PixelGetColor slower at higher resolutions?

Greetings,

I have a paint utility that utilizes PixelGetColor to send a mouseclick.

It works fine on my 1024 x 768 resolution and works on my friend's 1920 x 1080 resolution, however my friend has a 0.5 to 0.7-second delay between the PixelGetColor occurance and sending the mouseclick. My question is that even though it is still looking at one individual pixel, does a higher resolution yield slower reaction time? If so, is there a way to fix it?

Both are running Windows7 and his specs are much better than mine, yet it runs slower on his.

Thank you in advance,

-Chris

Oh I'm not sure, I haven't checked into that. That may be the difference, I'll ask him.

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that when he puts his resolution down to 1024 x 768 like mine, it runs fine.

Edit:But he would like to run at his native resolution.

Thank you for your reply,

-Chris

Edited by Vicate

In my experience dwm.exe (the process that is responsible for the fancy effects of aero), slows down all sorts of display interaction commands. I ran into it again with _ScreenCapture_Capture() yesterday and I believe PixelGetColor is also affected by this.

While it makes sense that a lower resolution would improve things I would expect that it still makes a large difference to turn off dwm.exe.

In my experience dwm.exe (the process that is responsible for the fancy effects of aero), slows down all sorts of display interaction commands. I ran into it again with _ScreenCapture_Capture() yesterday and I believe PixelGetColor is also affected by this.

While it makes sense that a lower resolution would improve things I would expect that it still makes a large difference to turn off dwm.exe.

Nice to know that. thanks

Well yeah that's what I was wondering, if PixelGetColor is doing much more than looking at one individual pixel, if it is actually looking at the resolution as a whole, in which case the search process would take considerably longer. (there is a 1mil+ pixel count difference in the resolutions)

When I get home I'll try it on my own computer (with Aero disabled) at a high resolution and come back with results.

Thanks guys,

-Chris

Edit: You were spot-on, Tvern. It seems Aero is what slowed it down for my friend. I run Windows in classic mode so noticed no difference at any resolution. I then told my friend to disable Aero and it works like a charm!

Edited by Vicate