Why should I use AutoIt?

Hello, I downloaded AutoIt interpreter, and I like it, but I am wondering how is it better then any other programming/scripting language out there, for example Python or Ruby. Since AutoIt scripts may be compiled, I would assume it is faster then, say, standard Python, but again there is things like Psyco, that can improve the speed of Python programs drastically.

So, my question is, how is AutoIt better then the other scripting languages? Easier to write, faster, smaller code, or something else?

AutoIt isn't particularly fast as far as programming languages go. It is more geared towards Windows automation. Having said that, there are many features that allow you to do practically anything you might want to do. If you are learning programming for the first time, you could make easily make the wrong choice, which might be off putting. AutoIt is pretty easy to start using, and I think you will find that that helps to build confidence with what you can quickly achieve.

Edited by czardas

Since AutoIt scripts may be compiled, I would assume it is faster then, say, standard Python, but again there is things like Psyco, that can improve the speed of Python programs drastically.

Compilation just* "glues" a script to the interpreter, there is no great speed difference.

So, my question is, how is AutoIt better then the other scripting languages? Easier to write, faster, smaller code, or something else?

On a scale where 0 is the worst and 10 best, the helpfile and forums adds 42 points :graduated:

Another advantage is that AutoIt is completely stand-alone (no pesky c++ runtimes or other annoyances to install, runs off the bat on a new Windows isntallation), and every compiled script contains the full interpreter. If you have a project using 20 scripts, you could just compile one to .exe and the others to .a3x, and have the .exe run them. Saves quite a bit of space.

*Well...

Edited by AdmiralAlkex

Some of these points may already have been mentioned:

• Standalone
  • Syntax and "how easy is it to read" is a matter of opinion. Python also makes things easy, but they are very different languages so I wouldn't compare them based on that.
  • Automation. If you want to automate Windows then AutoIt is THE language. Python (due to the fact it's designed to run on other systems) won't compete at that (it is possible though, and I've seen people try it).
  • GUI's in AutoIt are probably the easiest I know of in code.

However

• AutoIt only runs on windows.
  • Python and ruby make it much easier to work with certain types of data, for example arrays.

Of course it depends entirely on what you need out of a "scripting language": its a very broad area. I use all three that you have mentioned from time to time. It tends to be python for maths, AutoIt for automation and making programs with GUIs quickly.

From a relative novices point of view with Autoit.

I came from the CMD coding side wanting to make better windows scripts etc and i am constantly amazed at the level of things that can be made with Autoit, and im very pleased with the programs i have managed to sort out with the help of others on here.

That's the key here you are given the tools but the help is second to none, as long as you "try" they will always help.

Ive never regretted starting with Autoit

I find this question almost insulting, but I can't quite put my finger on why.

You come to the main Autoit forum and ask it's users to tell you why you should do something, like you want us to convince you or something. I would take less offense if you asked "What's some of the benefits of the Autoit code?" or "What is Autoit optimized for?" or "What do you use Autoit to do vs other languages?" Each of those questions permits a discussion and could turn into an interesting topic. When I read this threads title I had to do a double take...

After reading your OP I see you have valid questions, but it just totally comes off wrong for me.

I personally use Autoit because it has a lot of functions that do a lot of things very easily. I found Autoit while looking for a way to automate mouse clicks, and this language has very simple and user friendly MouseClick function. More digging and I found tons of very straightforward functions of equal merit.