StartUpSentinel

FuryCell

This is a little program I made some time ago. I had to change the name because I found out somebody else already took the name.It monitors the GlobalRunKey,LocalRunKey,Local & Global Startup and Services(Only under 9x\Me. will make service blocking work on XP when the latest version of AutoIt comes out because I need dllstruct.) and when something changes it tell you what and allows you to allow or deny it and it has a <1% CPU usage.

Things I plan to add/change:

-A blacklist to automatically block items without notification and I whitelist to do the opposite.

-A tray icon with tray menus. (once latest beta becomes standard.)

-Watch for entries that are deleted or edited not just added.

-Check more areas for changes.

-abilty to close the program that put in the entry instead of just deleting the key (I will use the path of the entry to determine what spawned it.)

It is useful for protecting yourself from spyware and other nuisances that try to make themselves startup with windows.

It helped me today by stopping QuickTime from making it self start with windows and stopping spyware on numerous occasions.

To use it just add it to your startup.

it also comes with some scripts to test it out in the test folder.

Any comments, criticism, or suggestions are welcome.

Enjoy.

P.S. I used my first post and modified it a little so if you had some de ja vu don't be alarmed. :)

P.S.2 the first topic can be found here.

StartUpSentinel.zip

Edited by SolidSnake
HKTunes:Softpedia | GoogleCodeLyricToy:Softpedia | GoogleCodeRCTunes:Softpedia | GoogleCodeMichtaToolsProgrammer n. - An ingenious device that turns caffeine into code.

Updated. Fixed a bug that allowed more than one copy of StartUpSentinel\StartUpSentinelConfig to run at one time.

See post above to download.

HKTunes:Softpedia | GoogleCodeLyricToy:Softpedia | GoogleCodeRCTunes:Softpedia | GoogleCodeMichtaToolsProgrammer n. - An ingenious device that turns caffeine into code.

Nice script. So you are supposed to run StartUpSentinelConfig first before running StartUpSentinel?

Cheers.. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No. You don't need to run StartUpSentinelConfig first. It is used for turning logging on and off ,turning the splash screen on and off and adjusts splashscreen sleeptime and viewing the logfile. It will also be used for editing The BlackLists and WhiteLists once I get them up and running.

P.S. Thanks for the feedback.

Do you can to post the XP version for the AutoIt beta with dllstruct? ty.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I actually did not finish it yet but when it is finished I will post it here.Sorry. But for now the one here should work on XP it just won't watch services for changes.

P.S. Thanks for the feedback.

Just found a bug. For some reason it won't work on Windows 98. It should becuase the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\CurrentVersion\Run and other keys exist in 98 but it won't pop up a message when something new is added. It also does not seem to detect additions to the StartUp folder either. Weird. :)

I will look in to it further when I get the chance.

I don't have much time right now since I am visiting family in Vermont and we have been out sightseeing a lot. I noticed this bug because I loaded StartUpSentinel on a Windows 98 Laptop I brought along for the trip.

Edited by SolidSnake

Just found a bug. For some reason it won't work on Windows 98. It should becuase the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\CurrentVersion\Run and other keys exist in 98 but it won't pop up a message when something new is added. It also does not seem to detect additions to the StartUp folder either. Weird.  :evil:

I will look in to it further when I get the chance.

I don't have much time right now since I am visiting family in Vermont and we have been out sightseeing a lot. I noticed this bug because I loaded StartUpSentinel on a Windows 98 Laptop I brought along for the trip.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I take you are talking about Windows 98a,b,c,se,me version? or is it a specific version? Just curious.. :)

Cheer.. :D

I take you are talking about Windows 98a,b,c,se,me version? or is it a specific version? Just curious..  :)

Cheer..  :evil:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

According to the Microsoft System Information it says I am using Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222 A.

Thanks for the feedback.

-SolidSnake

• 4 months later...

This is a great idea. Does the first post have the most recent version?

EDIT: Tried it on XP and it blocked Quicktime from installing itself in the startup file. I like this. Thanks.

EDIT 2: Not so nice. How do I turn it off? The config program has error and will not run, but tuning off computer stopped program.

Edited by peter1234

This is a great idea. Does the first post have the most recent version?

EDIT: Tried it on XP and it blocked Quicktime from installing itself in the startup file. I like this. Thanks.

EDIT 2: Not so nice. How do I turn it off? The config program has error and will not run, but tuning off computer stopped program.

Thanks for the feedback. To turn it off you can go to task manager and end it process. (If it was compiled it should be StartUpSentinel.exe other wise it should be Autoit3.exe.)

P.S. I might do a complete rewrite of the program and make it much better by giving it a tray menu ,the abilty to set it to block or allow something automaticly and maybe some other features too.

Edited by SolidSnake

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the feedback. I still have plans for an updated version but have not had much coding time. maybe this summer when school is out.

Edit: Wow. school ends in two months. my first year of high school really flew by. :think: lol

Edited by SolidSnake

Thanks for the feedback. I still have plans for an updated version but have not had much coding time. maybe this summer when school is out.

Edit: Wow. school ends in two months. my first year of high school really flew by. :think: lol

Very interesting code, i will use it thank you.

Just a think

if you had some de ja déjà vu don't be alarmed

• 4 months later...

Hi, when I open it, nothing happens.

It shows up in the task manager but it doesn't do anything there is no kind of interface or anything.

How am I supposed to use this to prevent unwanted programs from starting when windows starts up?

I put it in the startup folder also, but it still doesn't do anything at all.

:P

Edited by Azu