_ArrayUnique - Proposed change to standard UDF

wraithdu

Maybe referencing queue architectures wasn't the best anaolgy. But this behavior is certainly more akin to FIFO than LIFO. LIFO reminds me of pushing addresses onto a stack and later popping them back off, where the data is retrieved in the reverse chronological order from which it was created. If we're considering the order in which elements appear in the array as the order of retrieval, then this is FIFO. Anyway...

You are entirely correct about the count issue. I hadn't considered that the final value of the count might match an element already in the array (duh!), which is trouble. So there is no reasonable way to maintain a count within Scripting .Dictionary itself, and, as you have stated, to avoid script-breaking one would have to do it with post-processing that includes a Redim :graduated:

Edit: Ok, I retract my last statement, changing the last few lines to this is reasonable and doesn't technically call Redim() or _ArrayInsert(). The implicit array copy may take as long though.:

$aArray = $oD.Keys
    $aArray[0] = $iUnique
    Return $aArray
Edited by Spiff59

You are entirely correct about the count issue. I hadn't considered that the final value of the count might match an element already in the array (duh!), which is trouble. So there is no reasonable way to maintain a count within Scripting .Dictionary itself, and, as you have stated, to avoid script-breaking one would have to do it with post-processing that includes a Redim ;)

What about adding an optional "return count" flag in the parameters? You could write it to do it the fastest way not worring about the count, and only if the user wants/needs the count will you then take the extra steps to redim. That will sort of seperate your fast function from a still fast function, but slower function due to avoiding script breaking changes. Great job btw :graduated:

EDIT: Maybe like this:

Func __ArrayUnique($aArray, $iDimension = 1, $iIdx = 0, $iCase = 0, $bReturnCount = True)
;;;;;;
;   code
;;;;;;
If Not $bReturnCount Then
  Return $oD.Keys()
Else
  Local $iCount = '<$#!UNIQUE$#!>' & $oD.Count() & '<$#!UNIQUE$#!>'
  $oD.Item($iCount)
  $aArray = $oD.Keys()
  Local $iLast = UBound($aArray)-1
  $aArray[$iLast] = Number(StringReplace($aArray[$iLast], '<$#!UNIQUE$#!>', ''))
  _ArraySwap($aArray[0], $aArray[$iLast])
  Return $aArray
EndIf
EndFunc
Edited by Beege

I was thinking more along the lines of

Local $aTemp = $oD.Keys()
_ArrayInsert($aTemp, 0, $oD.Count)
Return $aTemp

I don't like the idea of 'hoping' some key value will be unique to the dictionary. And this function doesn't alter the input array, hence using a temp array.

Edited by wraithdu

I don't like the idea of 'hoping' some key value will be unique to the dictionary. And this function doesn't alter the input array, hence using a temp array.

I didnt either. For some reason I thought I read you were trying to not do a redim at the end, but looking over your posts you it appears you never said that. :graduated: Which makes sense cause doing only one redim, as you showed,barely effects it.

curious, since you pointed out how it dosent alter the input array, would that change something if it did?

• 6 months later...

wraithdu

source:

For $i = $iIdx To UBound($aArray) - 1
If $iDims = 1 Then
  $vElem = $aArray[$i]
Else
  $vElem = $aArray[$i][$iDimension]
EndIf
$oD.Item($vElem)
Next

replacement:

If $iDims = 1 Then
  $vElem = $aArray[$i]
  $oD.Item($vElem)
Next
Else
  $vElem = $aArray[$i][$iDimension]
  $oD.Item($vElem)
Next
EndIf

• 2 months later...

Interesting topic, this.

I sometimes have similar needs (my customers ask for unique test data for lottery printing), where the data amounts can be against the 500.000 record mark.

I have thought about using SQLite for the purpose, essentially something like this:

create temp SQLite database in memory, with distinct restriction on a field
run through input data
insert in SQLite DB
if error, value existed already

Result is a unique list I guess.

Did not try it yet though.

Tried GNU tools such as AWK and uniq on a 80MB file, it was quite slow.

So any thoughts on the SQLite route ?

I am just a hobby programmer, and nothing great to publish right now.

• Moderators

Interesting topic, this.

I sometimes have similar needs (my customers ask for unique test data for lottery printing), where the data amounts can be against the 500.000 record mark.

I have thought about using SQLite for the purpose, essentially something like this:

create temp SQLite database in memory, with distinct restriction on a field
run through input data
insert in SQLite DB
if error, value existed already

Result is a unique list I guess.

Did not try it yet though.

Tried GNU tools such as AWK and uniq on a 80MB file, it was quite slow.

So any thoughts on the SQLite route ?

It works, I use it often, and it's fast. However, must be careful on how you list the data types.

Edit:

If there's more discussion, I'd suggest starting a new thread rather than hijacking this one.

Edited by SmOke_N

Common sense plays a role in the basics of understanding AutoIt... If you're lacking in that, do us all a favor, and step away from the computer.