[Solved] Detect Key Input

Heya,

I have a remote media control. It has some buttons that cant be used for my media player and i would want to rebind them with Autoit Hotkey but for me to do this i need to know there keys in the first place :graduated:

Is there any way or script for me to run so it detects the keys that r inputed from the remote ?

Edited by IanN1990

hmm good question to which i am not sure how i would find out the answer.

The item is question is http://www.maplin.co.uk/media-remote-control-227367

which is able to Play/Pause, Next track, Last track, Stop, System Volume Increase, System Volume Decrease, System Volume Mute and Link "No idea what link does :graduated:"

My goal is to detect when "stop" is pressed, to send "play" effectly canceling the button "as i know of no way to block keys" and then lock the computer. Turning the Stop button into a lock button.

I would also like to turn the "link" button into a "system switch button" so if $link=0 then the pause/next/last works for media player if $link=1 then pause/next/last works for Kmplayer.

Though i belive this idea is within the scope of my abilitys ;) to do it i would need to find out the following information

The names of the buttons the "control" emulates so my script can detect it and counter it for my abilitys

and knowing the "sendkeys for windows media player pause/play/stop etc but that can be later after i know the media buttons :)"

Is there any script or tool that could help me find out the names of the buttons pressed by the control ?

Thanks ;)

_IsPressed() might be able to shed some light on your question.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

though it took me a while to find it, if your refereing to this http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/docs/libfunctions/_IsPressed.htm then i am a little confused because looking at the sample code

#include 

$dll = DllOpen("user32.dll")

While 1
    Sleep ( 250 )
    If _IsPressed("23", $dll) Then
        MsgBox(0,"_IsPressed", "End Key Pressed")
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
WEnd
DllClose($dll)

I would need to know the "numbers" of the keys that r being pressed for the code to detect and then process it.

In the Help file you only have to type _IsPressed when on the 'Index' tab. :graduated:

I would suggest you search the forum a little more.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

You didn't know about F1 in SciTE? :graduated: My recommendation is to download SciTE4AutoIt3 which is a code editor packed full of features.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

lol i am starting to get alarmed by how worried ur smilys r becoming :) and no i didnt, i downloaded the light non-install version "so i can use it on my flash stick at uni" and kinda just jumped into the deep end with coding and syntax makin small projects. "which is what i enjoy doing". Maybe in a month or two if i feel more proffesional and wish to up my game to the next level i will try out that package :graduated: Still i feel we have got a little off-topic.

We know we could use HotkeySet or _IsPressed to detect if the key is pressed, but for ethier to work they would need to know which keys to detect off. Which leads back to the orginal question of some-how finding out what keys the media control panel sends. ;)

Still i feel we have got a little off-topic.

Perhaps, but you can't jump in at the deep end without having the proper knowledge or tools to aid in helping you. Look at AutoIt Portable in my signature if you want to carry it on a USB drive.

Which leads back to the original question of some-how finding out what keys the media control panel sends.

Look at _IsPressed() and the available key codes, then using a process of elimination find out which key is pressed when you push the remote button(s). Edited by guinness

UDF List:

Hmm ok but i dont think it will work cuz the list referes almost completely to keybaord buttons. The item is not a keybaord, and i dont see anything in the list that would reflct media control buttons "Next, pause, stop, volume up, mute, volume down etc" and all of that side. The "link" button on the control is something unqiue i cant imagie the the small list having it :graduated:

In any event advice has been givien and i would be blind to not even try it out ;) I will report my findings once i have

Ok :graduated:

So i wrote out

#include <Misc.au3>

While 1
    Sleep ( 50 )
    If _IsPressed("01", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
    If _IsPressed("02", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("04", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("05", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("06", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("09", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("0C", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("0D", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("10", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("11", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("12", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("13", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("14", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("15", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("16", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("1B", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("20", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("21", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("22", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("23", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("24", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("25", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("26", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf    
    If _IsPressed("27", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf    
    If _IsPressed("28", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf    
    If _IsPressed("29", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf    
    If _IsPressed("2A", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf    
    If _IsPressed("2B", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
    If _IsPressed("2C", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
    If _IsPressed("2D", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
    If _IsPressed("2E", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf    
    If _IsPressed("30", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf    
    If _IsPressed("31", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
    If _IsPressed("32", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
    If _IsPressed("33", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("34", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("35", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("36", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("37", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("38", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("39", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("40", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("41", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf    
    If _IsPressed("42", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("43", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("44", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("44", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("45", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("46", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("47", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("48", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("49", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("4A", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
            If _IsPressed("4B", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("4C", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("4D", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("4D", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("4E", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("4F", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("50", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("51", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("52", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("53", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("54", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("55", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("56", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("57", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("58", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("59", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("5A", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("5B", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("5C", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("60", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("61", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("62", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("63", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("64", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("65", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("66", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("67", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("68", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("69", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("6A", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("6B", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("6C", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("6D", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("6E", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("6F", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("70", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("71", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("72", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("73", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("74", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("75", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("76", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("77", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("78", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("79", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("7A", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("7B", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("7C", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("7C", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("7D", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("7E", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("7F", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("80H", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("80I", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("80J", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("90", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("91", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("A0", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("A1", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("A2", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("A3", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("A4", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("A5", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("BA", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("BB", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("BC", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("BD", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("BE", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("BF", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("C0", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("DB", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
        If _IsPressed("02", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf

WEnd
DllClose($dll)

Ran the code, tested it with 15 different keys to make sure its working as intended and then used my remote control to find no message box. Meaning the control being send by the remote, doesn't match up to any listed in the index

Edited by IanN1990

Why don't you just use a For-loop instead of repeating all that code? :graduated:

#include <Misc.au3>

While 1
    Sleep(250)
    For $iX = 1 To 254
        If _IsPressed(Hex($iX), $dll) Then
            ConsoleWrite("0x" & Hex($iX, 2) & @LF)
        EndIf
    Next
WEnd
DllClose($dll)

See MSDN for why 254.

ahh its poking me *hides* XD

i did think about it, but again a notive it would of been faster to write out all of that using a copy/paste and excel to stack the numbers up by 1 rather then do a complex but effective code :graduated:

*PS i didn't think it would work for all of them as it would go 1 - 254 missing out 4A, 4B etc but anyways live and learn ;)

Fantastic job i think your code has done the treat :)

0xB3 = Play/Pause

0xB1 = Prev Song

0xB0 = Next song

0xB2 = Stop

0xAF = vol up

0xAE = Vol Dom

0xAD = Mute

It could not detect the link button, which is a shame this could be hardware related and thus cant be be perhaps.

Still now i have some names i can work onto the next step of programing some commands to go with them

Edited by IanN1990

#include 

While 1
    Sleep ( 250 )
    If _IsPressed("B3", $dll) Then
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
WEnd
DllClose($dll)

Just tryed that out, pressed the pause on my media control and the msgbox came up :graduated: So its a huge success. Thanks for your time in this little project ;)

Good, now you can use those keys in HotKeySet() :graduated: (if you don't want whatever app has focus to get the keys too)

Edited by AdmiralAlkex

Thats a good idea but i tryed

HotKeySet({"B3", $dll} "_Stop")

While 1

Sleep(100)

WEnd

Func _Stop()

MsgBox(0,"_IsPressed", "Stop")

EndFunc ;==>_ScrollLock

and it didn't work, In the keypress "{"B3", $dll}" worked like a charm so is there a different syntax i need to use for hotkeys ?

I see you're making progress now! HotKeySet uses different syntax, example use >>

HotKeySet("^c", "_Function") ; ^ = Ctrl, look in Send() to see the correct syntax.

While 1
    Sleep(100)
WEnd

Func _Function()
    ToolTip(ClipGet())
EndFunc   ;==>_Function

So from doing a little searching B3 appears to be Player Start/Pause >> so try HotKeySet("{MEDIA_PLAY_PAUSE}", "_Function") instead. Look in the example for Send() to get an idea of the 'user friendly' key names.

Edited by guinness

UDF List: