Beep when text is found

Hi there, I'm pretty new to programming. I did write some code a few years ago so it should be easy to pick up but I do need some guidelines. I need a simple script that will:

1. Click a button on the screen when it appears every 2 minutes

2. After clicking the button it must search for a few words anywhere in a window (Chrome or Firefox) and make an audible beep if any of the words are found.

3. Repeat as soon as the button appears again (after around 2 minutes).

Can someone point me to a thread where something like this was discussed. I tried searching but my script requirements are too general/simple so I get a whole bunch of complicated scripts that don't apply.

WinWait
ControlClick
WinGetText
Beep

I'm hoping the forum generates links for them, but look in the helpfile for examples. (Edit: Yep. Links working)

Chrome or Firefox could cause problems with the WinGetText not reading properly, I haven't tested it though. If not then the only solutions are Send Ctrl+A Ctrl+C and read the clipboard... Or OCR.

Edited by Mat

Ok, I've been reading the help and the forums. This is my first time using autoit so I have no clue. Came up with the script below. Just trying to see if I can find the text first. Doesn't seem to be working though. Not sure why

$oIE = WinActivate ( "marketplace" )

;search the page

#include <IE.au3>

$sText = _IEBodyReadText ($oIE)

$aText = StringSplit($sText,@CRLF)

; Locate any text with Scythe

If StringInStr($aText,"Scythe") Then

msgbox(0,"",$aText)

EndIf

Edited by Demonscythe

For some reason I can't read the text or source of the webpage. Used IE. So I've decided to go the send Ctrl+A Ctrl+C route. All I need to do is then find the text from the clipboard? Or do I have to paste it into notepad and then search? Just trying to find the simplest way to search for a few words on a webpage. (Adding the clicking and wait intervals seems easy enough) Are there any examples of using Ctrl+A and Ctrl+C and searchng text?

Edited by Demonscythe

If you want to use that method, then after the text is selected and ctrl c applied, you can use ClipGet() to get the (string) contents into a variable, then as suggested above "StringInStr" for the test.

But I can tell you that you are using winactivate incorrectly in your script above. It returns the handle of a window, not an IE object. For that you need to look at _IECreate(), or _IEAttatch() before you can use $oIE like you are attempting above.

Edited by JohnOne

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

Thanks for the help. Will try this out when I get home. Still need to sort out the button clicking. Any problems with the below?

WinActivate("marketplace")

send("^a")

send("^c")

$Text = ClipGet()

; Locate any text with Scythe

If StringInStr($Text,"Scythe") Then

msgbox(0,"","Yes!")

EndIf

Another quick question. How can I search for multiple words and return if one or more of them exists? Would the below work?

WinActivate("marketplace")

send("^a")

send("^c")

$Text = ClipGet()

; Locate any text with Scythe or Axe

If StringInStr($Text,"Scythe"|"Axe") Then

msgbox(0,"","Yes!")

EndIf

I would add a short sleep between your functions to give them tine to actually occur.

"Would the below work?"

"If StringInStr($Text,"Scythe"|"Axe") Then"

No.

Search twice

"If StringInStr($Text,"Scythe") And StringInStr($Text,"Axe") Then

Or try dive into the murky world of StringRegExp()

Edited by JohnOne

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

I managed to make it work! Search for button, click button, search for words in clipboard and then beep if found. Great feeling when it works for the first time :graduated:

Just one more question about randomizing the sleep time between loops. I want to sleep a random time between 3 and 6 seconds before repeating the loop. Don't want to wait integer times. I know the "1" below denotes integers. If I leave it out then the time wil be randomized in milliseconds?

Sleep(Random(3000, 6000, 1))