UDF : _Picture

FuryCell

I created this UDF after looking through my Computer Desktop Enclopeda when i found this article. (I can't link to it just look up picture at )http://www.computerlanguage.com/webexamples.htm

(I have the stand-alone version but its in the web version too.)

The UDF takes a number and formats it how you want it.

For example:

_Picture("(999)999-9999",2152971234)
would return (215)297-1234.

Here is the header:

CODE
Removed

Please let me know what you think.

Old version removed.Scroll down for the new version.

Edited by SolidSnake
HKTunes:Softpedia | GoogleCodeLyricToy:Softpedia | GoogleCodeRCTunes:Softpedia | GoogleCodeMichtaToolsProgrammer n. - An ingenious device that turns caffeine into code.

Interesting... Kind of reminds me of COBOL. Why is this? Nice error checking..

I will have to look into it further... Thx!

Cheers.. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the Feedback. I have never used COBOL but I know it stands For Common Bussiness Orenented Laungauge. Do you know where I can download a free version of COBOL. I would like to see what it is like even though it is probably horribly outdated. :evil:
HKTunes:Softpedia | GoogleCodeLyricToy:Softpedia | GoogleCodeRCTunes:Softpedia | GoogleCodeMichtaToolsProgrammer n. - An ingenious device that turns caffeine into code.

Thanks for the Feedback. I have never used COBOL but I know it stands For Common Bussiness Orenented Laungauge. Do you know where I can download a free version of COBOL. I would like to see what it is like even though it is probably horribly outdated.  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

COBOL is not out-dated, sad to say. It is used in the world of banking so where there is money???? :)

Here are some COBOL links to check out:

Tiny Cobol - Sourceforge.net

Listing of Cobol sites & Compilers

Cobol for GCC - Sourceforge.net

Freebyte Cobol Goodies

You will like this site most of all it has some of the above links but a lot more.. :evil:

Free Programmers Resource

Based on these links COBOL is still alive and kicking. Why you may ask? I cannot answer that question. It did have some really nice aspect when I used to use it. I have not check out any improvements it may have now days.

Have fun. If you learn something from all this, please share it.. :mad:

Cheers.. :D

*gets out COBAL manual printed before his birth*

umm yeah exactly like the COBAL PICTURE, except it doesn't support all of the features.

why not write a sprintf function (or do we have one, not really interested just asking)?

I keep the COBAL manual because it has great pictures of historical computer machinary, like cylinder drives, core memory, bunch card machines.

Edited by BlindWanderer

*gets out COBAL manual printed before his birth*

umm yeah exactly like the COBAL PICTURE, except it doesn't support all of the features.

why not write a sprintf function (or do we have one, not really interested just asking)?

I keep the COBAL manual because it has great pictures of historical computer machinary, like cylinder drives, core memory, bunch card machines.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Never used COBOL but maybe you could tell what extra features its Picture fucntion had and I can try to add them.

Thanks for the Feedback

-SolidSnake

COBOL is not out-dated, sad to say. It is used in the world of banking so where there is money???? :)

Here are some COBOL links to check out:

Tiny Cobol - Sourceforge.net

Listing of Cobol sites & Compilers

Cobol for GCC - Sourceforge.net

Freebyte Cobol Goodies

You will like this site most of all it has some of the above links but a lot more..  :evil:

Free Programmers Resource

Based on these links COBOL is still alive and kicking. Why you may ask? I cannot answer that question. It did have some really nice aspect when I used to use it. I have not check out any improvements it may have now days.

Thanks I Will have to try these out especally to get more info about picture so i can add more features like Blind Wanderer said it had in COBOL.

Thanks.

P.S. I can't belive COBOL is still used. I thought they stopped using it in the late eighties. LOL  :D

Have fun. If you learn something from all this, please share it..  :mad:

Cheers..  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks will have to check those out. Edited by SolidSnake

The new version is done. :)

Here is the header:

CODE
;===============================================================================

;

; Description: Formats a string according to the way specified by $sPicture

; Syntax: _Picture($sPicture, $sString2Format, $sAPriority = "DL", $sXPriority = "DLC")

;

; Parameter(s): $sPicture = The picture to use for formatting the string. See notes for details.

; $iNumber = The string to be formatted.

;

;

;

; Requirement(s): None

; Return Value(s): On Success - Returns a string representation of $iNumber formatted according to $sPicture

; On Failure - Returns an empty string "" if no files are found and sets @Error on errors

; @Error=1 $sPicture length is zero

; @Error=2 $sString2Format length is zero

; @Error=3 $sAPriority is invalid (must have a length of 2 and contain both an N and an L)

; @Error=4 $sXPriority is invalid (must have a length of 3 and contain an N , an L , and a C)

; @Error=5 More digit requests in $sPicture than digits in $sString2Format

; @Error=6 More letter requests in $sPicture than digits in $sString2Format

; @Error=7 "a" request failed because no more letters or digits were available

; @Error=8 "X" request failed because no more letters, digits, or numbers were available

; Author(s): SolidSnake <MetalGX91 at GMail dot com>

;

; Note(s): a capital A in $sPicture would be replaced with a numeric character from $sString2Format

; a lowercase a in $sPicture would be replaced with an alphanumeric character from $sString2Format in the precedence specified by $iAPriority

; an uppercase X in $sPicture would be replaced with an any character from $sString2Format in the precedence specified by $iXPriority

; a C in $sPicture would be replaced by a nonalphanumeric character from $sString2Format

; a slash / specified that the next character is to be taken literally and not to be replaced.

; For example _Picture("AAAC999","123ABC-") would return ABC-123

; Version : 2.0

;===============================================================================

Edit:Added a version number so it won't be confused with the older version.

Edit:Changed header to reflect my new email address. (Previous downloads 108)

PictureExample.au3

PictureUDF.au3

Edited by SolidSnake

The new version is done.  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the new post. I will give it a try. Also, just as a note that you should add version numbers to your fuctions. ;-) It could be easily mistaken for your older function.

Just a thought.. :)

Cheer.. :evil:

Thanks for the new post. I will give it a try. Also, just as a note that you should add version numbers to your fuctions. ;-) It could be easily mistaken for your older function.

Just a thought..  :)

Cheer..  :evil:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the feedback.

Will add a version number to my UDF.

Edit:Done... I added a version number to my UDF.

Edited by SolidSnake

So, after you get done reviewing the COBOL _Picture function it would be great to see what functionality you have added.

Cheers :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah. Right now it is is similar alphanumeric picture. I plan to add date picture and Number picture too. I think I might make The Alphanumeric and Numeric into one UDF but the date one will be a seperate UDF.

Thanks for the feedback.

-SolidSnake

Edited by SolidSnake

Yeah. Right now it is is similar alphanumeric picture. I plan to add date picture and Number picture too. I think I might make The Alphanumeric and Numeric into one UDF but the date one will be a seperate UDF.

Thanks for the feedback.

-SolidSnake

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like your :). Can wait to see what you come up with.. :D

Cheers.. :evil:

• 5 months later...

I created this UDF after looking through my Computer Desktop Enclopeda when i found this article. (I can't link to it just look up picture at )http://www.computerlanguage.com/webexamples.htm

(I have the stand-alone version but its in the web version too.)

The UDF takes a number and formats it how you want it.

For example:

_Picture("(999)999-9999",2152971234)
would return (215)297-1234.

I think it's a very misleading name,even though the feature is useful. It implies some sort of graphics feature

Why not use a name that tells you what it does, like Format(), printf(), etc ??

I think it's a very misleading name,even though the feature is useful. It implies some sort of graphics feature

Why not use a name that tells you what it does, like Format(), printf(), etc ??

In COBOL and possibly some other langauges it also called Picture and I was just following the way other languages name it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Edited by SolidSnake

Excellent work SolidSnake. I too was confused by the name, but I understood as soon as I saw the function. I havent messed with many other languages that have such a function, but I see where the idea came from. Excellent work.

JS

AutoIt Links

File-String Hash Plugin Updated! 04-02-2008 Plugins have been discontinued. I just found out.

ComputerGetInfo UDF's Updated! 11-23-2006

External Links

Vortex Revolutions Engineer / Inventor (Web, Desktop, and Mobile Applications, Hardware Gizmos, Consulting, and more)

Excellent work SolidSnake. I too was confused by the name, but I understood as soon as I saw the function. I havent messed with many other languages that have such a function, but I see where the idea came from. Excellent work.

JS

Thanks for the feedback.

Glad you liked the UDF.