AutoIt Features

Hello guys! I'm kinda of new to AutoIt and actually, I've never touched it before. I'm actually inquiring to the features that the AutoIt scripting language has. It's actually kind of a simple question, really. Suppose I've created a process in which my employer and his colleagues can extract the data out of a pdf using a certain program in Windows. Using the extracted data (which is in .csv format), they mail merge it into a template in Word for whatever reason. Now, seeing as there is a lot of steps involved in doing this, I want a one button solution to this where all of the above steps would be done in one. This is what AutoIt is meant for, right? That you can build an application that does all this in one step by simulating mouse clicks on the screen would be awesome. Like say it simulates mouse clicks in a pdf extraction program in Windows and doing all the necessary tasks (ex: click on File, click on Add PDF File, click as Save As) would be sufficient to my needs. So this is all possible with AutoIt, right? I just want to be absolutely certain before trying it out.

Yes it can simulate mouseclicks. Autoit is 100% free. There might be better and maybe easier ways to do this than mouseclicks. Sadly I cant name any better ways off head at the moment but sending mouse clicks and keystokes should work too. You can get programming help from this forum as needed.

edited

AutoIt is capable of doing what you want to get done. To quote the text on the home page:

AutoIt v3 is a freeware BASIC-like scripting language designed for automating the Windows GUI and general scripting. It uses a combination of simulated keystrokes, mouse movement and window/control manipulation

Read thru the Help file, and there is some helpful links in my sig too. Start writing some code, and post here when you have difficulties. Welcome to the Forum!

- Bruce /*somdcomputerguy */  If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

You would most certainly be able to accomplish your goal, but the efficiency and grace with which the task can be completed is dependent on the applications you are using.

For instance some apps might take command line arguments to help, but others could resist automation.

Your best bet here is to search the forum for the application names you are using to see what turns up.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.