If Then Else single line?

kor

I'm not at my work computer to test things but I've been wondering something about If then else statements.

I know you can do the following

If $i > 0 Then _DoSomething()

And that is a valid single line statement.

I'm wondering if you can do the same thing with Else and ElseIf statements

Else _SomethingElse()

Or

ElseIf $n > 0 Then _SomethingElse()

Are any of those valid code or are EndIf statements required if you have Else/ElseIf statements?

Dog ate your helpfile?

No need to be sarcastic. I think you misunderstood what I am asking.

I am asking about code shortcuts.

I am asking if that same shortcut logic can be applied if you start having Else/ElseIf statements.

Or if you want to do multiple actions after the "Then" statement.

Edited by kor

Surely you've come across this in the Help file >> If...ElseIf...Else...EndIf. :graduated:

Maybe if the help file contained better examples of code shortcuts I wouldn't need to ask.

You're kidding right? The Help file along with the Forum are invaluable tools to learn AutoIt.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Surely you've come across this in the Help file >> If...ElseIf...Else...EndIf. :graduated:

You're kidding right? The Help file along with the Forum are invaluable tools to learn AutoIt.

I agree the helpfile is amazing. But it does not document code shorthand very well. Thus why I am coming to the forum to ask about it. Edited by kor

Thus why I am coming to the forum to ask about it.

Probably best to search before you ask.

As I understand your question(s), you're asking how to structure If..ElseIf..Else..EndIf Statements. Correct?

Taken from the Help File under If...ElseIf...Else...EndIf: (Note: Just type ElseIf in the Help file)

Local $var = ""
If $var > 0 Then
    MsgBox(4096, "", "Value is positive.")
ElseIf $var < 0 Then
    MsgBox(4096, "", "Value is negative.")
Else
    If StringIsXDigit($var) Then
        MsgBox(4096, "", "Value might be hexadecimal!")
    Else
        MsgBox(4096, "", "Value is a string.")
    EndIf
EndIf
Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

No where in the help file can I find documented that if you have an If Then statement you can put it on a single line and not have a closing EndIf.

Nowhere, really?

Not even If...Then under Keyword/Statement Reference?

You need glasses.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

Probably best to search before you ask.

As I understand your question(s), you're asking how to structure If..ElseIf..Else..EndIf Statements. Correct?

Yes and No.

I am asking if EndIf statements are REQUIRED if you have Else/ElseIf statements in the same vain that EndIf is NOT REQUIRED if you have an If Then using a single line.

I'm unsure why everyone thinks this is such a strange question. If you don't need an EndIf on a single line If Then.. why are they required when you instroduce Else/ElseIf's.

But hey, if they ARE required then I will call this question answered.

Because that's the AutoIt syntax.

UDF List:

For anyone interested in speed of If statements >>

Global $iTimer, $iVariable = 1

$iTimer = TimerInit()
For $A = 1 To 10000
    If $iVariable Then $iVariable = 1
Next
ConsoleWrite(Round(TimerDiff($iTimer), 2) & @CRLF) ; Average = 0.00830911064656123

$iTimer = TimerInit()
For $A = 1 To 10000
    If $iVariable Then
        $iVariable = 1
    EndIf
Next
ConsoleWrite(Round(TimerDiff($iTimer), 2) & @CRLF) ; Average = 0.00586525457404322

UDF List:

Oh, divide that number by 1000 :graduated:

UDF List:

• Developers

No need to be sarcastic. I think you misunderstood what I am asking.

I am asking about code shortcuts.

I am asking if that same shortcut logic can be applied if you start having Else/ElseIf statements.

Or if you want to do multiple actions after the "Then" statement.

Not meant to be sarcastic just simply states the facts... no?

So you mean to say you read the helpfile pages about the "If" options and you came away that it must be not complete and other options must be possible?

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

It is interesting that there is such a large performance difference between the single-line and multi-line If-Then statements.

I assume at run-time the source is only parsed once generating some sort of intermediate code. The parser must be doing some odd gyrations when there is no EndIf token, or, it's for some reason generating less efficiient code for the single-line format?

This is just my personal preference but I prefer to have If statements ending with an EndIf as it makes code easier to read. But as I said this is just my personal preference.

UDF List:

Unless speed is an issue I will use single line when I can. The time difference is actually less than the blink of an eye and one or two single line statements won't be noticable.

The major difference that I see is in code readability where multi-line If statements seem easier to read when quickly scanning through the code.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"