Help with help

Hi, my problem is that I can't run help in script editor. When I type this problem in google... well, word 'help' for google is some kind of a charm. But whatever.

Can somebody explain it to me why i can't open help in my script editor? I would be grateful.

And yeah, i tried F1 :<

Edited by Azet

• Developers

Yes, I have always found that a problem with scite. So I just open up a script then open up help.

It isn't a problem but a consequence of the fact that SciTE uses the extension as indicator for the settings to be used.

So, when there is a file without an extension, SciTE doesn't know what to use yet.

After you save the file it will use the defined settings for *.au3.

Jos :)

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

• Developers

Is there any way externally, to have SciTE4AutoIt default to .au3 file extension if one is not available to it?

As far as I know only for the Lexer selection, which is currently already set as default to au3, but not for the Tools.

What you could do is to set Tools and helpfile like this to open the autoit3 helpfile by default:

## generic Tool available to all file extensions
command.42.*=$(SciteDefaultHome)\cvsWrapper\CvsWrapper.exe "$(FilePath)"
command.name.42.*=CVS Update Source
command.save.before.42.*=1
command.shortcut.42.*=F12
## generic Helpfile in case not specified in for the File extension
command.help.*=$(autoit3dir)\Autoit3Help.exe "$(CurrentWord)"
command.help.subsystem.*=2

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

That's handy to know, thanks Jos.

EDIT:

What I had in my mind was about its ability to run a script when you select File/New, without having to manually save it.

Akin to what the helpfile must do when you open a script from it (not sure if it saves the file in a temp path or the scripts are already installed)

Anything like that possible?

EDIT2;

Ignore me, I see the example scripts are installed along with Autoit.

Edited by JohnOne

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

• Developers

What I had in my mind was about its ability to run a script when you select File/New, without having to manually save it.

The thing to remember here is that before you can actually Run/Compile a script, it will have to be saved first!

So what should SciTE save it as when its still in "Untitled" ?

Anything can be create but there has to be some logic to follow first. :)

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

I was thinking along the lines of.

If SciTE detects the file is not saved, and therefore does not run it, then the file is saved in a temp folder with a logged random filename

or even just numeric 001.au3. This temp folder would be cleared upon the closure of SciTE, or file cleared upon a manual save as.

Edited by JohnOne

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

• Developers

I was thinking along the lines of.

If SciTE detects the file is not saved, and therefore does not run it, then the file is saved in a temp folder with a logged random filename

or even just numeric 001.au3. This temp folder would be cleared upon the closure of SciTE, or file cleared upon a manual save as.

That could result in people loosing their work when it is "auto saved as temp" and "auto destroyed" when SciTE is closed, when they "forget" to do a save as.

I wouldn't want to be the one explaining this all the time :)

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Developers

I imagine a save prompt would clear that up.

Personally I create my .au3 files before opening them anyway, so it would only be a convenience for layabouts dullards like myself :)

Try this one:

Just add the below lines to your SciTEUser.properties, start a new file and hit Run(f5).

command.go.*="$(SciteDefaultHome)\AutoIt3Wrapper\AutoIt3Wrapper.exe" /run /prod /ErrorStdOut /in "$(FilePath)" /autoit3dir "$(autoit3dir)" /UserParams $(1) $(2) $(3) $(4)
command.go.subsystem.*=1

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Try this one:

Just add the below lines to your SciTEUser.properties, start a new file and hit Run(f5).

command.go.*="$(SciteDefaultHome)\AutoIt3Wrapper\AutoIt3Wrapper.exe" /run /prod /ErrorStdOut /in "$(FilePath)" /autoit3dir "$(autoit3dir)" /UserParams $(1) $(2) $(3) $(4)
command.go.subsystem.*=1

That's pretty good, Thanks Jos.