Combination Search

Gam4x

Hi there I've coded a little bit with AutoIt but all in all I'm pretty new to it.

The reason I am here is I want to code a programm that checks every possible combination for a 4 letter string.

I want the programm to type in the combination, wait a few seconds and then search for an image I've saved. If it finds the given image on my screen it should write down the 4 letter combination it used last in a .txt list.

That is what I need, how can I make this work?

I appreciate any help I can get.

• Developers

I'm not sure what you mean by that?

It is not a brute force program to steal someones password... Is it that what you meant?

Funny you ask that question.

Anyway: Read the Forum rules linked at the top of the window first and then answer my question.

Jos :mellow:

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Well I did answer it but as I see you've worked that out...

I read the rules and there is nothing in there prohiiting my question. I am not trying to get past a captcha mechanism.

All I want is a list of combinations that aren't taken in a system I am checking.

• Developers

I read the rules and there is nothing in there prohiiting my question. I am not trying to get past a captcha mechanism.

All I want is a list of combinations that aren't taken in a system I am checking.

Too vague for me to agree this is legitimate.

You are trying some flavor of "brute force" here .... no?

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Developers

Not so sure this is stupid when we are trying to run a "clean" forum... agree?

Reread your own posts and try to read it in a way anybody would that reads it without any background on it.

So, to get help you will have to be clear.(and no PM support from me so no need to PM me)

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

No it is getting stupid in a way that I am trying to describe it as precisely as üossible so you can allow it where as I could just say what it is...

I wanted to explain what I am trying to do to you via PM but never mind.

What I am trying to do is code a program that gives me a list of all the available 4 letter .com domains out there. The way I was going to do this is using this website. The program is supposed to type in all the combinations one after the other and everytime it finds the image of the ".com is available!" message you get if the combination isn't taken yet it should write the combination in a list.

So how do I do this?

I don`t know if this is legal or not, but my opinion is that this should be ilegal... i have issues one time when i try to register my own domain, because some "mercenary" register a lot of domains and later he put the domains in sale.

Edited by monoscout999

Actually, if I remember the article correctly, they did make that illegal after the .com boom as many people were registering big company names before the companies could, then selling the domain to the companies for big $

My Android cat and mouse game
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.KaosVisions.WhiskersNSqueek

We're gonna need another Timmy!

how can it be ilegal to buy domains? And I never said I was gonna buy random domains...

And that's not really the point there is it? I just asked for help with coding a program...

No it is not only help with a code is help buying random domains... if you want a domain name then you go for it, i don`t see any other application for that.

The service offering in this forum is volunteer so dont think that you have rights...

You DONT HAVE MY HELP

You do know that every single four letter .com domain name has already been registered right? I'm not sure about .net or others though.

There are already a number of tools/websites online that help search for short domain names. Why are you trying to reinvent the wheel?

• Developers

Of course... is this legal?

No need to take this personal .... and we will try to garde the forum when it comes to illegal stuff :mellow:

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

I just checked there are no 4 letter brands available anymore... But I would like to do it with 5 letters then. It's should be fairly similar. So are there people that are willing to help me or did everybody take it personal? :mellow:

Edited by Gam4x

Let me explain to you a different reason why this is not feasible.

There are well over 69 million five letter .com domain names (assuming you include numbers and hyphens). Assuming that each request you made took 500ms to check if it was available, and you were only checking one domain at a time, it would take more than 400 days to find the status of every five character domain name.

Even if you were able to do multi-threaded checking (by launching multiple concurrent processes that each went and checked a single domain name), and even if you were able to speed up the request time a lot, you're still looking at multiple weeks of pulling down information. Another question is, how are you going to store this information? Do you know how to use SQLite? Are you going to store all of this in a text file?

Since you're asking for help here, I'm assuming you're not a very experienced programmer. Simply from the perspective of the scope of this project, this is not something you should attempt to endeavor. And in any case, I just gave you two links to web sites that already do exactly what you want for you! If all you want is a sweet five character domain name, do the legwork and find it!

If on the other hand, you're trying to just buy up short .com domains so that you can sell them in the future.. (which it sounds like is exactly what you want to do), then this is clearly the wrong place for that sort of question. Go find some black hat script kiddies and go to town.