au3check.exe not working

Torment

I recently built a new computer and installed Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) on it. Since then, I haven't been able to get au3check.exe to function properly. This is my work computer and I have full administrator access. I have the latest version of AutoIt installed (v3.3.6.1) and I have uninstalled and reinstalled AutoIt a few times now. During install, I have tried answering both yes and no to "Use native x64 tools where possible". I have tried every command line option and nothing seems to help. Regardless of how many coding errors there are in a script, it always returns "0 error(s), 0 warning(s)". Does anybody have any idea what's going on here? Any suggestions on what I might check to troubleshoot this thing further?

• Moderators

Torment,

I presume you are running Au3Check from within SciTE - so could you please post the output from the SciTE console when you try to compile so we can see what happens? :D

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

I have a similar error, only mine fails in the upx (compression) step. See post titled "upx fails" in this forum. Console output has been included.

Seriously?

Plugging your own problem in an unrelated thread.

Forshame.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

Torment,

I presume you are running Au3Check from within SciTE - so could you please post the output from the SciTE console when you try to compile so we can see what happens? :D

M23

Well, that found the issue! I actually use UltraEdit for most of my editing needs instead of SciTE. Here's what I got when I ran the check in SciTE:

>"C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\SciTE\AutoIt3Wrapper\AutoIt3Wrapper.exe" /prod /AU3Check /in "C:\Temp\test.au3"
+>11:09:56 Starting AutoIt3Wrapper v.2.0.3.0    Environment(Language:0409  Keyboard:00000409  OS:WIN_7/Service Pack 1  CPU:X64 OS:X64)
! ***************************************************************************************************
! * Input file is UTF8 encoded, Au3Check/Obfuscator do not support UNICODE and will be skipped.*
! ***************************************************************************************************
>Exit code: 0   Time: 0.211

I do a lot of work on Linux and web files, so I guess I set my default format to UTF-8. After I converted the script to ASCII, au3check worked just fine. Are there any plans to add support for unicode/UTF-8 to au3check?

Thank you for your help, Melba23! I appreciate it.

• Moderators

Torment,

Are there any plans to add support for unicode/UTF-8 to au3check?

I do not believe so as the author of Au3Check is long gone from the forum. But Jos might come along later and offer his 2 cents on the matter. :D

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

If you create and save the file in SciTE this shouldn't happen, make sure in your editor you save as ANSI and not Unicode as stated by the error.

Edit: Forget what I just said seems you already know that.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

• Developers

Torment,

I do not believe so as the author of Au3Check is long gone from the forum. But Jos might come along later and offer his 2 cents on the matter. :oops:

M23

No much to add to that. I have done some maintenance on au3check, but have no plans even looking at making it support the several versions of unicode encoded files. :D

Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

• Developers

I have a similar error, only mine fails in the upx (compression) step. See post titled "upx fails" in this forum. Console output has been included.

no you dont so stop posting in this thread and create your own.

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

No much to add to that. I have done some maintenance on au3check, but have no plans even looking at making it support the several versions of unicode encoded files. :D

Jos

Perfectly understandable. I can always use SciTE, and it's certainly an easy fix to simply switch from UTF-8 to ASCII in my editor. Thanks for the replies!

• Developers

I have a test version working of autoit3wrapper that will run au3check on an ascii version of a utfxx saved file. It will copy the utfxx file to a temp file. Au3check is ran against that and in the generated output from au3check, it will replace the tempfile name with the original scriptfilename.

It will be available soon for beta testing.

Jos

Edited by Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

• Developers

When you feel brave you can have a look in the beta directory which contains an autoit3wrapper subdir containing this test version.

Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Thanks Jos! I downloaded the AutoIt3Wrapper.exe program and did a bunch of testing with it. In the process, I learned quite a bit more about UTF-8, Unicode, BOM, and other stuff, as well as turned up a bug in my regular editor, UltraEdit.

I tested the new AutoIt3Wrapper with files encoded as ANSI/ASCII, UTF-8 with BOM (Byte Order Marker), UTF-8 without BOM, UTF-16, UTF-16 - Big Endian, and Unicode - ASCII Escaped. It worked correctly on all file encodings except for UTF-8 with BOM. UTF-8 is increasingly becoming the dominant character set for web development as well as other programming areas, which is why I started using it as my default encoding. Apparently though, UTF-8 with BOM causes issues with a lot of applications and such, so it is recommended to not use a BOM with UTF-8. The bug I found in UltraEdit was that it was saving my files with the BOM despite having the settings set to NOT save with a BOM. *sigh* :oops:

For the record, I went back and tested "UTF-8 without BOM" with the original AutoIt3Wrapper and it worked fine. So, had I not had that bug in UltraEdit encoding my files incorrectly, then this issue would have never even come up! :D I also tested the other encodings with the old version of AutoIt3Wrapper and a bunch of them failed, so your new version fixed the issue with those encodings at least, Jos. :rip: Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it!

For those that are interested in learning more about UTF-8, BOM, encodings, and other related information, you might find the following links helpful:

Wikipedia entry for UTF-8.

UltraEdit's explanation of Unicode-encoded data and how it relates to UltraEdit (a good overview).

The Absolute Minimum Every Software Developer Absolutely, Positively Must Know About Unicode and Character Sets (No Excuses!)

The fix for the UltraEdit bug that I found.

• Developers

I am not using unicode myself, but dont agree that using utf8 without bom should be promoted at all.

It is hard to really detect them and with bom that is soo much easier.

Jos :D

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

@Torment,

I can only second Jos on this. The reason is very simple: every UTF8_noBOM file is a valid ANSI file so it's extremely hard, oh no: IMPOSSIBLE to make the difference. OTOH, the converse is generally not true. That's why BOM were introduced: disambiguate ANSI and UTF8. The cases of UTF16 (-LE or BE) and UTF32 (LE or BE) are mostly simpler to handle but still, ambiguity remains in many cases which can't generally be sorted out without a human brain.

So contrary to what you recommend I urge anyone to keep away of UTF8_noBOM except for imperative, valid, exceptional reasons (that is not for AutoIt source files). UTF with BOM are the only text files encodings that a computer program can more or less blindly manipulate without any risk of misinterpreting contents.

BTW Jos, I do have an issue with the beta AutoItWrapper and UTF-8 + BOM: it launches check but check doesn't catch blatant syntax errors. I didn't have much time to trace it and didn't succeed in compiling it properly. Could you be kind enough to post or PM a compiled version with the (ANSI) FileDelete($Tempfile) commented out? That would allow to look closer easily.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

• Developers

Maybe it is easier to give me an examples sourcefile to test with ? :D

Would appreciate it to allow me to test properly.

Jos

Edited by Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

OK so here you are:

It doesn't bark on this garbage.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

• Developers

Thanks, that helped.

I found the issue I introduced when changing the standard UTFx error to a more directed error only when the tools are ran that have an issue.

Give the latest upload A try to see if that works better for you.

Jos :D

Edited by Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Thanks Jos, it looks much better. I'll tell you more after testing on another machine.

Edited by jchd