Microsoft Security Essentials

Since upgrading to the latest version of Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) v2.1.1116.0, I have found that at least one of my compiled scripts runs very slow. I cannot be sure that MSE is the cause (it might perhaps be one of the recent Windows updates, although it is the same on my XP desktop and my Win7-32 notebook), but adding the .exe file to the Excluded files list in MSE solves the problem.

Has anybody else experienced this? Is there a way to exclude all AutoIt compiled programs, for example by listing a .dll?

Chris

Since upgrading to the latest version of Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) v2.1.1116.0, I have found that at least one of my compiled scripts runs very slow. I cannot be sure that MSE is the cause (it might perhaps be one of the recent Windows updates, although it is the same on my XP desktop and my Win7-32 notebook), but adding the .exe file to the Excluded files list in MSE solves the problem.

It would be more interesting/helpfull to know what part in that script is responsible for the slowdown.

Has anybody else experienced this? Is there a way to exclude all AutoIt compiled programs, for example by listing a .dll?

This makes no sense at all. Excluding all autoit build files just because just one is giving you a problem. But no, there is no direct(easy) way to see if a exe is a autoit build executable.

"Straight_and_Crooked_Thinking" : A "classic guide to ferreting out untruths, half-truths, and other distortions of facts in political and social discussions."
"The Secrets of Quantum Physics" : New and excellent 2 part documentary on Quantum Physics by Jim Al-Khalili. (Dec 2014)

"Believing what you know ain't so" ...

Knock Knock ...

Thanks for the swift response.

It would be more interesting/helpfull to know what part in that script is responsible for the slowdown.

Yes, I guess I should try to find the time to investigate further, although at this stage I'm not sure how I'd start. One of the problems with investigating further (and perhaps the reason for the additional question) was that there is no slow-down in the response when running the un-compiled script. I'm not sure what that suggests. But I was rather hoping to find out if anyone else had experienced problems before digging deeper.

This makes no sense at all. Excluding all autoit build files just because just one is giving you a problem. But no, there is no direct(easy) way to see if a exe is a autoit build executable.

Thanks. That's rather what I expected. But I guess I don't quite see what the problem would be excluding all autoit build executables from a virus scan, since I can be confident that they are not infected.

Chris

that there is no slow-down in the response when running the un-compiled script.

That sound like some account login situation/problem. Having something similar laying around (wip) ... but it could of course also be something else.

since I can be confident that they are not infected.

If there your own builds, I would doubt that to.

I would block the dev folders from AV scanning (assuming already done), and keeping a list of the filenames of your autoit tools that u use across your system to be imported into the AV exclution list.

(and ... reporting them as false positives to the AV creators.)

Edited by iEvKI3gv9Wrkd41u

"Straight_and_Crooked_Thinking" : A "classic guide to ferreting out untruths, half-truths, and other distortions of facts in political and social discussions."
"The Secrets of Quantum Physics" : New and excellent 2 part documentary on Quantum Physics by Jim Al-Khalili. (Dec 2014)

"Believing what you know ain't so" ...

Knock Knock ...

Thanks. That's rather what I expected. But I guess I don't quite see what the problem would be excluding all autoit build executables from a virus scan, since I can be confident that they are not infected.

Chris

The problem with excluding all AutoIt executables is that some malware out in the wild has been written in AutoIt and by excluding them from your AV scanner, you're opening your computer to this malware.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator