command prompt in taskbar

manit

hi ,

I have an idea.

I want to create an application which acts more than default command prompt of xp.

(1)It should remember all commands executed as history,

(2)When I press ctrl+r then type a string , then string should be searched in history & commands containing it should be displayed. Further ctrl+r should search more deep into history.

(3)pressing tab after writing a partial path should autocomplete it.

(4)add current system time to prompt i.e 3:47-current_working_directory>

In linux we have gnome-terminal which does that & lot more . But I did not find ant enhanced command prompt software for windows xp. So I have decided to make one.

Is it possible to make such an app ?

How should I begin ?

Search for Console.au3 by Mat.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Why did you have to include the files in your post? A link to the forum post would've been suffice.

Do I have to use functions from them ?

If you want to create a console application with ease then yes, otherwise you can you ConsoleWrite() & #AutoIt3Wrapper_Change2CUI (search the forum for examples) and you will need the full version of SciTE4AutoIt3 if you want to use #AutoIt3Wrapper_Change2CUI.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the functions consolewrite & consoleread which can be used to send output to command prompt & feed input to compiled consoleread.exe respectively.

Making a command prompt seems a daunting task.

All I can think is I have to create a window in which user can type & string gets executed on pressing enter.

Also If user presses a letter in combination with ctrl then with each letter appropriate lines from history log should be autocompleted.,

When tab is pressed then string typed so far should be read & file or folder name completion should be displayed.

This free utility has most of what you specified:

http://www.bayden.com/SlickRun/

Also you can create aliases (author calls them "magic words")

It has its quirks. But you can make the input line very small. Also you can have it invisible. When you hit the hotkey the input is visible and has the keyboard focus.

If you really do like the Linux shell you can get bash and other shells for Win32.

I used bash on win32 for awhile because it was the only sane way to use Win32 versions of sed, find, awk and other linux utilities.

http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages.html

• 2 weeks later...

where is gnome-terminal lookalike on http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages.html ?

I can see only binaries for gnu utils .

i have cygwin bash shell but it does not run external win32binaries.

example

$k /cygdrive/i/comedy circus-2

Creating config file: C:cygwinhomeUserXP/mplayer/config
MPlayer git-20100211-1-g1c6846f-Kovensky-mt © 2000-2009 MPlayer Team

Playing /cygdrive/i/comedy circus-2.
File not found: '/cygdrive/i/comedy circus-2'
Failed to open /cygdrive/i/comedy circus-2.

Exiting... (End of file)

Here kovensky binary needed "i:comedy circus-2" but cygwin bash shell autocompletes path only in linux way

Edited by manit

The bash shell is for running the ported Linux utilities. Not windows apps. I don't think I tried an out and out Gui-fied command shell for Windows that didn't crash or act weird.

See FreeCommander. It has a command line at the bottom for quickly running cli programs with the tabbed folder as working directory.

Edited by MilesAhead

Slickrun is a nice application .

Just one grouse , pressing tab multiple times does not cycle options available but takes you to ,/ or space.

Example there are several folders starting from a in i:

Then i:a will suggest i:ayodhya nothing else though alphabetically first should be i:anton then i:analyse etc...

i am using free commander 2009.02b

I see on pressing ctrl+d , a dosbox opens up for current folder but not an integrated commandline text input box as you have said.

One might have to look through the settings. I have had it set up for so long I don't remember where each setting lives. You can probably find answers here:

http://www.forum.freecommander.com/

Slickrun is a nice application .

Just one grouse , pressing tab multiple times does not cycle options available but takes you to ,/ or space.

Example there are several folders starting from a in i:

Then i:a will suggest i:ayodhya nothing else though alphabetically first should be i:anton then i:analyse etc...

I'm not the author. Why not tell it where it may do some good?

http://groups.google.com/group/bayden

• 3 months later...

Believe it or not, DosKey still works. At least I know it did in Vista. I was playing around with some aliases a few years ago. Nothing Windows cli is going to be as complete as a Linux shell, but you can do some customization without installing a separate program. I posted an article about it in 2008. Here's the link:

http://forum.digital-digest.com/f105/tip-day-general-tips-etc-67258-11.html#post553037

Also you might look on some of the big download sites such as download.com, softpedia, snapfiles etc... You may find a free enhanced command prompt utility.