Including a file in a program + Saving settings TO a program

rcmaehl

Okay first off, currently my script I'm working on uses a file in the directory it's running in as the background. However, I was wondering if there's a way to include the background file INSIDE the compiled script so I can use GUICtrlCreateIcon(@ScriptFullPath, Icon, 0, 0, @DesktopWidth, @DesktopHeight) or something of the sort. The background is 1280x1024 if that will help at all.

Secondly, is it possible to write settings to the program itself. As in saving the settings to hex at the end of the compiled script or a seperate file (non-plain text). If so how would I do so, as it would be EXTREMELY helpful in abuse prevention of the settings file, because currently what I'm using for a settings file is a settings.ini with FileSetAttrib(".\settings.ini", "+RSH") and that's not really portable and really just plain annoying. EDIT: Basically I need a way to write to a file that isn't encrypted/hashed that can't be edited without a hex-editor or such, while still being portable. EDIT: Going to use binarytostring and vice versa to convert the settings.ini file, read/write what's needed, and convert it back.

Problems solved, thanks everyone!

Thanks -RC

Edited by rcmaehl

My UDFs are generally for me. If they aren't updated for a while, it means I'm not using them myself. As soon as I start using them again, they'll get updated.

My Projects

WhyNotWin11
Cisco FinesseGithubIRC UDFWindowEx UDF

For the first one - FileInstall()

For the second one - maybe an INI file?

edit - nevermind - it looks like you are using an INI file - maybe writing the registry?

Edited by nitekram

All by me:

"Sometimes you have to go back to where you started, to get to where you want to go." 

"Everybody catches up with everyone, eventually" 

"As you teach others, you are really teaching yourself."

From my dad

"Do not worry about yesterday, as the only thing that you can control is tomorrow."

WindowsError.gif

WIKI | Tabs; | Arrays; | Strings | Wiki Arrays | How to ask a Question | Forum Search | FAQ | Tutorials | Original FAQ | ONLINE HELP | UDF's Wiki | AutoIt PDF

AutoIt Snippets | Multple Guis | Interrupting a running function | Another Send

StringRegExp | StringRegExp Help | RegEXTester | REG TUTOR | Reg TUTOT 2

AutoItSetOption | Macros | AutoIt Snippets | Wrapper | Autoit  Docs

SCITE | SciteJump | BB | MyTopics | Programming | UDFs | AutoIt 123 | UDFs Form | UDF

Learning to script | Tutorials | Documentation | IE.AU3 | Games? | FreeSoftware | Path_Online | Core Language

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

Replace $ghGDIPDll with $__g_hGDIPDll

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

Your first question is search Resources.au3 by Zedna. The other one is a little tricky to do & not for the novice user, plus it's more work required. I would say stick to the INI file which is Portable if used correctly. I have no idea why you have to hide it?

edit - nevermind - it looks like you are using an INI file - maybe writing the registry?

This isn't considered portable by the portable freeware community. Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Secondly, is it possible to write settings to the program itself. As in saving the settings to hex at the end of the compiled script or a seperate file. If so how would I do so, as it would be EXTREMELY helpful in abuse prevention of the settings file, because currently what I'm using for a settings file is a settings.ini with FileSetAttrib(".\settings.ini", "+RSH") and that's not really portable and really just plain annoying.

Thanks -RC

You can still use an .ini file for the settings, if you encrypt the ini file they will have a harder time changing the settings in it.

Use something like this

$OutFile = @TempDir & "\temp.txt"
 _Crypt_EncryptFile($IniFile, $OutFile, "Au+01+R0ck$", $CALG_AES_256)
FileMove($OutFile, $IniFile, 1) ; move the temp file to the ini file overwriting it

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

This is considered Portable by the portable freeware community.

Writing to the registry is considered portable? O_o I thought it wasn't.

You can still use an .ini file for the settings, if you encrypt the ini file they will have a harder time changing the settings in it.

Use something like this

$OutFile = @TempDir & "\temp.txt"
_Crypt_EncryptFile($IniFile, $OutFile, "Au+01+R0ck$", $CALG_AES_256)
FileMove($OutFile, $IniFile, 1) ; move the temp file to the ini file overwriting it

I had edited my first post because I don't want to encrypt the file if I can directly write the settings to the Hex of the compiled script. EDIT: Also the script will be opensource so they won't have a hard time because they'll have the encryption key.

In general, I'm trying to cut down the number of files that would be inside the directory of the script while still having everything with it.

Edited by rcmaehl

My UDFs are generally for me. If they aren't updated for a while, it means I'm not using them myself. As soon as I start using them again, they'll get updated.

My Projects

WhyNotWin11

I made a mistake in my previous post, plus if you're interested then search for _WinAPI_UpdateResource, but this blows your whole less files problem out the water (I would be happy to explain why.)

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

This isn't considered portable by the portable freeware community.

Not sure how it would be portable in any sence then? As if I were to use the program on one computer, I would have to then bring the INI file or whatever with me to the next computer - although - that would be a lot easier then trying to export the registry and importing it into the next computer.

All by me:

"Sometimes you have to go back to where you started, to get to where you want to go." 

From my dad

"Do not worry about yesterday, as the only thing that you can control is tomorrow."

WindowsError.gif

WIKI | Tabs; | Arrays; | Strings | Wiki Arrays | How to ask a Question | Forum Search | FAQ | Tutorials | Original FAQ | ONLINE HELP | UDF's Wiki | AutoIt PDF

SCITE | SciteJump | BB | MyTopics | Programming | UDFs | AutoIt 123 | UDFs Form | UDF

Learning to script | Tutorials | Documentation | IE.AU3 | Games? | FreeSoftware | Path_Online | Core Language

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

If you have the application on a USB drive in a folder with the INI file next to the exe then it's not difficult to transport and messing with the registry without/limited knowledge is just asking for problems.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

If that is the case, USB drive, then I would not inflate the compiled EXE with installing the files needed into it, I would just put them in the same directory as the EXE and the INI file?

All by me:

From my dad

WindowsError.gif

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

If that is the case, USB drive, then I would not inflate the compiled EXE with installing the files needed into it, I would just put them in the same directory as the EXE and the INI file?

That is what is generally done, however, if I could merge any of the files together into one file and decrease the file count it would be less files to move. Basically, some other people (and myself) have a huge folder full of files that go with portable programs and searching through those can take time. Also, is it possible to merge the settings and background image into a dll or something, then again I don't know how to make a dll so you'd have to teach me...

My Projects

WhyNotWin11

I do not think that will work, as once the application is compiled the FileInstall() function will include them with your EXE but then it needs to be able to extract/place those files within a directory of your choice - in this case a USB drive, and then you are back to square one with the big list of files that you wanted to stay away from.

But the Resources.au3 by Zedna - might be different, have not looked at the code.

edit spelling mistake

edit ps - if you are looking to just make it easier to move all the files at one time, not having to look for them and then transport them - then FileInstall() could be helpful.

Edited by nitekram

All by me:

From my dad

WindowsError.gif

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

From experience users like to delete files regardless of their function, so if a settings file is deleted no problem re-create it. If an image file is deleted then of course it's a different matter. My suggestion still stands, look at Resources.au3, a 23KB file isn't going to be a noticeable difference in file size , unless they're using a floppy drive!

Which looks easier to 'transport'? An exe, settings file and a folder labeled 'bin' with 100 jpgs? Or an exe and settings file?

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

Your edit to your second question makes no sense at all. You don't want it encrypted, but you don't want it editable unless you have a hex editor. I don't understand why encrypting the file wouldn't make harder to alter it? In light of this statement "as it would be EXTREMELY helpful in abuse prevention of the settings file", encrypting the file to prevent abuse of the setting file just makes it a tiny bit harder to do so unless they have the key to decrypt it.

Also, if you FileInstall all of your needed files into the exe when you compile it, you can designate where to put the files when you run the program, and if you wanted to delete them after they're no longer needed, your script can do that for you too. There's no searching for files needed if you clean up after yourself in your script.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

From experience users like to delete files regardless of their function, so if a settings file is deleted no problem re-create it. If an image file is deleted then of course it's a different matter. My suggestion still stands, look at Resources.au3, a 23KB file isn't going to be a noticeable difference in file size , unless they're using a floppy drive!

Which looks easier to 'transport'? An exe, settings file and a folder labeled 'bin' with 100 jpgs? Or an exe and settings file?

I'm trying to make it so that all the files are inside the EXE. So it's easier to transport an EXE than an EXE and a settings file, however I WILL look into resources.au3. Thanks! :D

encrypting the file to prevent abuse of the setting file just makes it a tiny bit harder to do so unless they have the key to decrypt it.

Notice in one of my posts I say that they DO have the key.

Edited by rcmaehl

My Projects

WhyNotWin11

He changed the initial post again BrewManNH. BinaryToString/StringToBinary vs Encryption...interesting. :D

The code is Open Source, but this doesn't mean you have to include the encryption key, just create a random key when you upload.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

Agreed, two files are better then 102 files for portablility - i edited my previous post.

All by me:

From my dad

WindowsError.gif

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

He changed the initial post again BrewManNH BinaryToString vs Encryption...interesting.

The's a grayish area between speed and time accessing and easy of edibility (by both the program and users).

I need a file that can be quickly accessed/modified by the program while being protected from the semi-above average computer user for abuse reasons.

My Projects

WhyNotWin11

Nothing is 100% protected, but if your problem is about the encryption key being in the source code, then simply don't upload the correct encryption key. And I didn't understand your last message, what's wrong with BrewManNH's solution?

UDF List:

I asked a similar question recently and got some good answers. You might find something useful:

Thanks! Also resources.au3 is what I'm looking for, I just have to figure out how to use it. Basically I'm trying to idiot proof the normal settings values while smart & malicious proofing the important stuff while keeping it simple, because I'm not taking ANYTHING out of my source code, because then it's not opensource, it's just source and some jerk will complain to google code.

Edited by rcmaehl

My Projects

WhyNotWin11