Output not showing up in GUI

thawee

Func Hello()
If $day >1 then $type = "s"
     $type = " Day" & $type & " "
     $Output = $day & $type &  $hour & ":" & $min &":"& $sec ;& '.'& $msec
     GUICtrlSetData ($UpTime,"Uptime:  " & $Output)
     ConsoleWrite($Output)
Else
     $Output = $hour & ":" & $min &":"& $sec ;& '.'& $msec
     GUICtrlSetData ($UpTime, $Output)
Endif
Endfunc

There is a bit more to this code, but this seemed relevant.

essentially I am calling the function hello() that calculates my system uptime. The problem I am having is if i do the following outside my function.

GuictrlSetData("Uptime: " & Hello()) The information works correctly because I set up the function to pass the variable.

however, I was thinking that I wanted the GuiCtrlSetData to up date inside of the function, but when I try to assign use GUICtrlSetData ($UpTime, $Output) my data comes up blank.

I have checked the $Output before, and after the function and the output is fine, but every time I changed the GUICtrlSetData ($UpTime, Hello()) to read the data it comes back good.

Any Ideas?

Its almost like I am not allow to update my label more than once!?

Thawee

Since I didn't want to create a GUI here is a stand alone that returns current time and $days = 3

$hour = @HOUR
$min = @MIN
$sec = @SEC
$day = 3
MsgBox(0, "Test", Hello())
Func Hello()
If $day > 1 Then
  $Output = "Uptime:  " & $day & " Days  " & $hour & ":" & $min &":"& $sec ;& '.'& $msec
Else
  $Output ="Uptime:  " & $hour & ":" & $min &":"& $sec ;& '.'& $msec
EndIf
;~  GUICtrlSetData($UpTime, $Output)
Return($Output)
Endfunc
Edited by rogue5099

• Moderators

thawee,

Without seeing the rest of the code it is difficult to be sure, I would hazard a guess that $UpTime is an undeclared Local variable within your function and so it does not know what control to update. If the update works when you return the value and not when you do it in the function, then this seems a likely cause. :)

What scope do you have set for $UpTime? Is is first declared within another function? If so then you will either need to pass it to the function as a parameter or declare it as Global in scope - I would recommend the former. :mellow:

Do you use Au3Check? It is very helpful in finding scope mismatches like this. Or you can use Opt("MustDeclareVars", 1) to catch the error. Please ask if anything is unclear.

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

As it turns out my Menu Declaration was the same as my Variable I used to calculate my system up time which caused my variable to become blank.

I was wondering how do i Update my GUI label say every Second without causing a flicker effect?

I am currently using GUICtrlSetData

Thanks

Thawee

Edited by thawee

Simple, do a check of whether the data has changed to reduce flickering e.g.

Global $iControlID, $sRead, $sReadPrevious

$iControlID = GUICtrlCreateLabel( ..., ... )

$sRead = GUICtrlRead($iControlID)
If $sRead <> $sReadPrevious Then ; Store the label data in a variable to check at a later stage.
$sReadPrevious = $sRead
GUICtrlSetData($iControlID, $sRead)
EndIf
Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Without seeing any code it really is hard to guess why that is.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

$M_UpTime = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Up Time: ", 400, 16, 209, 21)
GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 11, 400, 2, "Gentium Basic")

While 1 ; Main Loop
     $nMsg = GUIGetMsg()
     If $MenuUpdateCntr >= 400 Then
          $ChkUptime = GUICtrlRead($M_UpTime)

If $ChkUptime <> $Output Then
              _PCUptime()
          EndIf
          $MenuUpdateCntr = 0
    EndIf
  Switch $nMsg
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
        Exit
   EndSwitch
 $MenuUpdateCntr = $MenuUpdateCntr + 1
WEnd

I use the GUICtrlSetData to update my labels.

Is the label the best way to put text on a GUI Window?

Thawee

Edited by thawee

_GDIPlus_*() in the Help file. Also for the future & and to be courtesy too, it helps to post workable/runnable code because the example above isn't really giving the whole picture.

One bit of advice you can use $MenuUpdateCntr += 1 to increment by 1.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

I apologize, I wasn't trying to be un-courteous.

The amount of code to produce the loop segment posted about is quite large to me, so I thought it would be appropriate to reduce it down to what was needed.

I will attempt to post working code in the future.

Thanks

Thawee

#include <GuiConstantsEx.au3>
#include <GDIPlus.au3>

Opt('MustDeclareVars', 1)

_Main()

Func _Main()
Local $hGUI, $hGraphic

; Create GUI
$hGUI = GUICreate("GDI+", 400, 300)
GUISetState()

; Draw a string
_GDIPlus_Startup ()
$hGraphic = _GDIPlus_GraphicsCreateFromHWND ($hGUI)
;_GDIPlus_GraphicsDrawString ($hGraphic, "Hello world", 140, 110) Used to be active but moved inside loop

; Loop until user exits
Do
_GDIPlus_GraphicsDrawString ($hGraphic, "Hello world", 140, 110) ;moved this from above the loop.
Until GUIGetMsg() = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE

; Clean up resources
_GDIPlus_GraphicsDispose ($hGraphic)
_GDIPlus_Shutdown ()

EndFunc   ;==>_Main

I was looking at GDIPlus, and I tried putting it into my script instead of the GUICtrlSetData and Label format.

When I ran this script with the _GDIPlus_GraphicsDrawString ($hGraphic, "Hello world", 140, 110) Inside the loop it produced a Text That was really bolded.

I am trying desprately to figure out how to just simply update any text on a gui window without flicker or weird side effects?

Sorry for my lack of understand.

I have read over the Gdi plus elements, and some of it is very confusing to me.

Is there a simple way to refresh gui text data without causing odd side effects..Like the text bolding or flickering?

Maybe I am doing it wrong?

Thanks

Thawee

Edited by thawee

This doesn't flicker on Windows 7 x64.

#AutoIt3Wrapper_Au3Check_Parameters=-d -w 1 -w 2 -w 3 -w 4 -w 5 -w 6 -w 7
#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>

_Main()

Func _Main()
Local $hGUI, $iLabel, $iTimer, $sReadPrevious, $sText

$hGUI = GUICreate("Example not with GDI+", 400, 300)
$iLabel = GUICtrlCreateLabel("", 10, 10, 380, 280)
GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, 0x000)
GUICtrlSetColor(-1, 0xFFFFFF)
GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 20)
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW, $hGUI)

$iTimer = TimerInit()
While 1
$sText = _RandomText(50)
If $sText <> $sReadPrevious And TimerDiff($iTimer) > 150 Then
$iTimer = TimerInit()
$sReadPrevious = $sText
GUICtrlSetData($iLabel, $sText)
EndIf

Switch GUIGetMsg()
Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
Exit
EndSwitch
WEnd
EndFunc ;==>_Main

Func _RandomText($iLength = 7)
Local $sData = "", $sRandom
For $A = 1 To $iLength
$sRandom = Random(55, 116, 1)
$sData &= Chr($sRandom + 6 * ($sRandom > 90) - 7 * ($sRandom < 65))
Next
Return $sData
EndFunc ;==>_RandomText

UDF List:

_Main()

Func _Main()
Local $hGUI, $iLabel, $iTimer, $sReadPrevious, $sText

;GUICtrlSetBkColor(-1, 0x000)
;GUICtrlSetColor(-1, 0xFFFFFF)
;GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 20)

$iTimer = TimerInit()
While 1
$sText = _RandomText(50)
$iTimer = TimerInit()
$sReadPrevious = $sText
GUICtrlSetData($iLabel,"This is a test of the flicker effect based on the size of the sentence. : " & $sText)
EndIf

Switch GUIGetMsg()
Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
Exit
EndSwitch
WEnd
EndFunc ;==>_Main

For $A = 1 To $iLength
$sData = Chr($sRandom + 6 * ($sRandom > 90) - 7 * ($sRandom < 65)) & Chr($sRandom + 6 * ($sRandom > 90) - 7 * ($sRandom < 65))
Next
Return $sData
EndFunc

Here is the modified code that produces a flicker effect for me.

Thanks for your help. I have realized that the flicker effect gets worse the long the sentence is.

I was thinking of breaking up the 2 segments, so that I would only be updating a small segment Maybe that would clean up most if not all of the flicker effect.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Thawee

Edited by thawee

Yes, splitting up in 2 pieces would reduce the flickering dramatically because why printing static labels continuously?

_Main()

Func _Main()
    Local $hGUI, $iLabel, $iTimer, $sReadPrevious, $sText, $iLabel_Text

$iLabel = GUICtrlCreateLabel("This is a test of the flicker effect based on the size of the sentence. : ", 10, 10, 380, 280)
    $iLabel_Text = GUICtrlCreateLabel("AA", 330, 10, 30, 280)
    ;GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 20)

$iTimer = TimerInit()
    While 1
        $sText = _RandomText(50)
        If $sText <> $sReadPrevious And TimerDiff($iTimer) > 250 Then
            $iTimer = TimerInit()
            $sReadPrevious = $sText
            GUICtrlSetData($iLabel_Text, $sText)
            $iTimer = TimerInit()
        EndIf

Switch GUIGetMsg()
            Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
                Exit
        EndSwitch
    WEnd
EndFunc   ;==>_Main

For $A = 1 To $iLength
        $sData = Chr($sRandom + 6 * ($sRandom > 90) - 7 * ($sRandom < 65)) & Chr($sRandom + 6 * ($sRandom > 90) - 7 * ($sRandom < 65))
    Next
    Return $sData
EndFunc   ;==>_RandomText

Br,

UEZ

Edited by UEZ

Please don't send me any personal message and ask for support! I will not reply!

Selection of finest graphical examples at Codepen.io

The own fart smells best!
Her 'sikim hıyar' diyene bir avuç tuz alıp koşma!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯  ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ૐ

I have split up the static text vs the changing text, and found that it does reduce some of the flicker.

Is there any way to update a label with the core element for GuiSetData outside of the main loop? because I have noticed even if its in the main loop even if its not being updated at the moment it still causes a flicker effect.

Maybe Making the whole program work with ;Opt("GUIOnEventMode",1) or something?

GUICtrlSetData($iLabel_Text, $sText) ; Moved outside the main loop for example purposes.
While 1
$sText = _RandomText(50)
$iTimer = TimerInit()
$sReadPrevious = $sText
EndIf

Even if i put a control statement to keep from updating the Label continuously, it still flickers as if its being updated every second.

As demonstrated here in the code below.

_Main()

Func _Main()
Local $hGUI, $iLabel, $sReadPrevious, $sText,$MenuUpdateCntr ;$iTimer,

;GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 20)

$iTimer = TimerInit()

While 1
$sText = _RandomText(50)
If $MenuUpdateCntr >= 400 Then
$iTimer = TimerInit()
$sReadPrevious = $sText
GUICtrlSetData($iLabel,"This is a test of the flicker effect based on the size of the sentance. : " & $sText)
$MenuUpdateCntr = 0
EndIf

;If $sText <> $sReadPrevious And TimerDiff($iTimer) > 150 Then

;EndIf

Switch GUIGetMsg()
Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
Exit
EndSwitch
$MenuUpdateCntr = $MenuUpdateCntr + 1
WEnd
EndFunc ;==>_Main

For $A = 1 To $iLength
$sData = " TEXT TEXT" ;Chr($sRandom + 6 * ($sRandom > 90) - 7 * ($sRandom < 65)) & Chr($sRandom + 6 * ($sRandom > 90) - 7 * ($sRandom < 65))
Next
Return $sData
EndFunc

Is it possible this flickering is a limitation of autoit?

Thanks for continuing to help me out I appreciate it.

Thawee

Edited by thawee

Well, I forgotten the $iTimer = TimerInit() in the while loop (updated in my previous post). Beside that I cannot see any flickering in the GUI!

Br,

UEZ

Please don't send me any personal message and ask for support! I will not reply!

Selection of finest graphical examples at Codepen.io

The own fart smells best!
Her 'sikim hıyar' diyene bir avuç tuz alıp koşma!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯  ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ૐ

Neither can I. :graduated:

UDF List: