Best practice??

G'day All

For MANY years I've been putting files into a directory (i.e. C:\ahc_technology) on customers computers which I know isn't best practice.

(it makes it easy to update my files without deleting their files and if one of my scripts appears in a virus check (autoIT) they can recogise it's one of mine :mellow:)

It's about time I cleaned my act up so I'd like opinions on what is best practice for:

Where do I install the programs to?

(e.g. C:\Program Files however, this is complicated now with 64 bit)

What directory should I use to store files I want to use later?

(E.g. %APPDATA% - for user files BUT what is good for machine/global files)

(This includes installers, data files, etc)

What registry section should I use for settings?

(e.g. "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\{Company/Name}\{program}")

What directory should I use for support files?

(E.g. 7z.dll)

Any other advice from those that have programs outin the "wild".

Also what are the ramifications for antivirus programs, security, etc!

Thanks for all your advice

John Morrison

EDIT: To clarify that it's for programs I've compiled and want to release into the wild so they exist "happily" with other programs.

Edited by storme

You can put this thread in the chat section :mellow:

If this is autoit related then i told you that... i put my scripts in a specific folder and i have subfolders with the topic of the script, one sub folder is named "TUTORIAL", another "GDI EXAMPLES" another "MESSAGES" and for specific proyects i put the name of the proyect "MY AUTOIT WINDOW INFO TOOL", "AUTODRUMS", "POT SLIDER", etc.

EDIT Some corrections

Edited by monoscout999

Just choose a place, and give folders descriptive names.

I have a MyCode Folder in MyDocuments Folder.

In it I have folders such as

CPP

C#

PHP

AU3

..UDFs

..Utils

..Scripts

..CurrentProjects

etc...

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

Much the same as JohnOne i have a folder on the desktop with subfolders inside like Projects then all the snippet stuff like Internet, Network, Hard Drives etc etc

And then all the bits of code sorted into those, if i have a program code plus installer, ini files etc all the bits i tend to put the whole thing into another folder so it keeps them together.

What ever you choose to do when you have got it sorted ... BACK IT UP :mellow:

A minimum of organization is essential, otherwise we can not find anything.

By security, choose a different partition than windows and remember to make regular backups.

Each folder, subfolder and script must be named in connection with its contents.

AutoIt 3.3.14.2 X86 - SciTE 3.6.0WIN 8.1 X64 - Other Example Scripts

"Program files" None make it there unless they have a good reason for being there. (or if they make it hard to keep them out of it, like Google stuff. :mellow: ) [35 folders only so far]

"PROG_XP" General applications/stuff. Nicely delimited with some alphabet bars. And folder icons to color things up a bit. :)

'DATA' Anything that generates plenty of general data gets redirected to a other partition. :)

'CLEANUP' When I hit the 32GB limit of that system partition ... I know I need to start cleaning things up. :)

"Straight_and_Crooked_Thinking" : A "classic guide to ferreting out untruths, half-truths, and other distortions of facts in political and social discussions."
"The Secrets of Quantum Physics" : New and excellent 2 part documentary on Quantum Physics by Jim Al-Khalili. (Dec 2014)

"Believing what you know ain't so" ...

Knock Knock ...

I keep data away from the C: drive, either using a different partition or drive.

I only have data on my C: when applications not written by me forces me to have it there.

Some guy's script + some other guy's script = my script!

Sorry Guys...major mis understanding....

I meant what is "Best Practice" for "programs" I've compiled and want to release into the wild to exist "happily" with other programs.

So that the programs can be recognized as legitimate....

Where do I install the programs to? (e.g. C:\Program Files)

What registry section should I use for settings? (e.g. "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\{Company/Name}\{program}")

What directory should I use to store files I want to use later?

(E.g. %APPDATA% - for user files BUT what is good for machine/global files)

What directory should I use for support files?

(E.g. 7z.dll)

Hope that clarifies things a little....Soryr again for the misunderstanding

John Morrison