PERLRE RegExp help

hi

i'm trying to match phone numbers (not that that matters) with a RegEx and having trouble trying to figure this out, even after reading several documents and posts here.

this is the closest i have gotten:

(?:^|\s)((?:1 |1-|\+1 )?\(?\d{3}\)?[ -]\d{3}-\d{4})(?:$|\s)

here's a sample test string:

555-5642-1212 787-888-7788 799-000-0000 344-343-4433

this matches...

787-888-7788

344-343-4433

the problem is i'm not matching the middle number and i know it's because of the outside non-capturing groups

(?:^|\s)and (?:$|\s), specifically the \s. i can understand why this is not working, but i don't know how to get around it since i need the space before and after each phone num.

i'm stuck :)

Edited by iCode

FUNCTIONS: WinDock (dock window to screen edge) | EditCtrl_ToggleLineWrap (line/word wrap for AU3 edit control) | SendEX (yet another alternative to Send( ) ) | Spell Checker (Hunspell wrapper) | SentenceCase (capitalize first letter of sentences)

CODE SNIPPITS: Dynamic tab width (set tab control width according to window width)

IMO it can be done much easier with a simpler expression:

#include<array.au3>
$str = "555-5642-1212 787-888-7788 799-000-0000 344-343-4433"
$arr = StringRegExp($str, "\d{3}-\d{3}-\d{4}", 3)
_ArrayDisplay($arr)

SNMP_UDF ... for SNMPv1 and v2c so far, GetBulk and a new example script

wannabe "Unbeatable" Tic-Tac-Toe

Paper-Scissor-Rock ... try to beat it anyway :)

sorry, i neglected to mention that i need to pull the numbers from a file where they could be mixed with whatever else, such as a web page for example. so in order to avoid what may be non-phone numbers ('abc222-333-4444' or '333-444-5555-333-444-5555'), i need to look for a space both before and after the number.

the regex i'm using will match stuff like...

+1 222-333-4444

1 222-333-4444

1-222-333-4444

which works fine until you run multiple numbers together on the same line...

222-333-4444 333-444-5555 444-555-6666

in which case it won't match the middle num

FUNCTIONS: WinDock (dock window to screen edge) | EditCtrl_ToggleLineWrap (line/word wrap for AU3 edit control) | SendEX (yet another alternative to Send( ) ) | Spell Checker (Hunspell wrapper) | SentenceCase (capitalize first letter of sentences)

CODE SNIPPITS: Dynamic tab width (set tab control width according to window width)

Why don't you StringSplit for " " your content and search every member after that for matches?

You'll need some good logic involved to detect such cases (+1 222-333-4444, 1 222-333-4444 ...) but it can be done.

SNMP_UDF ... for SNMPv1 and v2c so far, GetBulk and a new example script

wannabe "Unbeatable" Tic-Tac-Toe

Paper-Scissor-Rock ... try to beat it anyway :)

i need to look for a space both before and after the number.

222-333-4444 333-444-5555 444-555-6666

in which case it won't match the middle num

If you use a non-capturing group to match a space after a phone number, then this space is no more "available" for the space you require ahead of a patternin themiddle of a string.

You need to use look-behind and look-ahead assertions resp. which do not bump the index in the subject line and don't capture either.

(?<=^|\s)((?:1 |1-|\+1 )?\(?\d{3}\)?[ -]\d{3}-\d{4})(?=$|\s)

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

thanks very much jchd - that is exactly what i needed to know

i knew i was "using" the space, but wasn't sure why or how to get around it

brilliant!