[Solved] Can I get Autoit portable?

Is there a portable version that includes Scite & koda & autoit & the thing that lets you register the au3 file extensions ?

Edited by goldenix
My Projects:[list][*]Guide - ytube step by step tut for reading memory with autoitscript + samples[*]WinHide - tool to show hide windows, Skinned With GDI+[*]Virtualdub batch job list maker - Batch Process all files with same settings[*]Exp calc - Exp calculator for online games[*]Automated Microsoft SQL Server 2000 installer[*]Image sorter helper for IrfanView - 1 click opens img & move ur mouse to close opened img[/list]

In the examples section there are a couple of ways that you can make AutoIT portable, or at least mostly portable. There's absolutely no point in having a portable version that registers the .au3 files, otherwise why make it portable? The point of having it portable is that you can plug in a drive with it on it and start editing/running scripts without having to install it.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

In the examples section there are a couple of ways that you can make AutoIT portable, or at least mostly portable. There's absolutely no point in having a portable version that registers the .au3 files, otherwise why make it portable? The point of having it portable is that you can plug in a drive with it on it and start editing/running scripts without having to install it.

I want to use autoit in my Virtual machines, but installing it every time I make new WM or reinstall windows is a pain, so i need a solution, that lets me use autoit without installing it, fast & easy.

I wanna map a network drive where I have autoit folder. then double click the au3 file, & it should open in scite. this why i was thinking of registering au3 extension.

So what are my options?

Edited by goldenix
My Projects:[list][*]Guide - ytube step by step tut for reading memory with autoitscript + samples[*]WinHide - tool to show hide windows, Skinned With GDI+[*]Virtualdub batch job list maker - Batch Process all files with same settings[*]Exp calc - Exp calculator for online games[*]Automated Microsoft SQL Server 2000 installer[*]Image sorter helper for IrfanView - 1 click opens img & move ur mouse to close opened img[/list]

You'd have to reregister the extension every time you recreate the VM, there's no way around it and still use AutoIt without installing it.

EDIT: Look at the Windows commands Assoc and FType on how to programmatically create a file association.

Edited by BrewManNH

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

The best option would be an installer that does the installation without copying files. Then the steps would be:

- attach network drive

- run installer (without copying this will need only a few seconds)

- use AutoIt as usual.

*GERMAN* [note: you are not allowed to remove author / modified info from my UDFs]My UDFs:[_SetImageBinaryToCtrl] [_TaskDialog] [AutoItObject] [Animated GIF (GDI+)] [ClipPut for Image] [FreeImage] [GDI32 UDFs] [GDIPlus Progressbar] [Hotkey-Selector] [Multiline Inputbox] [MySQL without ODBC] [RichEdit UDFs] [SpeechAPI Example] [WinHTTP]UDFs included in AutoIt: FTP_Ex (as FTPEx), _WinAPI_SetLayeredWindowAttributes

Some guy recommended me thinapp, I gave it a try & was able to successfully integrate autoit, scite & koda into 1 portable package.

But there are still 2 little problems. Can I get some help solving them please?

I want the Right click & create New AutoIt v3 Script.au3

Any idea how can I do that?, I made fast search & came out with nothing atm.

Second problem is the registering of the au3 file extension. Yes I can right click it & open in scite & it will work, but all this is pain, I want it to be more user friendly. lick double click an exe file once & it gets done.

I found some examples, but none of them is working for some reason.

Im running Win XP sp3 btw.

Hire is a sample of registering the au3 file extensiion, it does not work for some reason tho.

Example assumes that SciTE.exe is located in the scriptfolder.

RegWrite("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.au3","Application","REG_SZ",'script.exe') ; extension & flag
RegWrite("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.au3\OpenWithList","a","REG_SZ",'script.exe') ; can be added more associations (b, c, d, ...)
RegWrite("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.au3\OpenWithList","MRUList","REG_SZ",'a') ; to use association
RegWrite("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Applications\script.exe\shell\open\command","","REG_SZ",'"' & @ScriptDir & "\SciTE.exe" & '" ' & '"%1"') ; loacation of program associated
Edited by goldenix

Use the Run command and the 2 Windows programs I mentioned earlier, Assoc and Ftype, to register the filetypes and programs to open them. You can create it as a log on script if you need to. No need to play with the registry to have it automatically open in SciTE as these 2 will handle all the work for you.

As to the right click menu, you need to search for Windows Explorer context menu and you'll find many examples that have been posted.

• Developers

This Check program I have been writing overtime to discover problems with registry settings contain all currently used Registry setting:

; *** Start added by AutoIt3Wrapper ***
#include <StaticConstants.au3>
; *** End added by AutoIt3Wrapper ***
#Region ;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI ****
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Add_Constants=n
#EndRegion ;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI ****
;***********************************************************
; Scriptname: Get_AU3_Settings.au3
; Script to display Registry setting for SciTE & AutoIt3
;***********************************************************
#include<misc.au3>
#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
Global $TotalMsg
Display_Console("******************************************************************************************************************************************" & @CRLF)
$FixedOpen = RegRead("HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.au3", "Application")
$FixedOpenW7 = RegRead("HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.au3\Userchoice", "ProgId")
If $FixedOpen <> "" Then
    Display_Console("!*  Found always open with:" & $FixedOpen & @CRLF)
    Display_Console('!*  Fixed by removing Registry Hyve: "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.au3" Key:"Application"')
EndIf
If $FixedOpenW7 <> "" Then
    Display_Console("!*  Found always open with Win7:" & $FixedOpenW7 & @CRLF)
    Display_Console('!*  Fixed by removing Registry key: "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.au3\Userchoice"')
EndIf
$au3prof = RegRead("HKCR\.au3", "")
If $au3prof <> "AutoIt3Script" And $au3prof <> "AutoIt3ScriptBeta" Then
    Display_Console("!* HKCR\.au3 Default :" & $au3prof)
    Display_Console('  ==> This should be either "AutoIt3Script" or "AutoIt3ScriptBeta"' & @CRLF)
;~  RegWrite("HKCR\.au3","","REG_SZ","AutoIt3Script")
Else
    Display_Console("* HKCR\.au3 Default       :" & $au3prof & @CRLF)
EndIf
$RegKeyBase = "HKCR\" & $au3prof & "\shell"
Display_Console("* HKCR\.au3 ShellNew      :" & RegRead("HKCR\.au3\Shellnew", "Filename"))
Display_Console("   " & _Iif(FileExists("C:\Windows\SHELLNEW\" & RegRead("HKCR\.au3\Shellnew", "Filename")), " File Exists.", " *** File is Misssing!") & @CRLF)
Display_Console("******************************************************************************************************************************************" & @CRLF)
Display_Console("* Explorer shell options:" & @CRLF)
Display_Console("* " & $RegKeyBase & ": " & @CRLF)
Display_Console("*  => Default Action:" & RegRead($RegKeyBase, "") & @CRLF)
For $i = 1 To 30
    $var = RegEnumKey($RegKeyBase, $i)
    If @error <> 0 Then ExitLoop
    Display_Console("*     " & StringLeft($var & "                       ", 22))
    $var2 = RegEnumKey($RegKeyBase & "\" & $var, 1)
    Display_Console(" => " & $var2)
    Display_Console(":" & RegRead($RegKeyBase & "\" & $var & "\" & $var2, "") & @CRLF)
Next
Display_Console("*  " & @CRLF)
Display_Console("*  ShellNew:" & RegRead("HKCR\.au3\ShellNew", "FileName") & @CRLF)
;~ If @Compiled Then
ClipPut($TotalMsg)
GUICreate(".au3 registry settings", 1000, 400)
GUICtrlCreateLabel($TotalMsg, 1, 1, 998, 320)
GUICtrlSetFont(-1, Default, Default, Default, "Courier New")
$h_exit = GUICtrlCreateButton("Exit",450,350,50,30)
GUICtrlCreateLabel("* information is stored on the clipboard.", 10, 370)
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)
Do
    $msg = GUIGetMsg()
Until $msg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE or $msg = $h_exit
;
Func Display_Console($msg)
;~  ConsoleWrite($msg)
    $TotalMsg &= $msg
EndFunc   ;==>Display_Console
Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

I want to use autoit in my Virtual machines, but installing it every time I make new WM or reinstall windows is a pain, so i need a solution, that lets me use autoit without installing it, fast & easy.

I wanna map a network drive where I have autoit folder. then double click the au3 file, & it should open in scite. this why i was thinking of registering au3 extension.

So what are my options?

You have a few options.

1. You can write a script that maps the drive letter and writes registry entries that associate .au3 with the compiler. All you would have to do is run the .exe once and it will do the rest.

2. You can create a clean virtual machine, install AutoIt and take a snapshot. Then, instead of reinstalling, just go back to the snapshot. This is the method I would recommend.

3. You can create a self-installing executable and add it to your Windows installation disc and have it run silently during the installation of Windows (look for nLite or vLite to do this).

#include <ByteMe.au3>

okey I solved issues with registering the au3 file extension & the icons by adding this to the registry.

:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.au3]
@="au3_auto_file"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\au3_auto_file\shell\open\command]
@="\"Z:\\Soft\\autoit\\AutoIt Portable v3.3.6.1\\SciTE.exe\" \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AutoIt3Script\DefaultIcon]
@="Z:\\Soft\\autoit\\AutoIt Portable v3.3.6.1\\au3script_v10.ico"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AutoIt3Script\DefaultIcon]
@="Z:\\Soft\\autoit\\AutoIt Portable v3.3.6.1\\au3script_v10.ico"

Installing this when installing win wont do me any good since it limits me only yo this os.

I have been doing snapshots whole day today, it speeds my testing speed tenfold.

Last problem that remains is the adding the damn thing into the right click explorer context menu.

All guides I tried simply dont work.

As last resort I tried to literally copy the autoit reg into my virtual machine. & it worked once. After I right click &make new autoit file the entry magically vanishes from the context menu.

im am at loss hire :)

Edited by goldenix

• Developers

Installing this when installing win wont do me any good since it limits me only yo this os.

I have been doing snapshots whole day today, it speeds my testing speed tenfold.

Last problem that remains is the adding the damn thing into the right click explorer context menu.

All guides I tried simply dont work.

As last resort I tried to literally copy the autoit reg into my virtual machine. & it worked once. After I right click &make new autoit file the entry magically vanishes from the context menu.

im am at loss hire :)

Have you looked at my script that shows exactly which Keys are read in which sequence?

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Have you looked at my script that shows exactly which Keys are read in which sequence?Jos

I do not know what im supposed to do with this information your script gives me.:

******************************************************************************************************************************************
* HKCR\.au3 Default       :AutoIt3Script
* HKCR\.au3 ShellNew      :Template.au3    File Exists.
******************************************************************************************************************************************
* Explorer shell options:
* HKCR\AutoIt3Script\shell: 
*  => Default Action:Open
*     Compile                => Command:"C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\Aut2Exe\Aut2Exe.exe" /in "%l"
*     Compile with Options   => Command:"C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\SciTE\AutoIt3Wrapper\AutoIt3Wrapper.exe" /ShowGui /in "%l"
*     Edit                   => Command:"C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\SciTE\SciTE.exe" "%1"
*     Open                   => Command:"C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\SciTE\SciTE.exe" "%1"
*     Run                    => Command:"C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\AutoIt3.exe" "%1" %*
*     Tidy                   => Command:"C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\SciTE\Tidy\Tidy.exe" "%1"
*  ShellNew:Template.au3

• Developers

I do not know what im supposed to do with this information your script gives me.:

Well the script retrieves all "right-mouse-click" settings for AU3 files so you should be able to get the information needed to make it work for yourself by writing that information yourself... or am I misunderstanding your question?

Jos

Edited by Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Well the script retrieves all "right-mouse-click" settings for AU3 files so you should be able to get the information needed to make it work for yourself by writing that information yourself... or am I misunderstanding your question?

Jos

I see, however as you see from above, it does not return anything useful. I ran this in clean VM & in my main os with properly installed autoit, and it returns exact same values.

In fact, it says that Template.au3 File Exists. Well it did not exist when i ran this.

well according to the guides I have been reading, you go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT , make .au3 key then under this key you make another key called ShellNew, then you go to right panel of the editor & create a new String value called NullFile

And this is it, it should work.

How comes it does not do anything?

Edited by goldenix

• Developers

Its correct that it is now stored in the below HKCR key and updated my above code:

RegRead("HKCR\.au3\ShellNew", "FileName")

It is clear to me that nothing is returned when the Installer isn't ran first, but that wasn't the purpose of sharing it.

Jos

Edited by Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

okey, no mater what I do, the right click & add new file simply does not work the way it supposed to.

I even Copied whole registry & then restored it, & nada, I do not know how autoit adds the right click thing.

it ether woks once, or it works until I restart the vm.

Screw this then, I dont have more time to deal with this.

Hire is the package tho, in case someone feels like adding Right click & create new autoit file functionality, feel free to do so. Rest works.

To register ext & icons double click the Register Icon & ext.exe, file You will need to re register stuff each time you move the folder. Cuz Windows does not know where you moved the folder. Therefore it cant open au3 files if you double click them. But if you drag & drop the file into Scite.exe it will still work.

To register ext & icons double click the Register Icon & ext.exe, file You will need to re register stuff each time you move the folder. Cuz Windows does not know where you moved the folder. Therefore it cant open au3 files if you double click them. But if you drag & drop the file into Scite.exe it will still work.

That is pretty much what I stated a while back in the thread, having it portable, and having it registered isn't going to work very well. Especially if your USB drive letter gets changed every time a new USB drive is plugged in. I would just use one of the portable AutoIt workarounds that are in the example section and use it that way rather than trying to over think the problem.

it seems they have fixed the search, Found 2 topics, will check them out tomorrow.

You meant those, or is there more?

it seems they have fixed the search, Found 2 topics, will check them out tomorrow.

You meant those, or is there more?

I use the one from the first link you gave, plus I rewrote the AutoIt3Wrapper script used with it to look in the portable folder for the executables to run. There's a link in the thread to it.

I use the one from the first link you gave, plus I rewrote the AutoIt3Wrapper script used with it to look in the portable folder for the executables to run. There's a link in the thread to it.

I compiled the wrapper successfully. But the launcher code gives me 2 errors can you share your launcher code please?:

I also tried to remove the 0 from the end, but then when I try to compile it simply freezes.

Desktop\aaaaa.au3(60,63) : ERROR: __GetFile() called with wrong number of args.
    $sData = __GetFile($sSciTeDirectory & $sSciTeProperties, 0)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^
Desktop\aaaaa.au3(44,23) : REF: definition of __GetFile().
Func __GetFile($sFile)
Edited by goldenix