The Crusher

llewxam

Many months ago when I was getting ready for a new computer build, a co-worker sent me a link to a YouTube video for an SSD, a Samsung I think, and as a demonstration they built a really high-end machine, set up several of their SSDs in a RAID-0, and launched every application on the computer to see how fast it would do it. Thus was planted the seed for The Crusher!

This script will dig through your Start Menu not just looking for executables, but anything that it can run. The reason I have it find everything is that pretty much anything in the Start Menu will have an association to something that will open it, and that just means more things to open!! :mellow:

On my current machine this script is unable to truly "Crush" it, when I get up to 500 running processes Windows seems to start taking out things in order to open new ones which is kinda funny, and when the RAM gets pretty close to full it frees some more up. The whole time, my processor NEVER comes close to maxing out! :)

Specs of my machine currently:

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T

8GB DDR3 1333MHz

OCZ RevoDrive 120GB (best purchase in 20 years of building PCs!!!)

Win7 x64

Can your machine withstand The Crusher?? :)

Enjoy

Ian

PS - make sure you grab Ascend4nt's Performance Counters and put them in the same folder as The Crusher:

Removed
Edited by Valik

My projects:

• IP Scanner - Multi-threaded ping tool to scan your available networks for used and available IP addresses, shows ping times, resolves IPs in to host names, and allows individual IPs to be pinged.
  • INFSniff - Great technicians tool - a tool which scans DriverPacks archives for INF files and parses out the HWIDs to a database file, and rapidly scans the local machine's HWIDs, searches the database for matches, and installs them.
  • PPK3 (Persistent Process Killer V3) - Another for the techs - suppress running processes that you need to keep away, helpful when fighting spyware/viruses.
  • Sync Tool - Folder sync tool with lots of real time information and several checking methods.
  • USMT Front End - Front End for Microsoft's User State Migration Tool, including all files needed for USMT 3.01 and 4.01, 32 bit and 64 bit versions.
  • Audit Tool - Computer audit tool to gather vital hardware, Windows, and Office information for IT managers and field techs. Capabilities include creating a customized site agent.
  • CSV Viewer - Displays CSV files with automatic column sizing and font selection. Lines can also be copied to the clipboard for data extraction.
  • MyDirStat - Lists number and size of files on a drive or specified path, allows for deletion within the app.
  • 2048 Game - My version of 2048, fun tile game.
  • Juice Lab - Ecigarette liquid making calculator.
  • Data Protector - Secure notes to save sensitive information.
  • VHD Footer - Add a footer to a forensic hard drive image to allow it to be mounted or used as a virtual machine hard drive.
  • Find in File - Searches files containing a specified phrase.

• 3 months later...

I realize your intent isn't malicious but this script is pretty nasty and potentially dangerous. There are far too many terrible scripters on this forum who would "prank" their friends with this or adjust it to run on startup or otherwise weaponize it.

LOL @ Valik - I can't help but feel proud of the Crusher for having been pulled off the forum! hahaha No problem, I'll remove it from my sig.

@ czardas - THAT'S THE POINT! :oops: My machine has never been fully Crushed, I think 6 cores @ 3.3GHz, 8GB DDR3, and a hyped-up SSD is enough to withstand it. I have actually run this on MANY computers as a stress test at work, and it has only broken a couple of them. Windows is pretty good at keeping itself alive, so around 500 running processes things just start to disappear to make room for new ones, and paging really gets dramatic as the system tries to free up RAM. And when the system does finally just run out of steam, hit the power button once to start an ACPI shutdown, let Windows prompt you a million times to force close apps, and eventually it will shut down. And even how well a system can manage to shut down after being Crushed was part of the fun! :D

@ dirty - Always keep your eyes open on the forum, I have learned some cool things from people whose scripts are doing things that I have no need of. Reading other people's code is a great way to see what to do, and what not to do!

R.I.P. Crusher

Ian

My projects:

• IP Scanner - Multi-threaded ping tool to scan your available networks for used and available IP addresses, shows ping times, resolves IPs in to host names, and allows individual IPs to be pinged.
  • INFSniff - Great technicians tool - a tool which scans DriverPacks archives for INF files and parses out the HWIDs to a database file, and rapidly scans the local machine's HWIDs, searches the database for matches, and installs them.
  • PPK3 (Persistent Process Killer V3) - Another for the techs - suppress running processes that you need to keep away, helpful when fighting spyware/viruses.
  • Sync Tool - Folder sync tool with lots of real time information and several checking methods.
  • USMT Front End - Front End for Microsoft's User State Migration Tool, including all files needed for USMT 3.01 and 4.01, 32 bit and 64 bit versions.
  • Audit Tool - Computer audit tool to gather vital hardware, Windows, and Office information for IT managers and field techs. Capabilities include creating a customized site agent.
  • CSV Viewer - Displays CSV files with automatic column sizing and font selection. Lines can also be copied to the clipboard for data extraction.
  • MyDirStat - Lists number and size of files on a drive or specified path, allows for deletion within the app.
  • VHD Footer - Add a footer to a forensic hard drive image to allow it to be mounted or used as a virtual machine hard drive.

Disregard? It was a silly script which even said in big bold letters that it would cause your machine to crash. Which is almost certainly would not, just bog it down. Did you ever even check it out? I'm not upset that it has been removed,but don't want it to sound like it was something malicious.

Pentium 3s survived it for goodness sake............

Ian

My projects:

Not everyone can afford a robust rig such as yours. The fact you already trounced a couple of systems with this script shows a certain amount of disregard for beginners or anyone susceptible to run such code without knowledge of the potential danger to their system.

The point of crusher is to crush systems to "stress test" them. This is important for techs as a system might work perfectly when not stressed but fail when the customers stresses it (like playing games).

A stress tester is an important part of the tool box to give the best service to a customer.

This one is a little over the top but still very usefull!

llewxam Sorry for sounding off. I never thought you had any malicious intent, but rather I thought that you merely had an oversight regarding the potential chaos this particular script of yours might cause. Please don't take offence. I think you're a good coder and your posts are generally interesting and pretty helpful.

storme I understand the concept of stress testing a system, and the purpose of the script.

No problemo, don't give it a second thought.

Thanks

Ian

My projects: