEnd

The above code is untested. Let me know if it works. It seems as though it might, but maybe not. I dont know that it can Return the value of a variable and then return the value of that all in one function.

JS

AutoIt Links

File-String Hash Plugin Updated! 04-02-2008 Plugins have been discontinued. I just found out.

ComputerGetInfo UDF's Updated! 11-23-2006

External Links

Vortex Revolutions Engineer / Inventor (Web, Desktop, and Mobile Applications, Hardware Gizmos, Consulting, and more)

I have written several scripts that do this (check a set of check boxes). I've always found the easiest way to do this is to keep the checkbox handles in an array instead of individual variables.

Then, when you want to figure out which ones are checked, just loop through the array.

see the source of my Selective Launch program as an example.

I have written several scripts that do this (check a set of check boxes).  I've always found the easiest way to do this is to keep the checkbox handles in an array instead of individual variables.

Then, when you want to figure out which ones are checked, just loop through the array.

see the source of my Selective Launch program as an example.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That was my first thought on this but I figured I would offer a solution that I didnt see as obvious :). I would say the Array is the way to go for sure, but I would still like to know if my example worked at all.

JS

AutoIt Links

File-String Hash Plugin Updated! 04-02-2008 Plugins have been discontinued. I just found out.

External Links

Vortex Revolutions Engineer / Inventor (Web, Desktop, and Mobile Applications, Hardware Gizmos, Consulting, and more)

This might work.

$i = 1
Dim $Checked

While $i <= 64
$Selected = GUICtrlRead(Eval("CheckBox_" & $i))
if $Selected = 1 then $Checked = $Checked & "|" & "CheckBox_" & $i)
$i = $i + 1
WEnd
HKTunes:Softpedia | GoogleCodeLyricToy:Softpedia | GoogleCodeRCTunes:Softpedia | GoogleCodeMichtaToolsProgrammer n. - An ingenious device that turns caffeine into code.

This might work.

$i = 1
Dim $Checked

While $i <= 64
$Selected = GUICtrlRead(Eval("CheckBox_" & $i))
if $Selected = 1 then $Checked = $Checked & "|" & "CheckBox_" & $i
$i = $i + 1
WEnd

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

COOL The Eval worked perfect. First time I ever used that command...

Thanks,

Mike

COOL  The Eval worked perfect.  First time I ever used that command...

Thanks,

Mike

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your Welcome. :)

P.S. Just wanted to tell you that if you are using the beta it would need to be changed to:

$i = 1
Dim $Checked

While $i <= 64
$Selected = GUICtrlRead(Eval("$CheckBox_" & $i))
$i = $i + 1
WEnd
Edited by SolidSnake
HKTunes:Softpedia | GoogleCodeLyricToy:Softpedia | GoogleCodeRCTunes:Softpedia | GoogleCodeMichtaToolsProgrammer n. - An ingenious device that turns caffeine into code.

Your Welcome.  :)

P.S. Just wanted to tell you that if you are using the beta it would need to be changed to:

$i = 1
Dim $Checked

While $i <= 64
$Selected = GUICtrlRead(Eval("$CheckBox_" & $i))
$i = $i + 1
WEnd

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah the Eval function. I always wondered what that did, but never really read it :evil:. One thing though. I dont notice the difference between this post using beta and the other post.

JS

AutoIt Links

External Links

Ah the Eval function. I always wondered what that did, but never really read it :). One thing though. I dont notice the difference between this post using beta and the other post.

JS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is a $ sign next to the word CheckBox on line 5. Edited by SolidSnake

Hey. just wanted to tell everybody who likes Eval() that they will also probably like Assign(). Using it you can assign a variable by string like:

Assign("Message","Hello World")

This would make the variable $Message eqal "Hello World".

It becomes more useful in situations like this however.

For $X=1 to 500
Assign("Random_" & $X,Random(1,100,1))
Next

This would assign the variables $Var_1 , $Var_2 , $Var_3 etc all the way to $Var_500. that lets you reduce 500 lines of code into 3. :)

There is a $ sign next to the word CheckBox on line 5.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol... I looked over that thing so many times too.. :) Thanks for letting me know.

Also about the Assign that is very nice.

JS

AutoIt Links

External Links

Hey. just wanted to tell everybody  who likes Eval() that they will also probably like Assign(). Using it  you can assign a variable by string like:

Assign("Message","Hello World")

This would make the variable $Message eqal "Hello World".

It becomes more useful in situations like this however.

For $X=1 to 500
Assign("Random_" & $X,Random(1,100,1))
Next

This would assign the variables $Var_1 , $Var_2 ,  $Var_3 etc all the way to $Var_500. that lets you reduce 500 lines of code into 3.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's very slow however. It's much better (easier to use, and faster at runtime) to just use arrays.