Question about macros.

So I initially thought that all macros were predefined, and filled with whatever values they needed, and if they weren't being used they were empty.

ie: If you tried to access @HotKeyPressed in a non-hotkey called function, it would just return empty, same for @GUI_CtrlID. But it appears I'm wrong.

For a GUI program I've been working on, I'd hoped to create a generic function that would handle a lot of the little bits and pieces I needed to accomplish. I had assigned HotKeys, and GuiEvents to this function, and was getting odd results at first, but now I think I've figured it out. I guess that until a macro would have to be created, it doesn't exist at all, is that right? And it's value will stay the same until it needs to be changed.

ie: If I try to access @HotKeyPressed before I call a HotKey function, the macro is undefined. If I try to access it after I call a HotKey function, the value is whatever it was last set as. It's basically a glorified global variable (is there any difference?).

Anyway, what I'm really looking for is code like the following to work (it's a silly example, but for the sake of brevity I'm not going to post a whole bunch of useful code).

#include <GuiConstants.au3>
Opt('GuiOnEventMode', 1)

HotKeySet('^y', 'GenericFunction')

GuiCreate('GUI')
GuiSetOnEvent($GUI_EVENT_CLOSE, 'GenericFunction')

$bt = GuiCtrlCreateButton('Click', 10, 10, 100, 100)
GuiCtrlSetOnEvent(-1, 'GenericFunction')

GuiSetState()

While 1
    Sleep(100)
WEnd

Func GenericFunction($param = '')
    If @GUI_CtrlID = $bt Then
        MsgBox(0, 'GenFunc', 'AWESOME!')
    ElseIf @HotKeyPressed = '^y' Then
        Exit
    ElseIf @GUI_CtrlID = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE Then
        GuiSetState(@SW_MINIMIZE)
    ElseIf $param <> '' Then
        MsgBox(0, 'Param:', $param)
    EndIf
EndFunc

This script will error unless you do each of the following in order:

1. Click the button

2. Press Ctrl+Y (which will not activate the Hotkey part of the function, because @GUI_CtrlID is still = $bt)

3. Click the [x] on the GUI

Unless the function is called alone, $param is always undefined even though it's an optional parameter.

Think there's any chance that a function like the above could work without erroring? I thought the macros would work like @error. Always available, just empty if not specifically set, and the $param should be coming across as an empty string if it's not set when the function is called, shouldn't it?

I just moved a few things around and works fine, but nice ..um bug?

@GUI_CtrlID doesn't have a value unless something is pressed, clicked, or other type of event. So when you check the state of it before you do one of those, well... error.

I think @GUI_CtrlID should be set to null or 0 with the creation of the gui. That would solve it.

You can't set it to a value easily, so I normally only have a function that has that macro called on an event, like GuiCtrlSetOnEvent()

Anyway this seems to work...

#include <GuiConstants.au3>
Opt('GuiOnEventMode', 1)

HotKeySet('^y', 'GenericFunction')

GuiCreate('GUI')
GuiSetOnEvent($GUI_EVENT_CLOSE, 'GenericFunction')

$bt = GuiCtrlCreateButton('Click', 10, 10, 100, 100)
GuiCtrlSetOnEvent(-1, 'GenericFunction')

GuiSetState()

While 1
    Sleep(100)
WEnd

Func GenericFunction($param = '')
    If @HotKeyPressed = '^y' Then
        Exit
    elseIf $bt=@GUI_CtrlID Then
        MsgBox(0, 'GenFunc', 'AWESOME!')
    ElseIf @GUI_CtrlID = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE Then
        GuiSetState(@SW_MINIMIZE)
    ElseIf $param <> '' Then
        MsgBox(0, 'Param:', $param)
    EndIf
EndFunc
Edited by scriptkitty

AutoIt3, the MACGYVER Pocket Knife for computers.

Those macros are valid only in the function related. in your case you handle the 2 events in one unique function so you will not be able to know in which context your function has been called.

I think you need 2 differents functions using common functions if your logic is OK with. :)

When I run your test I get the following error in both the production AutoIT and beta56:

C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\Examples\JeffTests\test of hotkeys+functions.au3(20,8) : ERROR: undefined macro.

If @HotKeyPressed

~~~~~~~^

C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\Examples\JeffTests\test of hotkeys+functions.au3 - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

Is this expected, or am I missing something (again...)
...by the way, it's pronounced: "JIF"... Bob Berry --- inventor of the GIF format

When I run your test I get the following error in both the production AutoIT and beta56:

Is this expected, or am I missing something (again...)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am not sure where you get this error can you post a script which reproduce it? :)

Thanks

I can't seem to get the error with my code:

My code just puts the test for hotkey first, and since you exit when finding it, you don't get to the @GUI_CtrlID check. If you got to the function by the event, then the event gave a value to @GUI_CtrlID. :)

I personally would have made seperate functions, but then again I am a minimalist at times and less code>more code, in many cases.

Used beta...3.1.1.38, guess I need to download again, new stuff to test. :">

Edited by scriptkitty

AutoIt3, the MACGYVER Pocket Knife for computers.