Filewrite-ing

I've written the code below (script-let, not whole script)

$file = FileOpen($DIR & "\Text.txt",2)
     While $file = -1 Then
          While MsgBox(4149,"Error","Could not open file for writing") = 4  And $file = -1
          Wend
          MsgBox(4149,"Error","Could not open file for writing")
          Exit
     Wend
     While Not FileWrite($file,$Config)
          If MsgBox(4149,"Error","Could not write to file") = 2 Then
               Exit
          EndIf    
     Wend     
     FileClose($file)

What I'm trying to do is:

• Open a file for writing (over-write if file exists)
  • Write a line of text
  • Close File
Nothing too complex, but I'm trying to wrap it in error checking so if it doesn't work the user can retry or cancel, as I think this would be more precise.

Does this look OK how I've coded it? Can anyone recommend a more slevete way of doing this? :whistle:

Ta

Chris

I haven't tested the following code, but it should work:

$file = -1  ; Assign a default "fail" state to $file
While $file == -1
   If MsgBox(4149,"Error","Could not open file for writing") <> 4 Then
     ExitLoop
   EndIf
Wend
While Not FileWrite($file,$Config)
  If MsgBox(4149,"Error","Could not write to file") <> 4 Then
     ExitLoop
  EndIf
Wend
FileClose($file)

Hope this helps!

Edit: BTW: I'm not sure why you had the logic around the FileWrite segment. Once you have write access to the file, you shouldn't lose it...

But I left it in just in case you're able to lose write access due to strange file sharing permissions within your network environment.

Edited by Bartokv

OK, I see what you're saying that by rights you shouldn't need logic around FileWrite. Considering I'm writing this to replace IniWrite because it doesn't work on Netware shares, I just wanted to be as precise and exact as possible.

The code you've sent looks better, but there is a problem in that it will always give the error message the first time, even if it could open the file.

The code you've sent looks better, but there is a problem in that it will always give the error message the first time, even if it could open the file.

Oops... Like I said, it wasn't tested. I forgot to include the other if statement within the first loop:

Dim $file = -1 ; Assign a default "fail" state to $file
While $file == -1
  If $file == -1  Then 
    If MsgBox(4149,"Error","Could not open file for writing") <> 4 Then ExitLoop
  EndIf
Wend

To follow standard coding practices I also Dimmed the first $file variable... I'm not use to Dimming variables, so I keep forgetting to use it. :whistle:

...However, I'd recommend using Larry's alternative since you're dealing with Netware Shares. His is much more robust and fault-tolerant.

Good stuff, thanks for the help. I know it's probably a little over-kill, but I just like to check for ever eventuality when I code so I actually never normally get the thing done!

I like the idea of Larry's using the sort of 'follow through' success value, so that an error will stop the rest of the stuff processing and just give an error. I guess I was being pernickity trying to give different errors for different problems.