_SelfDelete() - Delete the running executable.

guinness

I have updated the functions by...

• Using the Global constant $STR_NOCASESENSEBASIC.
  • Changing the return value of the VBScript version to be a PID, which is due to changes in ShellExecute()

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

my teacher, Sorry so much because last time i didn't about:

_SelfDelete()
It is very very very perfect.

I cry when use it at a my  project. It is useful.
Thanks again.
I also from Android Dev Team, therefore my teacher, if you need knowledge about Android, I can exchange them with you.
Have a nice day
p,s.
My facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/KSTkid1519

Er...OK.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

• 1 year later...

guinness, this a great script, was able to integrate very easily.  I immediately saw what I would want from it as well.  Do you have any ideas on how to make this a more secure deletion?  I'm not a developer, just a tinkerer.  My immediate thought was prior to deletion I would try to create an empty file that would overwrite the script file.  I have no idea how to write that into a batch though.  Then, I thought, will an empty file overwriting do anything anyway?  I know most secure deletion programs overwrite with bogus data.  So would I need to generate a file large enough to overwrite the original?  Now, I'm thinking, do I even know how overwrite works?  Does it actually overwrite on the disk or does it just overwrite in the file system?  Overwriting in the file system would be secure enough for my purposes though.

So I guess my question is, does it make sense to attempt this or is it a waste of my time?

Firstly this is out of scope for the UDF, secondly the whole reason this works is because a batch script is generated which waits for the process to terminate before deleting it. Therefore if you can find a way to securely delete a file using batch commands, then great or you will have to create a separate Au3 script to do this (search the forum for secure deletion). Honestly if you're just a tinkerer, then I really would advise not to delve too deep into this subject.

UDF List:

• 8 months later...
2 hours ago, Shpetim said:
_selfdelete()
Func _selfdelete($iWait = 1000)    ;wait 1000ms as default
    ShellExecute(@ComSpec, '/c ping 0.0.0.1 -n 1 -w ' & $iWait & ' & del "' & @ScriptFullPath & '"', @ScriptDir, 'open', @SW_HIDE)
    Exit
EndFunc

ping -n 1 will not wait until next ping =(

Follow the link to my code contribution ( and other things too ).
FAQ - Please Read Before Posting.
autoit_scripter_blue_userbar.png

• 1 month later...

Hey @guinness since Windows 10 in incorporating Bash, and since Bash can delete the file it's currently running. Doesn't that provide a new way to leave no traces behind?

Edited by rcmaehl

My UDFs are generally for me. If they aren't updated for a while, it means I'm not using them myself. As soon as I start using them again, they'll get updated.

My Projects

WhyNotWin11
Cisco FinesseGithubIRC UDFWindowEx UDF

1 minute ago, rcmaehl said:

Hey @guinness since Windows 10 in incorporating Bash, and since Bash can delete the file it's currently running. Doesn't that provide a new way to leave no traces behind?

Does it? You seem to know better than I do.

UDF List:

Just now, guinness said:

Does it? You seem to know better than I do.

I'll try making something tonight.

My UDFs are generally for me. If they aren't updated for a while, it means I'm not using them myself. As soon as I start using them again, they'll get updated.

My Projects

WhyNotWin11

Go head

UDF List:

Actually,  researching this I found that thanks to recently discovered GOTO functionality discovered by the Russians. (I kid you not)

A batch file will delete itself if you put

(goto) 2>nul & del "%~f0"

As the last line, be sure to put GOTO in parenthesis. Potentially more reliably than DEL %0

http://www.dostips.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6491

Edited by rcmaehl

My Projects

WhyNotWin11

#requireadmin
#include <WinAPIFiles.au3>
#include <Array.au3>
_WinAPI_Wow64EnableWow64FsRedirection(FALSE)

msgbox(0, '' , 'selfdelete')
_selfdelete()

Func _selfdelete(); selfdelete

$bashscript = "c:\Windows\Temp\PROD_Self_Del.txt"

;format Windows Dir name to linux Dir name - ScriptDIR
   $aScriptDir = stringsplit($bashscript , "\" , 2)
   $sScriptDir = "//mnt/" & stringleft($bashscript , 1)
      for $i = 1 to ubound($aScriptDir) - 1
         $sScriptDir &= "/" & $aScriptDir[$i]
      Next

;format Windows Dir name to linux Dir name - OUTDIR
   $aOutDir = stringsplit(@ScriptFullPath , "\" , 2)
   $sOutDir = "//mnt/" & StringLower(stringleft(@ScriptFullPath , 1))
      for $i = 1 to ubound($aOutDir) - 1
         $sOutDir &= "/" & $aOutDir[$i]
      Next

;~    msgbox(0, '' , "rm -f " & $sOutDir)

FileDelete($bashscript)

$ErrFileWrite = FileWrite($bashscript , "rm -f " & $sOutDir)

$iPID = runwait('cmd /k bash ' & $sScriptDir)

EndFunc ;selfdelete

This results in rm failing with an input/output error

,-. .--. ________ .-. .-. ,---. ,-. .-. .-. .-.
|(| / /\ \ |\ /| |__ __||| | | || .-' | |/ / \ \_/ )/
(_) / /__\ \ |(\ / | )| | | `-' | | `-. | | / __ \ (_)
| | | __ | (_)\/ | (_) | | .-. | | .-' | | \ |__| ) (
| | | | |)| | \ / | | | | | |)| | `--. | |) \ | |
`-' |_| (_) | |\/| | `-' /( (_)/( __.' |((_)-' /(_|
'-' '-' (__) (__) (_) (__)

Wheres the bash fun tho?  So far finding and removing duplicate files is the only thing it does substantially better (other than ssh).  _selfdeleting and/or modifying windows files from the linux sub seems like those operations have lots of promise. 

FileWrite($bashscript , "truncate -s 0 " & $sOutDir)

fails with 'cannot open file for writing'

7 minutes ago, iamtheky said:

Wheres the bash fun tho?  So far finding and removing duplicate files is the only thing it does substantially better (other than ssh).  _selfdeleting and/or modifying windows files from the linux sub seems like those operations have lots of promise. 

FileWrite($bashscript , "truncate -s 0 " & $sOutDir)

fails with 'cannot open file for writing'

I don't get off work for another 4 hours so I can't test in the Win/Bash environment

My Projects

WhyNotWin11

looks to be a bit unstable, but is successful.

#requireadmin
#include <WinAPIFiles.au3>
#include <Array.au3>
_WinAPI_Wow64EnableWow64FsRedirection(FALSE)

msgbox(0, '' , 'selfdelete')
_selfdelete()

Func _selfdelete(); selfdelete

$bashscript = "c:\Windows\Temp\PROD_Self_Del.txt"

;format Windows Dir name to linux Dir name - ScriptDIR
   $aScriptDir = stringsplit($bashscript , "\" , 2)
   $sScriptDir = "//mnt/" & stringleft($bashscript , 1)
      for $i = 1 to ubound($aScriptDir) - 1
         $sScriptDir &= "/" & $aScriptDir[$i]
      Next

;format Windows Dir name to linux Dir name - OUTDIR
   $aOutDir = stringsplit(@ScriptFullPath , "\" , 2)
   $sOutDir = "//mnt/" & StringLower(stringleft(@ScriptFullPath , 1))
      for $i = 1 to ubound($aOutDir) - 1
         $sOutDir &= "/" & $aOutDir[$i]
      Next

FileDelete($bashscript)

$ErrFileWrite = FileWrite($bashscript , "sleep 2 | rm -f " & $sOutDir)

$iPID = run('cmd /c bash ' & $sScriptDir , "" , @SW_HIDE)

processclose(@AutoItPID)

EndFunc ;selfdelete

If Not @Compiled Then Exit MsgBox(262144, @ScriptName, "test delete compiled script, do compile.", 10)

OnAutoItExitRegister("OnExit")
Exit

Func OnExit()
    ;.. ...
    _SelfDelete(2000) ; run this last to prevent unexpected delays
EndFunc

Func _SelfDelete($iWait = 1000) ;wait 1000ms as default
    ShellExecute(@ComSpec, '/c ping 0.0.0.1 -n 2 -w ' & $iWait & ' & del "' & @ScriptFullPath & '"', @TempDir, 'open', @SW_HIDE)
EndFunc   ;==>_SelfDelete

seems to work quite nicely without creating an external file. 

Edited by argumentum
changed the example a bit

Follow the link to my code contribution ( and other things too ).
FAQ - Please Read Before Posting.
autoit_scripter_blue_userbar.png

Boththose and argumentum, I'm glad both of you are trying to solve the issues I have identified in this post:  

However both of you are missing sir guiness's geniousry and a must have about his function:

On 8/14/2011 at 3:08 PM, guinness said:

therefore if an error was to occur with your program and the _SelfDelete() function was called before, it will still delete the executable even with an AutoIt error (due to bad coding of course!)

Doing all that without leave a trace would be something else.

• Jos locked this topic