Gui fails when code added

jefhal

I have a "cleanup" program that lets me run a series of computer housekeeping tasks on the local computer. I'd like to show the service tag of the computer on the screen of the gui while it runs. I can get the service tag using this code which runs a VB script in dos, puts the service tag into a file, which I then read. However, when I add this code to my cleanup script, the service tag code runs but the gui never appears:

FileDelete("c:\dellsertag.txt")     ; clear out old file
run(@ComSpec & ' /c ' & "\\student2\apps$\_bin\utils\GetDellSerTagOfThisComp.vbs","c:\"); puts Dell service tag into c:\dellsertag.txt
$sertagfile = FileOpen("c:\dellsertag.txt", 0); Open file in read mode that contains service tag
    If $sertagfile = -1 Then            ; Check if file opened for reading OK If $file = -1 Then
    Exit        
    MsgBox(0, "Error", "Unable to open file.")
    EndIf
$stline = FileReadLine($sertagfile) ; Read in first line of text to get service tag
    If @error = -1 Then Exit

I tried making this into a UDF, but the same error occurs. How can I run this code without blowing up the gui?

...by the way, it's pronounced: "JIF"... Bob Berry --- inventor of the GIF format

There is a script somewhere on the forums to convert vb scripts to autoit scripts, it may or may not work for every thing though.

I don't understand what you mean by 'the gui never appears'. What you should do is put the following line of code at the bottom of that snippet

MsgBox(0, "Dell Service Tag", $stline)

Which should tell you if your UDF is working correctly.

VB_Script_Converter.zip

Writing AutoIt scripts since

_DateAdd("d", -2, _NowCalcDate())

There is a script somewhere on the forums to convert vb scripts to autoit scripts, it may or may not work for every thing though.

I don't understand what you mean by 'the gui never appears'.  What you should do is put the following line of code at the bottom of that snippet

MsgBox(0, "Dell Service Tag", $stline)

Which should tell you if your UDF is working correctly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

MSLx Fanboy:

The $stline variable does return the correct value. However, the entire rest of my GUI never appears. Here's the code:

#include <GUIConstants.au3>
;AutoItSetOption("guioneventmode",1)
;GetDellServTag()

Global $Power, $DelProfs, $IndexOff, $SyncOff, $IECache, $EmptyRecyc, $Defrag, $Reboot, $VirusScan, $GoButton, $sertagfile, $stline

SplashTextOn("SHS Tech Support Notice", "Machine being cleaned. Please use another for now...", -1, 100, 50, 75, 4, "", 24)

GUICreate("Clean Up Computer", 255, 400) 
GUICtrlCreateLabel("Choose your Clean Up Tasks:", 12, 18)

$Power = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Power Always On / Hibernate Off",20,50,190,20)
    guictrlsetstate(4,$gui_checked)
$DelProfs = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Delete Local Profiles",20,70,190,20)
    guictrlsetstate(5,$gui_checked)
$IndexOff = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Indexing Off",20,90,190,20)
    guictrlsetstate(6,$gui_checked)
$SyncOff = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Offline File Sync Off",20,110,190,20)
    guictrlsetstate(7,$gui_checked)
$IECache = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("IECache 100MB / History 3 Days",20,130,190,20)
    guictrlsetstate(8,$gui_checked)
$EmptyRecyc = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Empty Recycle Bin",20,150,190,20)
    guictrlsetstate(9,$gui_checked)
$RegClean = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Clean the Registry",20,170,190,20)
    guictrlsetstate(10,$gui_checked)
$Defrag = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Defragment the C:\ Drive",20,190,190,20)
    guictrlsetstate(11,$gui_checked)
$VirusScan = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Scan for Viruses",20,210,190,20)
    guictrlsetstate(12,$gui_checked)
$WinACLS = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Run WinACLS",20,230,190,20)
    guictrlsetstate(13,$gui_checked)
$Reboot = GUICtrlCreateCheckbox("Reboot to Enable Changes",20,250,190,20)
    guictrlsetstate(14,$gui_checked)
$toggleselect = GUICtrlCreateButton("Toggle selection",20,275,190,20)
GUICtrlCreateLabel("The target system name is: ",20,300,190,20)
GUICtrlSetState(-1,$GUI_ACCEPTFILES)
$sysname = GUICtrlCreateInput(@ComputerName,20,315,190,20); will not accept drag&drop files
$GoButton = GUICtrlCreateButton("GO...",20,365,100,20)

GuiSetState()

While 1             ; Wait for user to select checkboxes and then press the "Go" button to begin routines
    $msg = guigetmsg()
    Select
    Case $msg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE; If user closes the dialog box the program is ended
        Exit
    ; ExitLoop

Case $msg = $toggleselect
    ;msgbox(0,"","toggle selected")
        $ci = 4
        while $ci < 15
        ;msgbox(0,"$ci=",$ci & " " & guictrlread($ci))
            if  GUICtrlRead($ci) = 4 Then 
                GUICtrlSetState($ci,$GUI_CHECKED)
            else 
                GUICtrlSetState($ci,$gui_UNchecked)
            EndIf
            $ci = $ci + 1
        Wend

Case $msg = $GoButton       ; If user selects the Go button, all checked tasks will be run

if(GuiCtrlRead($Power)  = 1) then       
    ; Make sure power settings are correct
            RunWait(@ComSpec & ' /c ' & "regedit /s \\student2\apps$\_bin\cleanup\hibernateOFF_heuristics.reg");turn off hibernate
            RunWait(@ComSpec & ' /c ' & 'regedit /s \\student2\apps$\_bin\cleanup\PowerCFG_AlwaysOn.reg')   ;set profile to "Always On"
                SplashTextOn("Progress Report", "Power is now Always ON, Hibernate is OFF", -1, 25, -1, 200, 4, "", 12)
                Sleep(3000)
                SplashOff()
    EndIf   

if(GuiCtrlRead($DelProfs)  = 1) then 
    ; Remove old local user profiles
            FileCopy("\\student2\apps$\_bin\cleanup\DelProfilesAnyuser.exe","c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop")
            Runwait('\\student2\apps$\_bin\cleanup\DelProfilesAnyuser.exe')                                 ;delete profiles
            ;Winwaitclose("c:\winnt\system32\cmd.exe")
            FileDelete("c:\documents and settings\all users\desktop\delProfilesAnyuser.exe")
            ;msgbox(0,"Wait for Profiles","Click OK when profile deletion is done")
                SplashTextOn("Progress Report", "User Profiles are now DELETED", -1, 25, -1, 225, 4, "", 12)
                Sleep(3000)
                SplashOff()
    EndIf

if(GuiCtrlRead($IndexOff)  = 1) then 
    ; Turn off File Indexing
            RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\cisvc","Start","REG_DWORD","4")
                SplashTextOn("Progress Report", "File Indexing is now OFF", -1, 25, -1, 250, 4, "", 12)
                Sleep(3000)
                SplashOff() 
    EndIf

if(GuiCtrlRead($SyncOff)  = 1) then 
    ; Turn off Offline File Synchronization             
;~          if RegEnumval("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\netcache",1) <> "enabled" or RegEnumval("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\netcache",2) <> "enabled" Then
;~              RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\netcache","Enabled","REG_DWORD")
;~              RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\netcache","DefCacheSize","REG_DWORD")
;~          EndIf
            RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\netcache","Enabled","REG_DWORD","0")
            RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\netcache","DefCacheSize","REG_DWORD","0")
            SplashTextOn("Progress Report", "Offline File Sync is now OFF", -1, 25, -1, 275, 4, "", 12)
                Sleep(3000)
                SplashOff()
    EndIf

if(GuiCtrlRead($IECache)  = 1) then 
    ; Reduce IE cache size to 20MB History to 7 days
            RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\Cache\Content","CacheLimit","REG_DWORD","102400")
            RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\Cache\Content","PerUserItem","REG_DWORD","0")
            RegWrite("HKEY_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\Cache\Content","CachePrefix","REG_SZ","")
            RegWrite("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Url History","DaysToKeep","REG_DWORD","3")
        ;RegWrite("HKEY_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\Cache\Content","CacheLimit","REG_DWORD","00005000")
                SplashTextOn("Progress Report", "IE Cache is now 100MB and History is 3 days", -1, 25, -1, 300, 4, "", 12)
                Sleep(3000)
                SplashOff()
    EndIf

if(GuiCtrlRead($EmptyRecyc)  = 1) then 
    ; Empty recycle bin
            RunWait(@comspec & ' /c ' & '\\student2\apps$\_bin\cleanup\erb /empty')
                SplashTextOn("Progress Report", "Recycle Bin is now EMPTY", -1, 25, -1, 325, 4, "", 12)
                Sleep(3000)
                SplashOff()
    EndIf

If(GUICtrlRead($RegClean) = 1) Then
    ; Clean Registry
            Run(@comspec & ' /c ' & '\\student2\apps$\_bin\RegClean.exe')
        ;sleep(40000)
            winwait("Microsoft RegClean","&Fix Errors")
            WinActivate("Microsoft RegClean","&Fix Errors")
            sleep(2000)
            ControlClick("Microsoft RegClean","&Fix Errors",1009)
            sleep(2000)
            ControlClick("Microsoft RegClean","&Fix Errors",1008)               
                SplashTextOn("Progress Report", "Registry is now clean", -1, 25, -1, 337, 4, "", 12)
                Sleep(3000)
                SplashOff()
    EndIf

if(GuiCtrlRead($Defrag)  = 1) then 
    ; Defragment the hard disk
            Run(@comspec & ' /c ' & 'dfrg.msc c:')
            WinWaitActive("Disk Defragmenter")
            ControlClick("Disk Defragmenter","","Button2")
            WinWaitActive("Defragmentation Complete","View &Report")
            ControlClick("Defragmentation Complete", "View &Report",2)
            WinClose("Disk Defragmenter")
                SplashTextOn("Progress Report", "Harddisk is now DEFRAGMENTED", -1, 25, -1, 350, 4, "", 12)
                Sleep(3000)
                SplashOff()
    EndIf

if(GuiCtrlRead($VirusScan)  = 1) then 
    ; Virusscan the hard disk
            Run('C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\mcconsol.exe')
            WinWaitActive("VirusScan Console - ","Local System")
            Send("{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}")
            send("!ss")
                    $text = WinGetText("VirusScan On-Demand","")
                ;msgbox(0,"Message found!",StringInStr($text,"No infected items were found"))
                    While StringInStr($text,"No infected items were found") <> 20
                        $text = WinGetText("VirusScan On-Demand","")
                    ;MsgBox(0, "Value of $text is:", $text)
                    WEnd
                            ;msgbox(0,"Message found!",StringInStr($text,"No infected items were found"))
                            ;WinClose("VirusScan On-Demand Scan Progress - New Scan");use this command for quick testing of scan of memory only
            WinClose("VirusScan On-Demand Scan Progress - Scan All Fixed Disks")
            WinClose("VirusScan Console - ","Local System") 
                SplashTextOn("Progress Report", "System is now scanned for Viruses", -1, 25, -1, 375, 4, "", 12)
                Sleep(3000)
                SplashOff()
    EndIf

if(GuiCtrlRead($WinACLS)  = 1) then 
    ; Run WinACLS
            Run("\\Staff\c$\AdminDocs\Windows_2000_acl_list_v.1.7.bat")
            WinWaitActive("C:\WINNT\system32\cmd.exe")
            WinWaitClose("C:\WINNT\system32\cmd.exe")
                SplashTextOn("Progress Report", "Windows Access Control Lists now updated", -1, 25, -1, 400, 4, "", 12)
                Sleep(3000)
                SplashOff()
    EndIf

if(GuiCtrlRead($Reboot)  = 1) then 
    ; Restart the computer to finish changing settings
            RunWait(@comspec & ' /c ' & '\\student2\apps$\_bin\shutdown.exe /L /R')
    EndIf

MsgBox(1,"","done")

ExitLoop
    EndSelect
WEnd
Exit

Func GetDellServTag()

FileDelete("c:\dellsertag.txt")     ; clear out old file
run(@ComSpec & ' /c ' & "\\student2\apps$\_bin\utils\GetDellSerTagOfThisComp.vbs","c:\"); puts Dell service tag into c:\dellsertag.txt
$sertagfile = FileOpen("c:\dellsertag.txt", 0); Open file in read mode that contains service tag
    If $sertagfile = -1 Then            ; Check if file opened for reading OK If $file = -1 Then
    Exit        
    EndIf
$stline = FileReadLine($sertagfile) ; Read in first line of text to get service tag
    If @error = -1 Then Exit
;MsgBox(0,"",$stline)
;FileDelete("c:\dellsertag.txt")
EndFunc

If I run this script as is, it works. However, if I uncomment out the third line, the gui never shows up. I have tried moving the third line to many other places with the same result. There is something about running commands that does not agree with the gui process...

Jeff

...by the way, it's pronounced: "JIF"... Bob Berry --- inventor of the GIF format

Put some MsgBox checks where you have exit in that function, you'll probably find you are exiting because of an error.

Func GetDellServTag()

FileDelete("c:\dellsertag.txt")    ; clear out old file
    Run(@ComSpec & ' /c ' & "\\student2\apps$\_bin\utils\GetDellSerTagOfThisComp.vbs", "c:\"); puts Dell service tag into c:\dellsertag.txt
    If $sertagfile = -1 Then           ; Check if file opened for reading OK If $file = -1 Then
        Exit
    EndIf
    $stline = FileReadLine($sertagfile)   ; Read in first line of text to get service tag
    If @error = -1 Then 
        MsgBox(0, "Error", "Unable to read file.")
        Exit
    EndIf
;MsgBox(0,"",$stline)
EndFunc  ;==>GetDellServTag
Edited by gafrost

SciTE for AutoItDirections for Submitting Standard UDFs

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Func GetDellServTag()

FileDelete("c:\dellsertag.txt")        ; clear out old file

Exit       

EndIf

$stline = FileReadLine($sertagfile)    ; Read in first line of text to get service tag

If @error = -1 Then Exit

;MsgBox(0,"",$stline)

EndFunc

I think this id right way:

Func GetDellServTag()

FileDelete("c:\dellsertag.txt")    ; clear out old file
    If $sertagfile = -1 Then           ; Check if file opened for reading OK 
If $file = -1 Then
    Return -1
    EndIf
$stline = FileReadLine($sertagfile)   ; Read in first line of text to get service tag
    If @error = -1 Then Return -1
;MsgBox(0,"",$stline)
  Return 0
EndFunc

1) Instead of Exit use in Function Return

2) MsgBox before Return (not after)

3) And I recommend use return value of function

and test it. If it's bad then Exit (but in main prog. and no in function)

I think this id right way:

Func GetDellServTag()

FileDelete("c:\dellsertag.txt")      ; clear out old file
    If $sertagfile = -1 Then          ; Check if file opened for reading OK 
If $file = -1 Then
    Return -1
    EndIf
$stline = FileReadLine($sertagfile)  ; Read in first line of text to get service tag
;MsgBox(0,"",$stline)
  Return 0
EndFunc

1) Instead of Exit use in Function Return

2) MsgBox before Return (not after)

3) And I recommend use return value of function

and test it. If it's bad then Exit (but in main prog. and no in function)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Zedna-

You were right on the money. I found I also had to change "run" to "runwait" so that the file was created before the script went on. Finally, I called the function just after the Global's were declared. Here's what I ended up with:

Func GetDellServTag()
runwait(@ComSpec & ' /c ' & "C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff\My Documents\bin\getsertag.vbs","c:\"); puts Dell service tag into c:\dellsertag.txt
    If $sertagfile = -1 Then          ; Check if file opened for reading OK;If $file = -1 Then
    Return -1
    EndIf
$stline = FileReadLine($sertagfile)  ; Read in first line of text to get service tag
;MsgBox(0,"",$stline); for debugging
;FileDelete("c:\dellsertag.txt"); this was not necessary
  Return 0
EndFunc

Thank you so much!

Jeff