TCP Stem Cell (for lack of better term)

Well I have two computers and I test out alot of scripts so the whole flash drive thing gets on my nerves, so I'm wondering if I could have a TCP server on a computer and send my scripts through a client and the computer would run them. It's kinda like ftp but not really. I've only worked with tcp, but maybe a ftp download to a shell execute might work. Can someone help me with this?

If I code a script on my desktop computer and then I want to test that script out on my laptop then I would plug the flash drive into my desktop, load the script onto a flash drive, eject the flash drive, unplug the flash drive, plug it into the laptop and then run the script and then eject it from the laptop unplug it, plug it into my desktop ad infinitum. Much easier to just send it through the network.

I love how I'm not the only person that is annoyed with flesh drives in that way. In fact personal project I'm working on right now is Network Scripting Interface (NSI). Hit the roadblock right now that I came here for help with.

Edited by dexto

Its not as simple as that.

Forgie me if I'm wrong as I dont know a great deal about networks, but the way I see it, once you put a sctpt on a shared folder/disk then all 30 computers get instant access to it.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

Forgie me if I'm wrong as I dont know a great deal about networks, but the way I see it, once you put a sctpt on a shared folder/disk then all 30 computers get instant access to it.

Don't take it wrong way shares are great. Imagine having a script that you need to run of 5 labs 30 computers each (with a share). Going to each one, finding a mouse... you back is not going to be happy. There ia always a startup/login/logoff/shutdown script and other ways to do it but each has to be planned way ahead. How about you get a call at home and u need to deploy a one-line fix..? In short in a lot of cases share alone is not enough.

I am probably missing something here (not unusual) :)

But a one line fix would still only require the fix to be applied to one file on a shared drive. Just seems overly complicated to have a smancy TCP driven super solution to a simple problem.

Anyway, I believe pexec has this sort of capability to execute code on a remote computer, but I'm not sure if its free to use.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

> But a one line fix would still only require the fix to be applied to one file on a shared drive.

In some cases, yes! :)

psexec is a great tool (but as greedy as I am with features it lucks a lot)