PDF to Jpeg

ram777

Hi People,

Let me set the scene, i basically work in a team that uses a tool to gain reports for clients to view. We currently send out about 50 reports a week. These reports come in pdf format. The problem we have is downloading each individual report is time consuming. Although downloading the 1 report that features all 50 is rather quick.

So my idea is to edit the one large report to crop the reports into seperate pdf's. So i need to get my pdf into jpeg form so it can then be edited into the 50 reports. How can i do this. I know there are applications you can download to do this, but this is not an option. I thought i could screen-shot each page but it does seem a bit sloppy. I was hoping there was a way a script might be able to take a jpeg of all the pages and put it into one folder.

Any ideas or help on this would be appreciated? please take into account i am absolutely clueless and do not have a scripting background.

From direct experience, I can tell you that the PDF format is all but simple and you're probably going to spend a lot of time to:

1) find up-to-date PDF specification free of charge

2) read and understand the part you need

3) write your extraction tool ex-nihilo or even using a third-party PDF library

I'm not saying it's an impossible task, but consider it fairly difficult for a beginner in scripting or programming.

I'd use a ready-to-use third party tool for that. That's what I've done just for extracting text from some of the PDF I need to deal with.

OTOH iff you're sure that every report fits on a single page, you can still automate paging thru the document and taking screenshots with AutoIt.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

You may need a third party program to do that, I recomend you ImageMagick http://www.imagemagick.org, this have a plenty of options of all kind of image edition and is all command line, so you can crate your script calling this commands, I'm not pretty sure but hope this can help you.

One last thing PDFCreator is one useful software with command line too, i think with this you cant split the original pdf into several pdf's.

And this are open source.

I think very easy solution for your problem would be to pack 50 PDF reports to one ZIP archive and offer this one file for download.

It's very easy to unpack this ZIP file on other side to get all 50 reports.

If you need some work PDF and you use PDFCreator then consider PDFCreator can be controlled programatically also by COM/OLE.

If you really want all reports in one PDF and then split them lateron, you should look at PDF Split And Merge (http://pdfsam.org)

*GERMAN* [note: you are not allowed to remove author / modified info from my UDFs]My UDFs:[_SetImageBinaryToCtrl] [_TaskDialog] [AutoItObject] [Animated GIF (GDI+)] [ClipPut for Image] [FreeImage] [GDI32 UDFs] [GDIPlus Progressbar] [Hotkey-Selector] [Multiline Inputbox] [MySQL without ODBC] [RichEdit UDFs] [SpeechAPI Example] [WinHTTP]UDFs included in AutoIt: FTP_Ex (as FTPEx), _WinAPI_SetLayeredWindowAttributes