Registry Keys to Run My Script From Context Menu

Hi,

I wrote a script that processes files you select from the shell. Drag a box around files, right click, select Process Files from context menu. The program uses CMDLINERAW to take in the arguments passed by the shell.

This is running the program properly and passing the files selected as arguments to the program. The problem is that it runs a separate instance of the program for everyfile in the selection.

The keys I wound up with are:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/*/SHELL/MYKEY/

• (Default)--- Reg_SZ--- Optimise Files
  • Icon -------Reg_SZ--- C:\Scripts\myicon.ico
  • Position-----Reg_SZ--- Middle
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/*/SHELL/MYKEY/COMMAND

• (Default)----Reg_SZ----C:\Scripts\myprogram.exe %1

So if I drag a box around three files, right click selection and left click Optimise Files then I get three instances of the program run with single file in each, instead of a single instance with three files in it.

What I need is for it to pass all the files as arguments to a single instance of the program.

Can anyone help with this?

WM_COPYDATA will achieve what I believe you're looking for. Look in my signature for an example of how to use.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Thanks guinness. That is a very interesting bit of code but it's not quite what I'm chasing. Heaps of interesting stuff in your sigblock.

I just need to know what registry key to create to make only a single instance of the program run with all the selections passed to it.

I'm having all sorts of trouble trying to get this working.

Any advice appreciated.

I just need to know what registry key to create to make only a single instance of the program run with all the selections passed to it.

There's no Registry Key take a look at _Singleton() in the Help file and then $CmdLine in the help file. I'm sure WM_COPYDATA is what you're looking for. A quick example, I have an instance of the program running in the background, when a user sends files to the application instead of creating a new instance those files are sent to the initial application running...am I right? Is this what you wanted?

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

I'm probably not explaining what I'm doing properly.

There is no AutoIT program running in the background during normal operation of the pc.

You open up Windows Explorer, drag a box around several files and right click the selection.

From the Windows context menu you select the entry "Optimise Files" which I have created with the below registry keys in the windows registry:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/*/SHELL/MYKEY/

• (Default)--- Reg_SZ--- Optimise Files
  • Icon -------Reg_SZ--- C:\Scripts\myicon.ico
  • Position-----Reg_SZ--- Middle
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/*/SHELL/MYKEY/COMMAND
  • (Default)----Reg_SZ----C:\Scripts\myprogram.exe %1
Selecting "Optimise Files" from the windows context menu starts the program C:\Scripts\myprogram.exe and passes the selections you made with the drag box as command line parameters to the program.

The Problem

If I drag a box around 3 files in a Windows Explorer window, right click, select Optimise FIles from Widows context menu it successfully starts my program but it will start three instances, passing one of the files to each instance as a command line parameter.

My Aim

What I'm trying to achieve is to have one instance of my program launched with all three files passed as command line parameters to that one instance.

So I did understand what you required. The workaround I can think of is using a combination of WM_COPYDATA and _Singleton().

1. First file opens 1 instance and sets _Singleton(), the file is 'optimised.'

2. Second file is sent to the first instance to be processed using WM_COPYDATA for 'optimising.'

3. Third file is sent to the first instance to be processed using WM_COPYDATA for 'optimising.'

N. Nth file is sent to the first instance to be processed using WM_COPYDATA for 'optimising.'

I will simplify my WM_COPYDATA and re-post once complete.

UDF List:

Thanks for taking the time to help me with this guinness :graduated:

I have managed to find a program that will set registry entries to create a context menu item that will send all the files to a single instance of my program as arguments. Then I'm breaking the CMDLINERAW into an array using

$args = StringSplit($CMDLINERAW," ")

The webpage is here http://www.lopesoft.com/en/fmtools/info.html and if you create a custom context menu item in the program it works. I just cant figure out how the heck its doing it.

The keys it makes are in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\LopeSoft\FileMenu Tools\Commands, in my case subkey is 22 for this command.

There are other keys made in the registry by this program for a dll as well so maybe it's not just a matter of setting registry keys. I'm no expert on the registry so this is getting a bit beyond me.

Anyway, appreciate your help guinness.

Edited by gruntydatsun

Does this give you a better idea of what I was talking about? I've tried to make the process very easy to understand as you only have to use _WM_COPYDATA_Send() & _WM_COPYDATA_Start(). If this doesn't work then please post the code you tried.

#AutoIt3Wrapper_Au3Check_Parameters=-d -w 1 -w 2 -w 3 -w 4 -w 5 -w 6
#AutoIt3Wrapper_UseX64=Y

#cs
    Thanks to the following for helping in the past ...
    KaFu for the idea from _EnforceSingleInstance().
    Yashied for x64 support.
#ce

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <WinAPI.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>

Global $__InterCommunication[3] = ["-GUIHandle", "-ControlID", "-Data"] ; Internal array for the WM_COPYDATA functions.

_Main()

Func _Main()
    Local $iControlID

$iControlID = _WM_COPYDATA_Start() ; Start the communication process.
    If @error Then
        If Not _WM_COPYDATA_Send($CmdLineRaw) Then ; Send $CmdLineRaw if there is process already running.
            MsgBox(64, "2nd Instance: " & @AutoItPID, "Seems there was an @error, but more than likely $CmdLineRaw was blank.")
        EndIf
        Exit
    EndIf

While 1
        Switch GUIGetMsg()
            Case $iControlID ; If the WM_COPYDATA message is interecepted then show your optimise function.
                _Optimise()
        EndSwitch
    WEnd
EndFunc   ;==>_Main

Func _Optimise()
    Return MsgBox(64, "1st Instance: " & @AutoItPID, _WM_COPYDATA_GetFile()) ; Get the WM_COPYDATA file.
EndFunc   ;==>_Optimise

Func _WM_COPYDATA($hWnd, $iMsg, $iwParam, $ilParam) ; WM_COPYDATA function.
    #forceref $hWnd, $iMsg, $iwParam
    Local $tData, $tParam, $tString
    $tParam = DllStructCreate("ulong_ptr;dword;ptr", $ilParam)
    $tData = DllStructCreate("wchar[" & DllStructGetData($tParam, 2) / 2 & "]", DllStructGetData($tParam, 3))
    $tString = DllStructGetData($tData, 1)
    $__InterCommunication[2] = BinaryToString($tString)
    GUICtrlSendToDummy($__InterCommunication[1])
EndFunc   ;==>_WM_COPYDATA

Func _WM_COPYDATA_GetFile() ; Retrieve the file passed via the 2nd instance.
    Return $__InterCommunication[2]
EndFunc   ;==>_WM_COPYDATA_GetFile

Func _WM_COPYDATA_Send($sString) ; Send data to the 1st instance.
    Local $hHandle = $__InterCommunication[0], $ilParam, $tData

If $hHandle = -1 Then
        Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
    EndIf

If StringStripWS($sString, 8) = "" Then
        Return SetError(2, 0, 0) ; String is blank.
    EndIf

If $hHandle Then
        $tData = DllStructCreate("wchar[" & StringLen($sString) + 1 & "]")
        DllStructSetData($tData, 1, $sString)

$ilParam = DllStructCreate("ulong_ptr;dword;ptr")
        DllStructSetData($ilParam, 1, 0)
        DllStructSetData($ilParam, 2, DllStructGetSize($tData))
        DllStructSetData($ilParam, 3, DllStructGetPtr($tData))
        _SendMessage($hHandle, $WM_COPYDATA, 0, DllStructGetPtr($ilParam))
        Return Number(Not @error)
    EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>_WM_COPYDATA_Send

Func _WM_COPYDATA_Start() ; Start the WM_COPYDATA process. Thanks to KaFu for introducing me to AutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle().
    Local $hGUI, $hHandle, $sData = "D4672AD6-EA21-4FFD-88F5-4641A2B33E9F"

$hHandle = WinGetHandle($sData)
    If @error Then
        AutoItWinSetTitle($sData)

$hGUI = GUICreate("", 0, 0, -99, -99, "", $WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW)
        GUISetState(@SW_SHOW, $hGUI)
        ControlSetText($hHandle, "", ControlGetHandle($hHandle, "", 'Edit1'), $hGUI)
        GUIRegisterMsg($WM_COPYDATA, "_WM_COPYDATA")
        $__InterCommunication[0] = -1
        $__InterCommunication[1] = GUICtrlCreateDummy()
        Return SetError(0, 0, $__InterCommunication[1])
    Else
        $hHandle = HWnd(ControlGetText($hHandle, '', ControlGetHandle($hHandle, '', 'Edit1')))
        $__InterCommunication[0] = $hHandle
        Return SetError(1, 0, $hHandle)
    EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>_WM_COPYDATA_Start

UDF List:

You're welcome.

UDF List:

Wow guinness. I feel like a bit of a moron being totally swamped by the simplified version! lol

I managed to get the program working properly. I made a SendTo folder shortcut and that automatically sends all the arguments to a single instance of the program.

I did use your _CmdLineRaw function from your sigblock to replace the clunky one I wrote. It works like a charm now.

The program I wrote is a wrapper for nconvert.exe that shrinks photos to the same size that facebook would squeeze them to (after you upload your 5MB photo). This makes it easy for my wife to optimise, then upload copious amounts of photos of our newborn 2nd daughter without monopolising my computer (woeful upload speed here).

Thanks for helping Guinness.

Below is my program. It's raw and a little nasty bit it works.

This is the link to the photo optimiser command line program it uses. I'll end up using file include to install it to the user machine and create the SendTo link from AutoIT installer section in the script aswell.

http://www.xnview.com/en/download_nc.html

1:15am here. Need sleep.

#cs ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
AutoIt Version: 3.3.6.1
Author:      GruntyDatsun
Script Function:
Optimise photos for upload to facebook.  Depends on having a copy of nconvert.exe
in the same folder as this executable.  Make a shortcut in your SendTo folder
pointing to this executable.  You can right click a seletion of files, Send To,
This Excecutable and they will be squeezed down and inserted into a folder.
#ce ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Script Start - Add your code below here
#include <Array.au3>
#include <Constants.au3>        ;for STDOUT_CHILD, STDERR_CHILD
$args = _CmdLineRaw($CMDLINERAW)      ;thanks guinness
if IsArray($args) Then       ;check if command line arguments passed in array
if FileGetAttrib($args[0]) = "D" Then   ;THIS IS A DIRECTORY
  local $OutputPath = $args[0] & "\ForFACEBOOK"  ;set path to output folder for photos
  $args = _GetFileList()        ;get a listing of all files in folder
  DirCreate($OutputPath)        ;create output folder
ElseIf FileGetAttrib($args[0]) = "A" Then   ;THIS IS A FILE
  local $OutputPath = _OutputPathFromFilePath()  ;find output folder path based on full file path
  DirCreate($OutputPath)        ;create output folder
EndIf
ProgressOn("PROCESSING FILES","Processing Files Now")
$elements = UBound($args)
$step = 100 / $elements
local $done ;percentage finished
;step through array and optimise into results folder
for $x = 0 to UBound($args)-1
  $done += $step
  ProgressSet($done,"Processing Photos Now")
  If StringRight($args[$x],4) = ".jpg" OR StringRight($args[$x],5) = ".jpeg" Then
   $filename = StringSplit($args[$x],"\")
   $out = '"' & $OutputPath & "\" & $filename[$filename[0]] & '"'
   $in = '"' & $args[$x] & '"'
   $PID = RunWait(@ComSpec & " /c " & 'nconvert.exe -out jpeg -quiet -ratio -q 80 -resize 960 0 -o ' & $out & " " & $in, "", @SW_HIDE)
   STDIOClose($PID)
  EndIf
Next
ProgressSet(100 , "Done", "Complete")
sleep(1000)
ProgressOff()
EndIf  ;end of if IsArray($args)
Func _GetFileList()  ;return an array of all files in a folder
  local $text
  local $folderpath = $args[0]
  $StdOut = Run(@ComSpec & " /c " & 'dir "' & $args[0] & '" /s /b', "", @SW_HIDE, $StdOut_CHILD + $STDERR_CHILD)
  While 1
   $line = StdoutRead($StdOut)
   If @error Then ExitLoop
   $text &= $line
  WEnd
  return StringRegExp($text, '((?<=\s"|^")[^"]+(?=")|[^\s"]+)', 3)  ;make array of full paths to files in folders
EndFunc ;==>_GetFileList

Func _OutputPathFromFilePath()
  local $TempPath        ;var to rebuild path
  $aPath = StringSplit($args[0],"\")    ;split up full path to file into array delim by \
  ;rebuild path using 2nd element through to 2nd last element
  for $x = 1 to $aPath[0] - 1
   $TempPath &= $aPath[$x]
   if $x < $aPath[0]-1 then $TempPath &= "\"
  Next
  return $TempPath & "\ForFACEBOOK"
EndFunc

; #FUNCTION# =========================================================================================================
; Name...........: _CmdLineRaw()
; Description ...: Creates an Array of a $CmdLineRaw string.
; Syntax.........: _CmdLineRaw($sString)
; Parameters ....: $cString - $CmdLineRaw string.
; Requirement(s).: v3.2.12.1 or higher
; Return values .: Success - Array of $CmdLineRaw string.
;                 Failure - Returns 0 & sets @error = 1
; Author ........: guinness
; Example........; Yes
;=====================================================================================================================
Func _CmdLineRaw($sString)
    If $sString = "" Then
        Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
    EndIf
    Local $aReturn = DllCall("kernel32.dll", "dword", "ExpandEnvironmentStringsW", "wstr", $sString, "wstr", "", "dword", 4096)
    If @error Then
        Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
    EndIf
    Return StringRegExp($aReturn[2], '((?<=\s"|^")[^"]+(?=")|[^\s"]+)', 3)
EndFunc   ;==>_CmdLineRaw

Nice idea! I didn't think about SendTo at the time as I was trying to concentrate on your problem first and foremost.

Couple of suggestions, I've just this second updated _CmdLineRaw() with the number of strings found in the first element ($aArray[0]) OR in there is a function which does exactly the same as _CmdLineRaw() but using the Windows API instead >> _WinAPI_CommandLineToArgv(). And if you do go down the route of WinAPIEx.au3 then another function I would suggest is _WinAPI_PathIsDirectory()! Good luck.

UDF List:

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I did not think this project would be such a pain but it is turning out to be just that. Iv got 3 main problems that i just cant figure but this is the one id like to concentrate on atm.

Im doing a "re-do" of the send-to context menu for win7 as they decided in there great wisdom to remove the ability to have folded sub-folders since vista.

I have added the reg keys below to execute my app "V7SendTo.exe"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT*shellV7SendTo]

"Icon"="shell32,43

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT*shellV7SendTocommand]

@="E:Program Files (x86)V7SendToV7SendTo.exe" "%1"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareClassesFoldershellV7SendTo]

"Icon"="shell32,43

[HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareClassesFoldershellV7SendTocommand]

@="E:Program Files (x86)V7SendToV7SendTo.exe" "%1"

which works (with some bugs , but we shall not dwell here atm).

Now Iv been hitting my head against the OP's darn problem, thats to say im having real trouble parsing multiple selected files/folders to my app. Iv been working with your (@guinness) UDF WM_COPYDATA and i just cant get it to work properly :-/

Heres what iv compiled and named "E:Program Files (x86)V7SendToV7SendTo.exe" , I select several files & click on the context command. It runs from the context fine but the parsed file names are not right ? sometimes it errors with "Seems there was an @error, but more than likely $CmdLineRaw was blank." but more often than not it generates an output with missing and/or multiple duplicate file names.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#AutoIt3Wrapper_Au3Check_Parameters=-d -w 1 -w 2 -w 3 -w 4 -w 5 -w 6
;~ #AutoIt3Wrapper_UseX64=Y
#cs
Yashied for x64 support.
#ce
#include <WinAPI.au3>
#include <misc.au3>
#include <Timers.au3>
#include <Debug.au3>
Global $file = $CmdLine[$CmdLine[0]] & @CRLF
Global $__InterCommunication[3] = ["-GUIHandle", "-ControlID", "-Data"] ; Internal array for the WM_COPYDATA functions.
Global $time
_Main()
Func _Main()
Local $iControlID
If @error Then
  If Not _WM_COPYDATA_Send($CmdLineRaw) Then ; Send $CmdLineRaw if there is process already running.
   MsgBox(64, "2nd Instance: " & @AutoItPID, "Seems there was an @error, but more than likely $CmdLineRaw was blank.")
  EndIf
  Exit
EndIf
_Singleton(@ScriptName)
$time = _Timer_Init()
While 1
  Switch GUIGetMsg()
   Case $iControlID ; If the WM_COPYDATA message is interecepted then show your optimise function.
    _Optimise()
  EndSwitch
  If _Timer_Diff($time) > 2000 Then ExitLoop
WEnd
_DebugSetup("output")
_DebugOut($file)
Exit
EndFunc   ;==>_Main
Func _Optimise()
$file &= _WM_COPYDATA_GetFile() & @CRLF
;~   Return  MsgBox(64, "1st Instance: " & @AutoItPID, _WM_COPYDATA_GetFile()) ; Get the WM_COPYDATA file.
EndFunc   ;==>_Optimise
$tData = DllStructCreate("wchar[" & DllStructGetData($tParam, 2) / 2 & "]", DllStructGetData($tParam, 3))
If $hHandle = -1 Then
  Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
EndIf
EndIf
If $hHandle Then
EndIf
Func _WM_COPYDATA_Start() ; Start the WM_COPYDATA process. Thanks to KaFu for introducing me to AutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle().
If @error Then
Else
  $hHandle = HWnd(ControlGetText($hHandle, '', ControlGetHandle($hHandle, '', 'Edit1')))
EndIf

It looks like its getting the right number of selected files but why is it repeating some and missing others ? I looked into the suggestions above about using FileMenu Tools but thats not a good answer for me as my app is meant for others to use and i cant really expect them to customize there context menus with another app.

Any suggestions here, Cheers.

Edited by JackDinn

Thx all,Jack Dinn.

JD's Auto Internet Speed Tester

JD's Clip Catch (With Screen Shot Helper)

Projects :- AutoIt - My projects

My software never has bugs. It just develops random features. :-D

Well with a little more tinkering and thinking on the problem i decided that it was trying to parse the data to fast, all the instances of the script that are executed (one for each selected file/folder) are trying to send there data across to the first instance at the same time and causing a "traffic jam" kinda thing.

So iv tried to put all the subsequent instances (after the first instance) into a queue and then let them out one at a time with a slight delay between. It is working but its really messy, not terribly reliable, uses hight cpu & is to slow if you select a lot of files/folders !

There must be some better way to do all this , this is crazy :D .

Anyhow, heres what iv got :-

#region ;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI ****
#AutoIt3Wrapper_AU3Check_Parameters=-w 1 -w 2 -w 3 -w 4 -w 5 -w 6
#Tidy_Parameters=/rel
#endregion ;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI ****
Opt("TrayIconHide", 1)
;~ #AutoIt3Wrapper_UseX64=Y
#cs
Yashied for x64 support.
#ce
#include <WinAPI.au3>
#include <misc.au3>
#include <Timers.au3>
#include <Debug.au3>
#include <Array.au3>
Global $file = '"' & $CmdLine[$CmdLine[0]] & '"' & @CRLF
Global $time
_Main()
Func _Main()
Local $iControlID
If @error Then
  Sleep(1000); wait for all the multiples of this script to load (one for each selected file/folder), 1 sec should be enough
  $proceslist = ProcessList(@ScriptName)
  For $x = 1 To $proceslist[0][0]   ;Hold all the processes with @scriptname in a queue
   Sleep(300) ;delay for each instance, THIS IS CAUSING A MASSIVE SLOWDOWN when a lot of files/folders are selected but if i lower it it starts "playing up"
   If $proceslist[$x][1] = @AutoItPID Then ExitLoop ; let out the instances of @scriptname's one at a time (by there PID)
  Next
  If Not _WM_COPYDATA_Send($CmdLineRaw) Then ; Send each instances $CmdLineRaw
   If @error Then Beep(1000, 100)
  EndIf
  Exit ; exit each instance of @scriptname as it "should have" sent its message
EndIf
SplashTextOn("","Processing....",400,100)
Sleep(500); wait for the multiples of this script to load (one for each selected file/folder), less that 1 sec as to make sure this part is running before any $CmdLineRaw is sent over
While $proceslist[0][0] > 1 ; repeat checking for data until only 1 instance of @scriptname is left
  Switch GUIGetMsg()
    _Optimise()
  EndSwitch
WEnd         ; wait for there to be only 1 instance of @scriptname left (This one "the first instance") before continuing
SplashOff()
If Not WinExists("[CLASS:Notepad]") Then Run("notepad.exe")
sleep(1000)
ControlSetText("[CLASS:Notepad]", "", "Edit1", $file)
Exit
EndFunc   ;==>_Main
Func _Optimise()
$file &= _WM_COPYDATA_GetFile() & @CRLF
EndFunc   ;==>_Optimise
If $hHandle = -1 Then
  Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
EndIf
EndIf
If $hHandle Then
EndIf
If @error Then
Else
EndIf

Any help would be gratefully appreciated as im really out of my depth here.

Thx all,Jack Dinn.

This works for me. Also from what I can tell from your code you're closing instances of the application but this is all handled by _WM_COPYDATA_Start.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

Hi, thx for your help here. Iv run your code , iv not touched a thing and i still get the same repeated / missed items :-

Posted ImagePosted Image

Im using a brand new (well been installed a week or so) win7x64 SP1 installation , I haven't tried it on xp yet but i really need to figure out whats going on here first ?

Thx all,Jack Dinn.

well iv tested on some VM win7 installations , these have just been freshly installed and it still does the same

Posted ImagePosted Image

Iv tried it on both x64 and x86 , both fresh installations on VMWare.

Iv been trying to debug and trace through whats going on with each instance & what each is trying to send but its really difficult as i cant use ConsoleWrite() , if i try to use a notepad to send data to they all get muddled which notepad window they should be sending there data to and i get all sorts of strange things. Im really scratching my head.

Thx all,Jack Dinn.

See the previous post. Also you will need so just place this in the same directory as where you save the script, as this is the correct approach to show an item in the contextmenu for Directories, Drives and Files. Another point to add is I tested previously using SendTo and not the contextmenu.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

ok cheers , i will look into how to create the context menu item properly , thx. Do you think it might be the reason why its acting like this ?

Also i know i mentioned "SendTo" but i dont want to run it from the actual sendto context menu i want a separate context menu item for my app.

Thx all,Jack Dinn.

Do you think it might be the reason why its acting like this ?

Dunno.

Updated previous example.

UDF List: