StringStripWS() - problem with OpenOffice/LibreOffice

iCode

i use LibreOffice and this has been bugging me for awhile but so far i haven't been able to find a cause

if i use StringStripWS() with flag 7, (and only with 7) i get weird results when pasting in Office. for example if you use this script (and the hot-key doesn't seem to matter, as long as it's free in Office - here it's CTRL+SPACE)...

HotKeySet('^{SPACE}', '_paste')
While 1
Sleep(250)
WEnd
Func _paste()
$str = ClipGet()
Sleep(10)
$str_a = StringStripWS($str, 7)
ClipPut($str_a)
Sleep(10)
Send('^v')
Send('{ENTER 2}')
$str_b = StringStripWS($str, 3)
ClipPut($str_b)
Sleep(10)
Send('^v')
EndFunc

and then copy this sample...

a  b  c

this will be the output you paste (CTRL+SPACE)...

a b c

a  b  c

so the above works as expected, but if you use this sample...

a
b
c

this will be the output, where the first StringStripWS() fails to output the 'b' and 'c'...

a

a
b
c

i can get the job done using a regular expression, but i'm wondering why StringStripWS() is failing with flag 7?

Edited by iCode

FUNCTIONS: WinDock (dock window to screen edge) | EditCtrl_ToggleLineWrap (line/word wrap for AU3 edit control) | SendEX (yet another alternative to Send( ) ) | Spell Checker (Hunspell wrapper) | SentenceCase (capitalize first letter of sentences)

CODE SNIPPITS: Dynamic tab width (set tab control width according to window width)

I would hazard a guess that there is some other formatting character being copied from your office seeing as how it is only that application that the function fails with.

See if you get unexpected characters

HotKeySet('^{SPACE}', '_paste')
While 1
Sleep(250)
WEnd
Func _paste()
$str = ClipGet()
$astr = StringSplit($str,"")
For $i = 1 To $astr[0]
  ConsoleWrite(Asc($astr[$i]) & " ")
Next
ConsoleWrite(@CRLF)
EndFunc   ;==>_paste

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

I would hazard a guess that there is some other formatting character being copied from your office...

thing is, it happens when copying from anywhere. i even made sure to preview my first post and copy the 2nd 'abc' sample and pasted it into Office

so the source does not seem to matter, nor the string. the problem is with OO i think. i just ran more tests using different methods to send keys to OO and the output got borked. in one case it output 'a' on one page, 'b' on another and 'c' on a 3rd. Java < :graduated:

FUNCTIONS: WinDock (dock window to screen edge) | EditCtrl_ToggleLineWrap (line/word wrap for AU3 edit control) | SendEX (yet another alternative to Send( ) ) | Spell Checker (Hunspell wrapper) | SentenceCase (capitalize first letter of sentences)

CODE SNIPPITS: Dynamic tab width (set tab control width according to window width)

yeah, it's only Libre/OO where the problem is

i agree it's not likely a StringStripWS problem, but i wasn't sure at first

anyway, thanks for the help!

I tend to avoid having to use any kind of office application unless I need a nice print format for something official. One of the reasons is that I don't fully understand how they work. But besides that, I don't like autoformatting and popup messages that interrupt you every time you try to do something. Although they are great programs, things like this irritate me.

Heres a way you can test for AscII characters in the string. Then you can compair the results to the AscII code table to see if there are any characters you didn't expect. If there are unicode characters present, then I don't know.

#include <Array.au3>
Local $sString = "1760" ; replace this with your string
Local $sChars = ""
For $i = 0 To 255 ; Look for AscII characters
    If StringInStr($sString, Chr($i)) Then $sChars &= $i & ","
Next
$sChars = StringTrimRight($sChars, 1) ; remove the final delimeter
Local $aArray = StringSplit($sChars, ",", 2)
_ArrayDisplay($aArray)

Ah, I notice John already suggested something similar.

Edited by czardas

i tend to agree with your view on office suites - i very much like the FOSS community, but i don't like Java at all and most of them require it

i didn't run the AscII test yet