Windows 98 as a target OS for compiled programs?

Javik

Regarding this thread about Windows 98 compatibility:

Does this just mean you cannot run the most recent AutoIT editor/compiler on Windows 98 anymore?

Can the most recent versions of AutoIT compile programs for Windows 98 as a target OS?

There are people still running Windows 98? Why?

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

<shudder>

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

I just put together a 98 machine :graduated:

so I can play older games that won't run on 7 (which are few and far between)

My Android cat and mouse game
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.KaosVisions.WhiskersNSqueek

We're gonna need another Timmy!

I couldn't imagine running a version of Windows that old, I'd have to relearn how to use it all over again, not a pleasant thought.

Some people are happy with what they are comfortable with.

MS wants us buying the latest version etc , but a lot of the time really not necessary.

For Mr & Mrs Average

Think about it> All you do is email the grand kids and now and then look at the local church website. The site was built using basic HTML. No muss, no fuss. You have Windows 95 on your PC. The PC runs well, never crashes, and you don't use it very often.

Why do you need to upgrade? To be in the year 2011? In your world what difference would it make? None. Why fix it when it works fine as it is?

I know, I know there will be folks who could not bear the thought of being on an antique like that. I hear you now shuddering through the internet. Get over it.

DosBox nor any VM works with games that 1. require Windows and 2. require a 3d video card (Like Star wars Episode 1 racer)

I did get that game to install under win7, but my video card was way beyond it and I got the white screen bug. Therefore my only option was a 98 machine :graduated:

My Android cat and mouse game
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.KaosVisions.WhiskersNSqueek

We're gonna need another Timmy!