Find physical location?

As I understand it, an ISP would have to hand over records for who was using the IP address at the time. You can determine the ISP and the 'approximate' location from the IP address, but how would you know the IP address in any case? Hmmmmm.....?

Well maybe you would be able to crosscheck the current IP with the home phone number or check which line it is going along and crosscheck that,and then it could do a reverse search on the white pages or something to give an address? In theory it is possible, but it would be quite impractical because it would require a lot of hacking around :graduated:

Although, what you can do is have a server, which users can access over a website to set the status of their computer to stolen or something like that, and a client one on the computer and it waits for webcam activity and sends off images to the server, which then reports back to the user, who can take the images to the police. It may also get the name of the router and screenshots to show what the thief is doing. If it gets them on facebook or something like that, then the police basically will know for certain who it was.

Edited by Mikeman27294

Every time I steal a computer, I wipe the drive and install a fresh operation system before I connect it to the internet.

As I understand, there are subscription APIs about that get a location about as close as you can.

Unfortunately I cannot remember their web addresses.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

Every time I steal a computer, I wipe the drive and install a fresh operation system before I connect it to the internet.

>.>

thief!

As I understand, there are subscription APIs about that get a location about as close as you can.

Unfortunately I cannot remember their web addresses.

Google is your friend :graduated:

http://www.google.com/search?q=Geolocation+API

• 2 years later...

I too want to know the answer to this.

I dont care what thief does when they stole your laptop, all i care is to get his last known location on his 1st attempt to login.

Pretty sure no thief wipes computer off before trying to see if it works. When he does, thats when i get him HAHHAHAHA