Weather App

LurchMan

Hey everyone -

I made a simple weather app that I'm just wanting opinions on. Its still a rough project but I'm curious if it works for other people like it does mine. It requires an active internet connection but upon loading it determines where you are located and loads the weather information for that city at first. You can change cities once loaded - you can enter either city and state or zip code.

Any thoughts, tips, or questions appreciated.

Download both *.au3 files, create a folder named data the same place the weather.au3 is located and put the marquee.au3 in the data folder.

Thanks for your time!

Edit - Updated weather.au3 attachment. (Previous downloads: 77)

Marquee.au3

Weather.au3

Edited by LurchMan

Dating a girl is just like writing software. Everything's going to work just fine in the testing lab (dating), but as soon as you have contract with a customer (marriage), then your program (life) is going to be facing new situations you never expected. You'll be forced to patch the code (admit you're wrong) and then the code (wife) will just end up all bloated and unmaintainable in the end.

Nice. It works fine on my PC (unfortunately Vista). I don't think I'll have much use for this, but weather apps peak my interest. I use to have a weather station tied to my desktop PC and a website, someday (definitely not soon..) I hope to get it running again (with written by czardas integrated somehow)..

- Bruce /*somdcomputerguy */  If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

Works great (Windows 7/32 bit). It located my town acurately. I've changed Fahrenheit to Celsius, because I'm used to it.

Thanks LurchMan.

Good to hear, that means it works on all 3 OS version (except win 7 64 bit which I'll test tonight. The celsius thing is something else I'm going to be implementing, just haven't made it that far.

Thanks for the testing!

Dating a girl is just like writing software. Everything's going to work just fine in the testing lab (dating), but as soon as you have contract with a customer (marriage), then your program (life) is going to be facing new situations you never expected. You'll be forced to patch the code (admit you're wrong) and then the code (wife) will just end up all bloated and unmaintainable in the end.

Doesn't work on Win 7 x64, problem with the Array on line 94. Why not use my which doesn't load Java in the background? And it works on XP SP3 above. Also it uses InetRead() instead of InetGet(). :huh2:

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

That works really well. Other than the cosmetics, which aren't that bad, I really like it.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Doesn't work on Win 7 x64, problem with the Array on line 94. Why not use my which doesn't load Java in the background? And it works on XP SP3 above. Also it uses InetRead() instead of InetGet(). :huh2:

I'm not sure why it would fail at that point on x64 - I'll do more testing. I didn't want to use a pre-built UDFs this was just my attempt at a weather app.

That works really well. Other than the cosmetics, which aren't that bad, I really like it.

Thank you, The cosmetics are rough right now I just have to figure out a better way of doing them, but for testing it works.

LurchMan, I've played with your script and guinness's also and came up with this:

#include <EditConstants.au3>
#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <StaticConstants.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>
#include <ButtonConstants.au3>

Global $sINI = @TempDir & "\config.dll"
Global $aINI, $sXML, $hGUI, $hGUIm, $hExit, $hRefresh, $hLocation, $hCurrPic, $hCurrHumidity, $hCurrTemp, $hCurrWeather, $hCurrWind, $aForecast[4][4]
Global $hSLocation, $hSLanguage, $hConfig, $hStartup
$aINI = _LoadINI()
_GW_Location($aINI[1], $aINI[2])
_Weather($aINI[1])
_Refresh()
While 1
 Sleep(10)
 Global $Msg = GUIGetMsg()
 Switch $Msg
  Case $hExit
   _Exit()
  Case $hLocation
   _Config()
  Case $hRefresh
   _Refresh()
 EndSwitch
WEnd

Func _ChangeGui()
 GUISetState(@SW_ENABLE, $hGUI)
 GUIDelete($hConfig)
EndFunc   ;==>_ChangeGui

Func _CheckStartup()
 $aINI = _LoadINI()
 If $aINI[0] = 1 Then
  Switch @OSVersion
   Case "WIN_2003", "WIN_XP", "WIN_XPe"
    FileCreateShortcut(@ScriptFullPath, @StartupCommonDir & "\" & @ScriptName & ".lnk")
   Case "WIN_2008R2", "WIN_7", "WIN_2008", "WIN_VISTA"
    FileCreateShortcut(@ScriptFullPath, @AppDataDir & "\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\" & @ScriptName & ".lnk")
  EndSwitch
 Else
  Switch @OSVersion
   Case "WIN_2003", "WIN_XP", "WIN_XPe"
    FileDelete(@StartupCommonDir & "\" & @ScriptName & ".lnk")
   Case "WIN_2008R2", "WIN_7", "WIN_2008", "WIN_VISTA"
    FileDelete(@AppDataDir & "\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\" & @ScriptName & ".lnk")
  EndSwitch
 EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>_CheckStartup

Func _Config()
 GUISetState(@SW_DISABLE, $hGUI)
 Local $hBack
 Local $iX, $iY, $aPos, $iW = 218, $iH = 100, $nMsg
 $aPos = MouseGetPos()
 $iX = $aPos[0]
 $iY = $aPos[1]
 $hConfig = GUICreate("Weather Gadget", $iW, $iH, $iX - $iW, $iY, BitOR($WS_SYSMENU, $WS_POPUP), $WS_EX_TOPMOST)
 GUISetBkColor(0x111111)
 GUICtrlCreateLabel("Configuration", 8, 6, $iW - 32, 17, BitOR($SS_CENTER, $SS_CENTERIMAGE))
 GUICtrlSetColor(-1, 0xfefefe)
 GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, 0x202020)
 $hBack = GUICtrlCreateIcon("shell32.dll", -132, $iW - 22, 6, 16, 16, BitOR($SS_NOTIFY, $WS_GROUP))
 GUICtrlSetCursor(-1, 0)
 GUICtrlSetTip(-1, "Save, close and refresh")
 _RoundCorners($hConfig, 0.6)
 GUICtrlSetDefBkColor(0x111111)
 GUICtrlSetDefColor(0xefefef)
 GUICtrlCreateLabel("Search location:", 8, 34, 100, 17)
 $hSLocation = GUICtrlCreateInput($aINI[1], 108, 32, 100, 18, -1, $WS_EX_STATICEDGE)
 GUICtrlCreateLabel("Weather language:", 8, 56, 100, 17)
 $hSLanguage = GUICtrlCreateInput($aINI[2], 108, 54, 100, 18, -1, $WS_EX_STATICEDGE)
 GUICtrlSetTip(-1, "ro - Romanian," & @CRLF & "en - English" & @CRLF & "fr - French etc.")
 $hStartup = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Start with Windows", 8, $iH - 24, $iW - 16, 17, BitOR($BS_CHECKBOX, $BS_AUTOCHECKBOX, $BS_MULTILINE, $WS_TABSTOP))
 GUICtrlSetState($hStartup, IniRead($sINI, "Config", "StartWithWindows", "4"))
 GUICtrlCreatePic("", 0, 0, $iW, $iH, BitOR($GUI_SS_DEFAULT_PIC, $SS_CENTERIMAGE), $GUI_WS_EX_PARENTDRAG)
 WinSetTrans($hConfig, "", 220)
 GUISetState()
 While 1
  Sleep(10)
  $nMsg = GUIGetMsg()
  Switch $nMsg
   Case $hBack
    _WriteConfig()
    _ChangeGui()
    _Refresh()
    Return
   Case $hStartup
    IniWrite($sINI, "Config", "StartWithWindows", GUICtrlRead($hStartup))
    _CheckStartup()
  EndSwitch
 WEnd
EndFunc   ;==>_Config

Func _Exit()
 For $i = 0 To 220 Step 10
  WinSetTrans($hGUI, "", 220 - $i)
  Sleep(10)
 Next
 GUIDelete($hGUI)
 Exit
EndFunc   ;==>_Exit

Func _GW_Current()
 Local $aRet[11], $a, $bError
 $bError = StringRegExp($sXML, '<problem_cause data="(.*?)"/>', 1)
 If IsArray($bError) Or $bError Then
  MsgBox(48, "Eroare", "Unable to find the city." & @CRLF & "Please try again.")
  Return
 Else
  $a = StringRegExp($sXML, '<forecast_information><city data="(.*?)"/>', 1)
  $aRet[0] = $a[0]
  $a = StringRegExp($sXML, '<postal_code data="(.*?)"/>', 1)
  $aRet[1] = $a[0]
  $a = StringRegExp($sXML, '<forecast_date data="(.*?)"/>', 1)
  $aRet[2] = StringRegExpReplace($a[0], "(.*?)-(.*?)-(.*)", "$3.$2.$1");date from yyyy-mm-dd to dd.mm.yyyy
  $a = StringRegExp($sXML, '<current_date_time data="(.*?)"/>', 1)
  $a = StringRegExp($a[0], "\d{2}:\d{2}:\d{2}", 1)
  $aRet[3] = $a[0]
  $a = StringRegExp($sXML, '<unit_system data="(.*?)"/>', 1)
  $aRet[4] = $a[0]
  $a = StringRegExp($sXML, '<current_conditions><condition data="(.*?)"/>', 1)
  $aRet[5] = $a[0]
  $a = StringRegExp($sXML, '<temp_f data="(.*?)"/>', 1)
  $aRet[6] = $a[0] & Chr(176) & "F"
  $a = StringRegExp($sXML, '<temp_c data="(.*?)"/>', 1)
  $aRet[7] = $a[0] & Chr(176) & "C"
  $a = StringRegExp($sXML, '<humidity data="(.*?)"/>', 1)
  $aRet[8] = $a[0]
  $a = StringRegExp($sXML, '<icon data="(.*?)"/>', 1)
  InetGet("[url="http://www.google.com"]http://www.google.com[/url]" & $a[0], @TempDir & "iconp.gif")
  $aRet[9] = @TempDir & "iconp.gif"
  $a = StringRegExp($sXML, '<wind_condition data="(.*?)"/>', 1)
  If IsArray($a) Then
   $aRet[10] = $a[0]
  Else
   $aRet[10] = $a
  EndIf
  Return $aRet
 EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>_GW_Current

Func _GW_Forecast()
 Local $p0, $p1, $p2, $p3, $p4, $bError
 $bError = StringRegExp($sXML, '<problem_cause data="(.*?)"/>', 1)
 If IsArray($bError) Or $bError Then
  Return
 Else
  Local $aRet[4][5]
  $p0 = StringRegExp($sXML, '<day_of_week data="(.*?)"/>', 3)
  $p1 = StringRegExp($sXML, '<condition data="(.*?)"/>', 3)
  $p2 = StringRegExp($sXML, '<icon data="(.*?)"/>', 3)
  $p3 = StringRegExp($sXML, '<high data="(.*?)"/>', 3)
  $p4 = StringRegExp($sXML, '<low data="(.*?)"/>', 3)
  For $i = 0 To 3
   $aRet[$i][0] = $p0[$i]
   $aRet[$i][1] = $p1[$i + 1]
   InetGet("[url="http://www.google.com"]http://www.google.com[/url]" & $p2[$i + 1], @TempDir & "iconf" & $i & ".gif")
   $aRet[$i][2] = @TempDir & "iconf" & $i & ".gif"
   $aRet[$i][3] = $p3[$i] & Chr(176) & "C"
   $aRet[$i][4] = $p4[$i] & Chr(176) & "C"
  Next
  Return $aRet
 EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>_GW_Forecast

Func _GW_Location($sLoc = "", $sLang = "")
 Local $sURL, $hXML
 $sURL = "[url="http://www.google.com/ig/api?weather"]http://www.google.com/ig/api?weather[/url]=" & $sLoc & "&hl=" & $sLang;
 InetGet($sURL, @TempDir & "vremea.xml")
 $hXML = FileOpen(@TempDir & "vremea.xml")
 If $hXML = -1 Then
  MsgBox(48, "Eroare", "Unable to retrieve data." & @CRLF & "Please check your internet connection.")
  Exit
 EndIf
 $sXML = FileRead($hXML)
 FileClose($hXML)
EndFunc   ;==>_GW_Location

Func _LoadINI()
 Local $aRet[3]
 If Not FileExists($sINI) Then
  Local $ft = FileOpen($sINI, 2)
  Local $sText = "[Config]" & @CRLF
  $sText &= "StartWithWindows=4" & @CRLF
  $sText &= "Location=Hunedoara" & @CRLF
  $sText &= "Language=en" & @CRLF
  FileWrite($ft, $sText)
  FileClose($ft)
 EndIf
 $aRet[0] = IniRead($sINI, "Config", "StartWithWindows", "4")
 $aRet[1] = IniRead($sINI, "Config", "Location", "Hunedoara")
 $aRet[2] = IniRead($sINI, "Config", "Language", "en")
 Return $aRet
EndFunc   ;==>_LoadINI

Func _Refresh()
 $aINI = _LoadINI()
 _GW_Location($aINI[1], $aINI[2])
 Local $aCurrent[11], $aFore[4][4]
 $aCurrent = _GW_Current()
 If Not IsArray($aCurrent) Then
  Return
 Else
  GUICtrlSetData($hLocation, $aCurrent[0])
  GUICtrlSetImage($hCurrPic, $aCurrent[9])
  GUICtrlSetData($hCurrTemp, $aCurrent[7] & "/" & $aCurrent[6])
  GUICtrlSetData($hCurrWeather, $aCurrent[5])
  GUICtrlSetData($hCurrHumidity, $aCurrent[8])
  GUICtrlSetData($hCurrWind, $aCurrent[10])
  $aFore = _GW_Forecast()
  For $i = 0 To 3
   GUICtrlSetData($aForecast[$i][0], $aFore[$i][0])
   GUICtrlSetData($aForecast[$i][1], $aFore[$i][3])
   GUICtrlSetData($aForecast[$i][2], $aFore[$i][4])
   GUICtrlSetImage($aForecast[$i][3], $aFore[$i][2])
   GUICtrlSetTip($aForecast[$i][3], $aFore[$i][1])
  Next
 EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>_Refresh

Func _RoundCorners($hWnd, $iR = 1)
 Local $x, $pos
 $pos = WinGetPos($hWnd)
 If $pos[2] > $pos[3] Then
  $x = 10 * $pos[2] / $pos[3]
 Else
  $x = 10 * $pos[3] / $pos[2]
 EndIf
 Local $aResult = DllCall("gdi32.dll", "handle", "CreateRoundRectRgn", "int", 0, "int", 0, "int", $pos[2], "int", $pos[3], _
   "int", $iR * $x, "int", $iR * $x)
 Local $aRet = DllCall("user32.dll", "int", "SetWindowRgn", "hwnd", $hWnd, "handle", $aResult[0], "bool", True)
 If @error Then Return SetError(@error, @extended, False)
 Return $aRet[0]
EndFunc   ;==>_RoundCorners

Func _Weather($sLoc)
 Local $iW = 315, $iH = 166
 Local $iX, $iY
 $iX = @DesktopWidth - $iW - 1
 $iY = @DesktopHeight - $iH - 29
 $hGUI = GUICreate("Meteo", $iW, $iH, $iX, $iY, BitOR($WS_SYSMENU, $WS_POPUP, $WS_BORDER), $WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW)
 _RoundCorners($hGUI, 0.6)
 GUISetBkColor(0x000000)
 GUICtrlSetDefBkColor($GUI_BKCOLOR_TRANSPARENT)
 $hLocation = GUICtrlCreateLabel($sLoc, 40, 5, $iW - 115, 28)
 GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 12, 400, 0, "Arial", 5)
 GUICtrlSetCursor(-1, 0)
 GUICtrlSetTip(-1, "Click to change location")
 $hCurrPic = GUICtrlCreatePic("", 5, 5, 30, 30)
 $hCurrTemp = GUICtrlCreateLabel("", $iW - 100, 5, 95, 25, $SS_RIGHT)
 GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 14, 400, 0, "Arial", 5)
 $hCurrWeather = GUICtrlCreateLabel("", 50, 30, $iW - 55, 17, $SS_RIGHT)
 GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 10, 400, 0, "Arial", 5)
 $hCurrHumidity = GUICtrlCreateLabel("", $iW - 105, 47, 100, 17, $SS_RIGHT)
 $hCurrWind = GUICtrlCreateLabel("", $iW / 2 - 5, 64, $iW / 2, 17, $SS_RIGHT)
 For $i = 0 To 3
  $aForecast[$i][0] = GUICtrlCreateLabel("", 5 + 80 * $i, 85, 65, 17)
  $aForecast[$i][1] = GUICtrlCreateLabel("" & ChrW(176), 5 + 80 * $i, 102, 25, 17)
  $aForecast[$i][2] = GUICtrlCreateLabel("" & ChrW(176), 5 + 80 * $i, 119, 25, 17)
  $aForecast[$i][3] = GUICtrlCreatePic("", 30 + 80 * $i, 102, 40, 30)
 Next
 For $i = 0 To 2
  GUICtrlCreateLabel("", 75 + 80 * $i, 88, 1, 47)
  GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, 0x808080)
 Next
 GUICtrlCreateLabel("", 5, 140, $iW - 10, 1)

GUICtrlCreateLabel("Weather 2011 - v" & FileGetVersion(@ScriptName) & " beta", 5, $iH - 20, $iW - 50, 17)
 $hExit = GUICtrlCreateIcon("shell32.dll", -132, $iW - 22, $iH - 22, 16, 16)
 GUICtrlSetCursor(-1, 0)
 GUICtrlSetTip(-1, "Exit")
 $hRefresh = GUICtrlCreateIcon("shell32.dll", -239, $iW - 42, $iH - 22, 16, 16)
 GUICtrlSetCursor(-1, 0)
 GUICtrlSetTip(-1, "Refresh the info")
 GUICtrlCreatePic("", 0, 0, $iW, $iH, BitOR($GUI_SS_DEFAULT_PIC, $SS_CENTERIMAGE), $GUI_WS_EX_PARENTDRAG)
 WinSetTrans($hGUI, "", 0)
 GUISetState()
  WinSetTrans($hGUI, "", $i)
  Sleep(10)
 Next
EndFunc   ;==>_Weather

Func _WriteConfig()
 If GUICtrlRead($hSLocation) <> "" Then IniWrite($sINI, "Config", "Location", GUICtrlRead($hSLocation))
 If GUICtrlRead($hSLanguage) <> "" Then IniWrite($sINI, "Config", "Language", GUICtrlRead($hSLanguage))
EndFunc   ;==>_WriteConfig

It's not perfect, but ... thanks!

Very nice indeed taietel!

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

LurchMan, I've played with your script and guinness's also and came up with this:

It's not perfect, but ... thanks!

taietel - I like the GUI and I'm already currently working on rewriting the RegEx to make it cleaner and easier to manage. If you have no objections I'm going to incorporate your GUI with the new RegEx I'm using.

Edit: New RegEx credit goes to GeoSoft (I don't have much credit in this project anymore, just putting it together)

Edited by LurchMan

LurchMan, as far as I'm concearn, if it wasn't your project, my GUI wasn't here either. Then I saw guinness's udf and, after testing with few cities I've concluded that google api is very suitable for my area. Of course, I have modified to fit my needs, but the idea wasn't mine.

You can use the gui whatever you like.

Thanks again, both of you!

Regards,

taietel

taietel you've inspired me to re-think about the GoogleWeather UDF Example :)

UDF List:

taietel you're missing "\" after @TempDir.

UDF List:

Yep, I know.:) I've replaced the initial location of the files with CTRL+H and missed that. I've modified on my computer, but not on the post (I'll do that when the shrinking/expanding module of the gui is ready - just like those gadgets from win7). Thanks again!

Regards,

taietel

Here is my newest version of this, I've used the GUI from taietel and the RegEx from GeoSoft and came up with this:

#include <EditConstants.au3>
#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <StaticConstants.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>
#include <ButtonConstants.au3>
#include "data\marquee.au3"
#include <ie.au3>

Global $hGUI, _
       $hLocation, _
       $hCurrPic, _
       $hCurrTemp, _
       $hCurrWeather, _
       $hCurrHumidity, _
       $hCurrWind, _
       $hExit, _
       $hRefresh, _
       $hExit, _
       $hConfig, _
       $hStartup, _
       $hSLocation, _
       $hSLanguage, _
       $hSCelFor, _
       $hSFerFor, _
       $hFIndLocStart, _
       $sPageCode, _
       $sStartUrl, _
       $sLoc

Global $sINI = @ScriptDir & "\data\options.ini"
GLobal $aINI = _LoadINI()

If $aINI[4] = 1 Then
    $sLoc = _GetLocation ()
    $sUrlLoc = StringReplace ($sLoc, " ", "+")
Else
    $sLoc = $aINI[1]
    $sUrlLoc = StringReplace ($sLoc, " ", "+")
EndIf

Global $sPageCode = _RefreshPage()
Global $aCurrent = _GetCurrent($sPageCode)
Global $aForecast = _GetForecast($sPageCode)

_Weather($sLoc)
_RefreshData ()

While 1
    Sleep (100)
    Global $Msg = GUIGetMsg()
    Switch $Msg
        Case $hExit
            _Exit()
        Case $hLocation
            _Config()
        Case $hRefresh
            _RefreshPage()
            _RefreshData()
    EndSwitch
WEnd

Func _Weather($sLoc)
    Local $iW = 315, $iH = 166
    Local $iX, $iY
    $iX = @DesktopWidth - $iW - 1
    $iY = @DesktopHeight - $iH - 29
    $hGUI = GUICreate("Weather", $iW, $iH, $iX, $iY, BitOR($WS_SYSMENU, $WS_POPUP, $WS_BORDER), $WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW)
    _RoundCorners($hGUI, 0.6)
    GUISetBkColor(0x000000)
    GUICtrlSetDefBkColor($GUI_BKCOLOR_TRANSPARENT)
    $hLocation = GUICtrlCreateLabel($sLoc, 40, 5, $iW - 115, 28)
    GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 12, 400, 0, "Arial", 5)
    GUICtrlSetCursor(-1, 0)
    GUICtrlSetTip(-1, "Click to Change Options")
    $hCurrPic = GUICtrlCreatePic("", 5, 5, 30, 30)
    $hCurrTemp = GUICtrlCreateLabel("", $iW - 100, 5, 95, 25, $SS_RIGHT)
    GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 14, 400, 0, "Arial", 5)
    $hCurrWeather = GUICtrlCreateLabel("", 50, 30, $iW - 55, 17, $SS_RIGHT)
    $hCurrHumidity = GUICtrlCreateLabel("", $iW - 105, 47, 100, 17, $SS_RIGHT)
    $hCurrWind = GUICtrlCreateLabel("", $iW / 2 - 5, 64, $iW / 2, 17, $SS_RIGHT)
    For $i = 0 To 3
    $aForecast[$i][0] = GUICtrlCreateLabel("", 5 + 80 * $i, 85, 65, 17)
    $aForecast[$i][1] = GUICtrlCreateLabel("" & ChrW(176), 5 + 80 * $i, 102, 25, 17)
    $aForecast[$i][2] = GUICtrlCreateLabel("" & ChrW(176), 5 + 80 * $i, 119, 25, 17)
    $aForecast[$i][3] = GUICtrlCreatePic("", 30 + 80 * $i, 102, 40, 30)
    Next
    For $i = 0 To 2
    GUICtrlCreateLabel("", 75 + 80 * $i, 88, 1, 47)
    Next
    GUICtrlCreateLabel("", 5, 140, $iW - 10, 1)

GUICtrlCreateLabel("Weather 2011 - v" & FileGetVersion(@ScriptName) & " beta", 5, $iH - 20, $iW - 50, 17)
    $hExit = GUICtrlCreateIcon("shell32.dll", -132, $iW - 22, $iH - 22, 16, 16)
    GUICtrlSetCursor(-1, 0)
    GUICtrlSetTip(-1, "Exit")
    $hRefresh = GUICtrlCreateIcon("shell32.dll", -147, $iW - 42, $iH - 22, 16, 16)
    GUICtrlSetCursor(-1, 0)
    GUICtrlSetTip(-1, "Refresh")
    WinSetTrans($hGUI, "", 0)
    GUISetState()
    WinSetTrans($hGUI, "", $i)
    Sleep(10)
    Next
EndFunc   ;==>_Weather

Func _RefreshData()
    $aINI = _LoadINI()
    Local $aCurrent[11], $aFore[4][4]
    $sPageCode = _RefreshPage ()
    $aCurrent = _GetCurrent ($sPageCode)
    If Not IsArray($aCurrent) Then
        Return
    Else
        GUICtrlSetData($hLocation, $sLoc)
        GUICtrlSetImage($hCurrPic, @ScriptDir & "\data\current.gif")
        If $aINI[3] = "F" Then
            GUICtrlSetData($hCurrTemp, $aCurrent[1] & " °F")
        Else
            GUICtrlSetData($hCurrTemp, $aCurrent[2] & " °C")
        EndIf
        GUICtrlSetData($hCurrWeather, $aCurrent[0])
        GUICtrlSetData($hCurrHumidity, $aCurrent[3])
        GUICtrlSetData($hCurrWind, $aCurrent[5])
        $aFore = _GetForecast($sPageCode)
        For $i = 0 To 3
            GUICtrlSetData($aForecast[$i][0], $aFore[$i][0])
            If $aINI[3] = "F" Then
                GUICtrlSetData($aForecast[$i][1], $aFore[$i][2])
                GUICtrlSetData($aForecast[$i][2], $aFore[$i][1])
            Else
                GUICtrlSetData($aForecast[$i][1], Round((($aFore[$i][2]-32)*5)/9, 0))
                GUICtrlSetData($aForecast[$i][2], Round((($aFore[$i][1]-32)*5)/9, 0))
            EndIf
            GUICtrlSetImage($aForecast[$i][3], @ScriptDir & "\data\day" & $i & ".gif")
            GUICtrlSetTip($aForecast[$i][3], $aFore[$i][0])
        Next
    EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>_Refresh

Func _RefreshPage()
    Local $s_PageCode
    $aINI = _LoadINI ()
    $sUrlLoc = StringReplace($aINI[1], " ", "+")
    $sLoc = $aINI[1]
    $sURL = "http://www.google.com/ig/api?weather=" & $sUrlLoc & "&hl=" & $aINI[2]
    $s_PageCode = BinaryToString(InetRead ($sURL))
    Return ($s_PageCode)
EndFunc

#cs
    ; _GetCurrent() ; Pass it the String from the page code. Use _RefreshPage() to get that.
    ; Array Elements
    ; [0] = Condition Data
    ; [1] = Temp F
    ; [2] = Temp C
    ; [3] = Humidity
    ; [4] = Image
    ; [5] = Wind
#ce
Func _GetCurrent($s_String)
    Local $a_Cur_Cond = StringRegExp(StringRegExpReplace($s_String, "(?i).+<current_conditions>(.+)</current_conditions>.+", "$1"), "(?i)data=\x22(.+?)\x22/>", 3)
    If @Error Then Return SetError(1)
    InetGet ("http://www.google.com/" & $a_Cur_Cond[4], @ScriptDir & "\data\current.gif")
    Return($a_Cur_Cond)
EndFunc

#cs
    ; _GetForecast() ; Pass it the String from the page code. Use _RefreshPage() to get that.
    ; Array Elements
    ; [n][0] = Weekday
    ; [n][1] = Lo Temp
    ; [n][2] = Hi Temp
    ; [n][3] = Image
    ; [n][4] = Conditions
#ce
Func _GetForecast($s_String)
    Local $a_Fcast_Cond = StringRegExp(StringRegExpReplace($s_String, "(?i).+?(<forecast_conditions>.+</forecast_conditions>).+", "$1"), "(?i)<forecast_conditions>(.+?)</forecast_conditions>", 3)

Local $aHold
    Dim $aRtn[UBound($a_Fcast_Cond)][5]
    For $i = 0 To UBound($a_Fcast_Cond) -1
        $aHold = StringRegExp($a_Fcast_Cond[$i], "(?i)data=\x22(.+?)\x22/>", 3)
        $aHold[3] = StringRegExpReplace($aHold[3], "^.+/(.+)$", "$1");; You can remove this if you want to use InetGet() to download the image.
        InetGet ("http://www.google.com/ig/images/weather/" & $aHold[3], @ScriptDir & "\data\day" & $i & ".gif")
        For $j = 0 To UBound($aHold) -1
        $aRtn[$i][$j] = $aHold[$j]
        Next
    Next
    Return($aRtn)
EndFunc

Func _RoundCorners($hWnd, $iR = 1)
    Local $x, $pos
    $pos = WinGetPos($hWnd)
    If $pos[2] > $pos[3] Then
     $x = 10 * $pos[2] / $pos[3]
    Else
     $x = 10 * $pos[3] / $pos[2]
    EndIf
    Local $aResult = DllCall("gdi32.dll", "handle", "CreateRoundRectRgn", "int", 0, "int", 0, "int", $pos[2], "int", $pos[3], _
      "int", $iR * $x, "int", $iR * $x)
    Local $aRet = DllCall("user32.dll", "int", "SetWindowRgn", "hwnd", $hWnd, "handle", $aResult[0], "bool", True)
    If @error Then Return SetError(@error, @extended, False)
    Return $aRet[0]
EndFunc   ;==>_RoundCorners

Func _LoadINI()
    Local $aRet[5]
    If Not FileExists($sINI) Then
        Local $ft = FileOpen($sINI, 2)
        Local $sText = "[Config]" & @CRLF
        $sText &= "StartWithWindows=4" & @CRLF
        $sText &= "Location=" & $sLoc & @CRLF
        $sText &= "Language=EN" & @CRLF
        $sText &= "FindLocationOnStart=1" & @CRLF
        $sText &= "TempDisp=F" & @CRLF
        FileWrite($ft, $sText)
        FileClose($ft)
    EndIf
    $aRet[0] = IniRead($sINI, "Config", "StartWithWindows", "4")
    $aRet[1] = IniRead($sINI, "Config", "Location", $sLoc)
    $aRet[2] = IniRead($sINI, "Config", "Language", "en")
    $aRet[3] = IniRead($sINI, "Config", "TempDisp", "F")
    $aRet[4] = IniRead($sINI, "Config", "FindLocationOnStart", "1")
    Return $aRet
EndFunc   ;==>_LoadINI

Func _Exit()
        WinSetTrans($hGUI, "", 220 - $i)
        Sleep(10)
    Next
    GUIDelete($hGUI)
    Exit
EndFunc   ;==>_Exit

Func _GetLocation ()
    $fLoading = GUICreate("Loading", 205, 50, -1, -1, BitOR($WS_SYSMENU, $WS_POPUP, $WS_BORDER), $WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW)
    GUISetBkColor(0x111111)
    GUICtrlCreateLabel("Loading Weather", 50, 6, 100, 17, BitOR($SS_CENTER, $SS_CENTERIMAGE))
    _RoundCorners($fLoading, 0.6)
    $ID1 = _GUICtrlProgressMarqueeCreate(2,23, 200, 20)
    _GUICtrlProgressSetMarquee($ID1)
    GUISetState (@SW_SHOW, $fLoading)

InetGet ("http://www.ipaddresslocation.org/", @ScriptDir & "\Data\location.html")

$oIE = _IECreate ("http://www.ipaddresslocation.org/", 1, 0)
    $sRead = _IEBodyReadText ($oIE)
    _IEQuit ($oIE)
    $iLoc = StringInStr ($sRead, "My IP Location (Guessed City)")
    $sTrim = StringTrimLeft ($sRead, $iLoc-1)
    $aSplit = StringSplit ($sTrim, @CRLF)

$sLocation = $aSplit[3]
    GUISetState (@SW_HIDE, $fLoading)
    Return $sLocation
EndFunc

Func _Config()
    GUISetState(@SW_DISABLE, $hGUI)
    Local $hBack
    Local $iX, $iY, $aPos, $iW = 218, $iH = 150, $nMsg
    $aPos = WinGetPos ($hGUI)
    $iX = $aPos[0]
    $iY = $aPos[1]
    $hConfig = GUICreate("Weather Gadget", $iW, $iH, $iX - $iW, $iY, BitOR($WS_SYSMENU, $WS_POPUP), $WS_EX_TOPMOST)
    GUISetBkColor(0x111111)
    GUICtrlCreateLabel("Configuration", 8, 6, $iW - 32, 17, BitOR($SS_CENTER, $SS_CENTERIMAGE))
    $hBack = GUICtrlCreateIcon("shell32.dll", -132, $iW - 22, 6, 16, 16, BitOR($SS_NOTIFY, $WS_GROUP))
    GUICtrlSetCursor(-1, 0)
    GUICtrlSetTip(-1, "Save, Close and Refresh")
    _RoundCorners($hConfig, 0.6)
    GUICtrlCreateLabel("Search location:", 8, 34, 100, 17)
    $hSLocation = GUICtrlCreateInput($aINI[1], 108, 32, 100, 18, -1, $WS_EX_STATICEDGE)
    GUICtrlCreateLabel("Weather language:", 8, 56, 100, 17)
    $hSLanguage = GUICtrlCreateInput($aINI[2], 108, 54, 100, 18, $ES_UPPERCASE, $WS_EX_STATICEDGE)
    GUICtrlSetTip(-1, "en - English," & @CRLF & "ro - Romanian" & @CRLF & "fr - French,  etc.")

GUICtrlCreateLabel("°C / °F:", 8, 78, 100, 17)
    $hSCelFor = GUICtrlCreateRadio("°C", 108, 76, 40, 18, -1, $WS_EX_STATICEDGE)
    $hSFerFor = GUICtrlCreateRadio("°F", 149, 76, 40, 18, -1, $WS_EX_STATICEDGE)
    If $aINI[3] = "F" Then
        GUICtrlSetState (-1, $GUI_CHECKED)
    Else
        GUICtrlSetState ($hSCelFor, $GUI_CHECKED)
    EndIf
    $hFIndLocStart = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Find Location on Startup", 8, $iH - 44, $iW - 16, 17, BitOR($BS_CHECKBOX, $BS_AUTOCHECKBOX, $BS_MULTILINE, $WS_TABSTOP))
    GUICtrlSetState($hFIndLocStart, IniRead($sINI, "Config", "FindLocationOnStart", "1"))

$hStartup = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Start with Windows", 8, $iH - 24, $iW - 16, 17, BitOR($BS_CHECKBOX, $BS_AUTOCHECKBOX, $BS_MULTILINE, $WS_TABSTOP))
    GUICtrlSetState($hStartup, IniRead($sINI, "Config", "StartWithWindows", "4"))

WinSetTrans($hConfig, "", 220)
    GUISetState()
    While 1
        Sleep(10)
        $nMsg = GUIGetMsg()
        Switch $nMsg
            Case $hBack
                _WriteConfig()
                _ChangeGui()
                _RefreshPage()
                _RefreshData()
                Return
            Case $hStartup
                _CheckStartup()
        EndSwitch
    WEnd
EndFunc   ;==>_Config

Func _WriteConfig()
    If GUICtrlRead($hSLocation) <> "" Then IniWrite($sINI, "Config", "Location", GUICtrlRead($hSLocation))
    If GUICtrlRead($hSLanguage) <> "" Then IniWrite($sINI, "Config", "Language", GUICtrlRead($hSLanguage))
    If GUICtrlRead ($hSCelFor) = $GUI_CHECKED Then IniWrite($sINI, "Config", "TempDisp", "C")
    If GUICtrlRead ($hSFerFor) = $GUI_CHECKED Then IniWrite($sINI, "Config", "TempDisp", "F")
    IniWrite($sINI, "Config", "FindLocationOnStart", GUICtrlRead($hFIndLocStart))
EndFunc   ;==>_WriteConfig

Func _ChangeGui()
    GUISetState(@SW_ENABLE, $hGUI)
    GUIDelete($hConfig)
EndFunc   ;==>_ChangeGui

Func _CheckStartup()
    $aINI = _LoadINI()
    If $aINI[0] = 1 Then
        RegWrite ("HKLU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run", "WeatherApp", "REG_SZ", @ScriptFullPath)
    Else
        RegDelete ("HKLU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run", "WeatherApp")
    EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>_CheckStartup

Again - the marquee.au3 is needed (I changed how and when the location finder works). Let me know the new thoughts!

I've modified a little because I get an error on _GetForecast ($a_Fcast_Cond was returned 1): just after the line 34,

$sLoc = _GetLocation ()

I've added this line:

$sLoc = _GetLocation ()

IniWrite($sINI, "Config", "Location", $sLoc)

And for the forecast tooltip (it shows the day), I've replaced on line 143

GUICtrlSetTip($aForecast[$i][3], $aFore[$i][0])

with this, to indicate the conditions

GUICtrlSetTip($aForecast[$i][3], $aFore[$i][4])

Now it works just great! Thanks (again)!

I would like to suggest adding this line just before the code that creates the radio buttons for the config menu.

DllCall("uxtheme.dll", "none", "SetThemeAppProperties", "int", 0)

On Vista, with a theme set, the labels for the radio buttons and the 2 checkboxes don't show up. I'm using a dark theme on my computer and the text was displaying in black text on a nearly black background.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

I've modified a little because I get an error on _GetForecast ($a_Fcast_Cond was returned 1): just after the line 34,

And for the forecast tooltip (it shows the day), I've replaced on line 143

Now it works just great! Thanks (again)!

I would like to suggest adding this line just before the code that creates the radio buttons for the config menu.

DllCall("uxtheme.dll", "none", "SetThemeAppProperties", "int", 0)

On Vista, with a theme set, the labels for the radio buttons and the 2 checkboxes don't show up. I'm using a dark theme on my computer and the text was displaying in black text on a nearly black background.

taietel - No thank you for testing it and showing me the faults it has and the new GUI (I'm terrible with GUIs and this has taught me a lot)

BrewManNH - Thank you for the tip - I didn't think about the dark background

I've updated the first post to have the newest version in it.