Change desktop folder view to "Icons"

I've written a script to create a folder on the desktop and populate it with shortcuts, but the folder view is "Details". How do I change the view to "Icons"?

The only catch is that the users running this script will not have admin access, so if my only option is a registry change, it has to work for all users.

Thanks.

Edited by VelvetElvis

I've written a script to create a folder on the desktop and populate it with shortcuts, but the folder view is "Details". How do I change the view to "Icons"?

The only catch is that the users running this script will not have admin access, so if my only option is a registry change, it has to work for all users.

Thanks.

Can anyone help?

Here's what I have using a bunch of Send's. It's ugly. I'd prefer not to have the users see this. I just need to change the folder view to "Icons".

I've searched the forum, but not joy. :mellow:

; Set desktop folder view from "details" to "icons"
Send("!V")
Send("{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}") 
Sleep(1000)
Send("{ENTER}")
Send("!F")
Send("C")
Exit

Have a look at _GUICtrlListView_SetView() in the help file.

Dating a girl is just like writing software. Everything's going to work just fine in the testing lab (dating), but as soon as you have contract with a customer (marriage), then your program (life) is going to be facing new situations you never expected. You'll be forced to patch the code (admit you're wrong) and then the code (wife) will just end up all bloated and unmaintainable in the end.

Have a look at _GUICtrlListView_SetView() in the help file.

Thank you so much.

But I'm having trouble getting the handle of the desktop folder that I created. Here's what I have:

#Include <GuiListView.au3>

$handle = ControlGetHandle("[CLASS:SysListView32; INSTANCE:1]", "FolderView", "1")
_GUICtrlListView_SetView($handle, 3)

This doesn't work. :mellow:

I used the Window Info tool to get the control info for the folder (which is closed), but I'm either not using the right info, or I've got the wrong function to get that handle.

Can you (or anyone) give me a nudge in the right direction? I've attached the Window Info for the folder.

Again, thanks for the help.

post-40658-0-19738100-1313690078_thumb.j

Look at the parms for ControlGetHandle () in the help file again.

ControlGetHandle ( "title", "text", controlID )

You have the control ID in the Title parameter. Also, this will only work if the window is open.

Edit: If you run this with the "Program Manager" as the title you're going to change all the icons on your desktop. The window has to be open and you have to use the title of the window.

Edited by LurchMan

Dating a girl is just like writing software. Everything's going to work just fine in the testing lab (dating), but as soon as you have contract with a customer (marriage), then your program (life) is going to be facing new situations you never expected. You'll be forced to patch the code (admit you're wrong) and then the code (wife) will just end up all bloated and unmaintainable in the end.

Thanks.

Hi VelvetElvis, LurchMan

If a permanent solution is required, this code will change the view of an explorer window

and store the change in the user profile. (based on code by Siao)

It uses undocumented shell constants

I've added the constants for Vista/7

Tested on XP and Vista x86

#include <WindowsConstants.au3>

;; reverse-engineered command codes for SHELLDLL_DefView (Paul DiLascia, MSDN Magazine — March 2004)
;http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc164009.aspx
;W2K/XP
Global Const $ODM_VIEW_ICONS = 0x7029
Global Const $ODM_VIEW_LIST = 0x702b
Global Const $ODM_VIEW_DETAIL = 0x702c
Global Const $ODM_VIEW_THUMBS = 0x702d
Global Const $ODM_VIEW_TILES = 0x702e

;Vista/Win 7
Global Const $FVM_EXTRALARGE = 0x704d
Global Const $FVM_TILES = 0x704c
Global Const $FVM_MEDIUMICON = 0x704e
Global Const $FVM_LARGE = 0x704f
Global Const $FVM_SMALL = 0x7050
Global Const $FVM_LIST = 0x7051
Global Const $FVM_DETAILS = 0x704b
Global Const $FVM_CONTENT = 0x7052 ;Win 7

Global $sFolderName = "Desktop Folder Shortcut Name"
_ExplorerSetView($sFolderName, $FVM_MEDIUMICON, 1) ;explorer is run minimized, then closed
_ExplorerSetView($sFolderName, $FVM_MEDIUMICON, 0) ;explorer is run normally
Exit

Func _ExplorerSetView($ExpFolder, $iView = 0, $iMode = 0)
    ;$ExpFolder: use Desktop folder name or a handle to an Explorer window
    ;$iView: Shell view constant
    ;$iMode = 0: explorer window not closed
    ;$iMode = 1: $ExpFolder = Desktop folder name: explorer window opened minimized and closed on return
    ;$iMode = 1: $ExpFolder = handle to an Explorer window: explorer window closed on return
    ;rover 2k11
    If IsHWnd($ExpFolder) = 0 Then
        Local $sDesktopFolder = @DesktopDir & "\" & $ExpFolder
        If FileExists($sDesktopFolder) = 0 Then Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
        If $iView <= 0 Then Return SetError(2, 0, 0)
        Local $iOpt = Opt("WinTitleMatchMode", 2) ;for explorer folders with fullpath or folder name only
        Local $sWin = "[TITLE:" & $ExpFolder & "; REGEXPCLASS:(Explore|Cabinet)WClass]"
        If $iMode Then
            ShellExecute($sDesktopFolder, "", "", "open", @SW_MINIMIZE)
        Else
            ShellExecute($sDesktopFolder, "", "", "open")
        EndIf
        $ExpFolder = WinWait($sWin, "", 5)
        Opt("WinTitleMatchMode", $iOpt)
        If IsHWnd($ExpFolder) = 0 Then Return SetError(3, 0, 0)
    EndIf

Local $hSHELLDLL_DefView = ControlGetHandle($ExpFolder, "", "[CLASS:SHELLDLL_DefView; INSTANCE:1]")
    If IsHWnd($hSHELLDLL_DefView) = 0 Then
        If $iMode Then WinClose($ExpFolder)
        Return SetError(4, 0, 0)
    EndIf
    DllCall("user32.dll", "lresult", "SendMessageW", "hwnd", $hSHELLDLL_DefView, _
            "uint", $WM_COMMAND, "wparam", $iView, "lparam", 0)
    If @error Then
        Return SetError(5, 0, 0)
    EndIf
    Return 1
EndFunc   ;==>_ExplorerSetView

I see fascists...

Wow, this turned out to be way more complicated than I expected.

@LurchMan;

I thought my line was contrary to the help, but I was going by this example in the help:

$handle = ControlGetHandle("[CLASS:Notepad]", "", "Edit1")

where Class was in the first parameter.

I tried _GUICtrlListView_SetView() as you advised in your first reply, with the folder open, it didn't work with this code:

$handle = WinGetHandle("Hospital Internet Links")
_GUICtrlListView_SetView($handle, 1)

@rover;

First, I didn't understand why the section "Vista/Win 7" had variables that the "W2K/XP" section didn't. At first, I thought I could delete the "Vista/Win/7" section, as I'm using XP, but of course that didn't fly.

In any event, I tried your code in XP as submitted, just changing the folder name parameter. It didn't work. Worse, I didn't understand it (my limitation). The idea of using 60 lines of code to accomplish something that one would think trivial blew me away too. :mellow:

Thank you both very much for your help with this, but I think I'll have to admit defeat and stick with my handful of Send commands.

Wow, this turned out to be way more complicated than I expected.

@LurchMan;

I thought my line was contrary to the help, but I was going by this example in the help:

I tried _GUICtrlListView_SetView() as you advised in your first reply, with the folder open, it didn't work with this code:

@rover;

First, I didn't understand why the section "Vista/Win 7" had variables that the "W2K/XP" section didn't. At first, I thought I could delete the "Vista/Win/7" section, as I'm using XP, but of course that didn't fly.

In any event, I tried your code in XP as submitted, just changing the folder name parameter. It didn't work. Worse, I didn't understand it (my limitation). The idea of using 60 lines of code to accomplish something that one would think trivial blew me away too. :mellow:

Thank you both very much for your help with this, but I think I'll have to admit defeat and stick with my handful of Send commands.

Hi

Firstly, what version of AutoIt are you using?

In the SciTE editor, 'Tools' menu, 'Compile', first tab 'AutoIt version to use:'

This example was coded with production version 3.3.6.1 and tested in XP Pro SP3 x86/Vista Ultimate x86

There could/will be issues if you are using an older version e.g. a pre-unicode version

This code uses the unicode version of sendmessage etc.

Are you using the SciTE editor that comes with AutoIt, and did you download the full SciTE package?

The example uses a Vista/Win 7 constant - $FVM_MEDIUMICON

If using XP use - $ODM_VIEW_ICONS

Vista/Win 7 have more options for view than previous OS's like XP

so just use the XP options and remove all of the Vista/Win 7 global constants

Furthermore, I showed two example lines without commenting out one of them

and they were both for Vista/Win 7.

Run this example, it has a consolewrite and a message box

To preclude any missing space in the shortcut folder name, copy and paste the shortcut name into your script.

Right click the desktop folder shortcut, select 'Rename'

Right click, select 'Copy'

Right click in the SciTE editor in your script, paste and overwrite the shortcut name in $sFolderName

Global $sFolderName = "Desktop Folder Shortcut Name"

The script will launch your desktop folder.

Did the folder of shortcuts open up in explorer?

What is the return value and error code value in the message box?

If the folder did not open up then the shortcut name is wrong or there is a problem with desktop location or the shellexecute line.

Add error checking to any code and it can easily increase by 50%

look at the insides of some of the UDF include functions.

The few lines of code you use are the tip of an iceberg.

Massive amounts of code underlie everything you do in AutoIt.

I will check back here later today,

do try to get this working, perhaps someone else can help.

;; reverse-engineered command codes for SHELLDLL_DefView (Paul DiLascia, MSDN Magazine — March 2004)
;http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc164009.aspx
;W2K/XP
Global Const $ODM_VIEW_ICONS = 0x7029
Global Const $ODM_VIEW_LIST = 0x702b
Global Const $ODM_VIEW_DETAIL = 0x702c
Global Const $ODM_VIEW_THUMBS = 0x702d
Global Const $ODM_VIEW_TILES = 0x702e

Global $sFolderName = "Desktop Folder Shortcut Name" ; do not add path here, just name
Global $iRet = _ExplorerSetView($sFolderName, $ODM_VIEW_ICONS, 0) ;explorer is run normally
MsgBox(4096, "_ExplorerSetView", "Return: " & $iRet & @CRLF & "Error: " & @error)
ConsoleWrite(@error & @CRLF)
Exit

Func _ExplorerSetView($ExpFolder, $iView = 0, $iMode = 0)
    ;$ExpFolder: use Desktop folder name or a handle to an Explorer window
    ;$iView: Shell view constant
    ;$iMode = 0: explorer window not closed
    ;$iMode = 1: $ExpFolder = Desktop folder name: explorer window opened minimized and closed on return
    ;$iMode = 1: $ExpFolder = handle to an Explorer window: explorer window closed on return
    ;rover 2k11
    Local Const $_WM_COMMAND = 0x0111
    If IsHWnd($ExpFolder) = 0 Then
        Local $sDesktopFolder = @DesktopDir & "\" & $ExpFolder
        If FileExists($sDesktopFolder) = 0 Then Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
        If $iView <= 0 Then Return SetError(2, 0, 0)
        Local $iOpt = Opt("WinTitleMatchMode", 2) ;for explorer folders with fullpath or folder name only
        Local $sWin = "[TITLE:" & $ExpFolder & "; REGEXPCLASS:(Explore|Cabinet)WClass]"
        If $iMode Then
        Else
            ShellExecute($sDesktopFolder, "", "", "open")
        EndIf
        $ExpFolder = WinWait($sWin, "", 5)
        Opt("WinTitleMatchMode", $iOpt)
        If IsHWnd($ExpFolder) = 0 Then Return SetError(3, 0, 0)
    EndIf

Local $hSHELLDLL_DefView = ControlGetHandle($ExpFolder, "", "[CLASS:SHELLDLL_DefView; INSTANCE:1]")
    If IsHWnd($hSHELLDLL_DefView) = 0 Then
        Return SetError(4, 0, 0)
    EndIf
    DllCall("user32.dll", "lresult", "SendMessageW", "hwnd", $hSHELLDLL_DefView, _
            "uint", $_WM_COMMAND, "wparam", $iView, "lparam", 0)
    If @error Then
        Return SetError(5, 0, 0)
    EndIf
    Return 1
EndFunc   ;==>_ExplorerSetView

I see fascists...

I'm using the latest version of both AutoIt and the full SciTE install.

Tried your second code example, and it worked fine. Re-tried the first one, removing the Vista constants, and again no joy.

I noticed that this code opens the folder and leaves it open, which I didn't want. I temporarily worked around it:

If $iMode Then
        Else
        EndIf

by changing the Else above to @SW_MINIMIZE just to see if it works as I wanted. I will play with this code, for the learning experience.

Massive amounts of code underlie everything you do in AutoIt.

That's why I was hoping to find a simple function that would keep those massive amounts of code in the background :mellow:

I still think there's a quick and dirty way of doing this via the registry, but I couldn't figure it out.

Thank you Rover (and LurchMan too) for your time and patience. :)

Velvet Elvis

I have to run out the door soon, so I'll make this quick.

Good to hear you have it working.

The function already supports running the explorer window minimized then closing it,

so use it with mode option 1 instead of 0

See the comment line in the function _ExplorerSetView()

$iMode = 1: $ExpFolder = Desktop folder name: explorer window opened minimized and closed on return
Global $iRet = _ExplorerSetView($sFolderName, $ODM_VIEW_ICONS, 1) ;explorer window opened minimized and closed on return

I see fascists...

@LurchMan;

VelvetElvis -

I'll try and explain this again for reference...Open the Folder, use ControlGetHandle to get the handle of the control not the window. Telling it to change the display of the window isn't going to work. Try this:

#include <guilistview.au3>
Run ("explorer.exe " & "c:\path\to\folder") ;Open Folder
$handle = ControlGetHandle ("Hospital Internet Links", "", "[CLASS:SysListView32; INSTANCE:1]") ;Get Handle
_GUICtrlListView_SetView($handle, 1) ;Make Changes
WinClose("Hospital Internet Links");Close Window
Edited by LurchMan

Hi LurchMan;

It didn't work. Here's what I have:

#include <guilistview.au3>
Run ("explorer.exe " & @DesktopDir & "\Hospital Internet Links\") ;Open Folder
$handle = ControlGetHandle ("Hospital Internet Links", "", "[CLASS:SysListView32; INSTANCE:1]") ;Get Handle

; Throws up error on this line
If @error Then MsgBox(0, "", "ERROR")

_GUICtrlListView_SetView($handle, 1) ;Make Changes
WinClose("Hospital Internet Links");Close Window

It opens the folder, but then nothing happens. I put the @Error check in, and it triggered the MsgBox.

The WinClose() didn't happen either. :mellow: