How can I Find and Replace multiple strings in multiple files ?

Hello group,

I am new to AutoIt and have a LITTLE experience in VBscript. I am building an AutoIt application with the following goals:

1 - Ask user to supply some strings

2 - Search specific files and replace ANY and ALL of the found strings with the user-supplied strings.

I found and I tweaked Larry's solution to work with a set of files as defined in an Array.

Here is the code I have so far, which DOES work, but I am wondering if a kind Guru here could tell me if there is a more elegant/efficient/safe way to accomplish this task. I will ultimately have in the neighborhood of 30 strings to replace in 15 different files. Some files will have all 30 strings, other files will have only a subset of the strings.

;Define file set
Dim $arrFileSet[10], $filesCount
$arrFileSet[0] = "C:\Test\File0.bat"
$arrFileSet[1] = "C:\Test\File1.xml"
$arrFileSet[2] = "C:\Test\File2.ini"
$arrFileSet[3] = "C:\Test\File3.txt"
$arrFileSet[4] = "C:\Test\File4.txt"
$arrFileSet[5] = "C:\Test\File5.txt"
$arrFileSet[6] = "C:\Test\File6.txt"
$arrFileSet[7] = "C:\Test\File7.txt"
$arrFileSet[8] = "C:\Test\File8.txt"
$arrFileSet[9] = "C:\Test\File9.txt"

;Define user input variables
Dim $domain, $user, $pass, $share
$domain = InputBox("","Domain?")
$user = InputBox("","User?")
$pass = InputBox("","Pass?")
$share = InputBox("","Share?")

;Create array to store user input
Dim $arrUserInput[4]
$arrUserInput[0] = $domain
$arrUserInput[1] = $user
$arrUserInput[2] = $pass
$arrUserInput[3] = $share

;Create array to store to-be-replaced strings
Dim $arrStringsReplace[4], $stringToReplace, $stringCount
$arrStringsReplace[0] = "%domain%"
$arrStringsReplace[1] = "%user%"
$arrStringsReplace[2] = "%pass%"
$arrStringsReplace[3] = "%share%"

;Loop through files and strings
For $filesCount = 0 To 3
    $stringToReplace = FileRead($arrFileSet[$filesCount],FileGetSize($arrFileSet[$filesCount]))
  For $stringCount = 0 To 3
   $stringToReplace = StringReplace($stringToReplace, $arrStringsReplace[$stringCount], $arrUserInput[$stringCount])
   FileDelete($arrFileSet[$filesCount])
   FileWrite($arrFileSet[$filesCount],$StringToReplace)
  Next
Next

Thanks in advance!

I don't know why you are using FileDelete. I would be inclined to use FileOpen with mode set to 2 = Write mode (erase previous contents), and then use FileWrite to replace the text, after all the replacements have been made to the text (string variable).

Edited by czardas

I don't know why you are using FileDelete. I would be inclined to use FileOpen with mode set to 2 = Write mode (erase previous contents), and then use FileWrite to replace the text, after all the replacements have been made to the text (string variable).

I was using FileDelete because that is what I found in That said, I don't NEED to do it that way. So you are suggesting this instead?

FileOpen($arrFileSet[$filesCount], 2)
Edited by jsmcpn

Correct. I'll be releasing a renaming example in the next couple of days, check back to the examples section once I've completed it.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

There's also the command _ReplaceStringInFile that can do the same thing, it's basically just opening the file with a fileread, and then just finding all the occurences of the string to be replaced, and replaces it. Then writes the file back to the original file.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Preview:

Posted Image

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

There's also the command _ReplaceStringInFile that can do the same thing, it's basically just opening the file with a fileread, and then just finding all the occurences of the string to be replaced, and replaces it. Then writes the file back to the original file.

Excellent! I like that much better. I also added a line to back up each file.

#include <File.au3>
For $filesCount = 0 To 3
FileCopy($arrFileSet[$filesCount], $arrFileSet[$filesCount] & ".bak")
  For $stringsCount = 0 To 3
   _ReplaceStringInFile($arrFileSet[$filesCount],$arrStringsFind[$stringsCount],$arrBuildVars[$stringsCount])
  Next
Next
Edited by jsmcpn

I'd think you would want your FileWrite() outside of the inner For/Next loop, so you're only executing it once per file, rather than after each variable replacement.

Something like:

#include <File.au3>

;Define and load file set
Local $arrFileSet
_FileReadToArray(@ScriptDir & "\files.txt", $arrFileSet)

;Define user input variables
Local $stringCount, $string[4] = ["Domain", "User", "Pass", "Share"]
;Define create arrays to store user input and to-be-replaced strings
Local $arrUserInput[4], $arrStringsReplace[4], $stringToReplace
For $x = 0 to 3
  $arrUserInput[$x] = InputBox("", $string[$x] & "?")
  $arrStringsReplace[$x] = "%" & $string[$x] & "%"
Next

;Loop through files and strings
For $filesCount = 1 To Ubound($arrFileSet) - 1
    $stringToReplace = FileRead($arrFileSet[$filesCount])
    For $stringCount = 0 To 3
      $stringToReplace = StringReplace($stringToReplace, $arrStringsReplace[$stringCount], $arrUserInput[$stringCount])
    Next
    FileMove($arrFileSet[$filesCount], $arrFileSet[$filesCount] & ".bak", 1)
    FileWrite($arrFileSet[$filesCount], $stringToReplace)
Next

I did a little more tinkering as well. You might find it useful to load your list of filenames from a text file as this example does. Then you can make changes to the list on-the-fly without recompiling your script.

PS - _ReplaceStringInFile() isn't very efficient for your particular needs, as you'll be opening, reading, rewriting, and closing each file 4 times (for each changed string) instead of just once with FileWrite().

Edited by Spiff59

Thanks Spiff59, I'll experiment with your idea. In the meantime, can you help me with using a 2D array?

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out:

($arrFileSet[$filesCount],$arrStringsFindReplace[$stringCount][0],$arrStringsFindReplace[$stringCount][1])

OLD:

I was thinking it would be better to use a single 2D array for find/replace instead of two 1D arrays, but I must be misunderstanding 2D, because I get an error with the code below.

Array variable has incorrect number of subscripts or subscript dimension range exceeded.:

_ReplaceStringInFile($arrFileSet[$filesCount],$arrStringsFindReplace[$stringCount],$arrStringsFindReplace[1])

_ReplaceStringInFile($arrFileSet[$filesCount],^ ERROR

Dim $arrStringsFindReplace[4][2], $stringCount
$arrStringsFindReplace[0][0]  = "%varDomain%"
$arrStringsFindReplace[0][1]  = $varDomain
$arrStringsFindReplace[1][0]  = "%varUser%"
$arrStringsFindReplace[1][1]  = $varUser
$arrStringsFindReplace[2][0]  = "%varPass%"
$arrStringsFindReplace[2][1]  = $varPass
$arrStringsFindReplace[3][0]  = "%varShare%"
$arrStringsFindReplace[3][1]  = $varShare

For $filesCount = 0 To UBound($arrFileSet)-1
  FileCopy($arrFileSet[$filesCount], $arrFileSet[$filesCount] & ".bak")
    For $stringCount = 0 To UBound($arrStringsFindReplace)-1
      _ReplaceStringInFile($arrFileSet[$filesCount],$arrStringsFindReplace[$stringCount],$arrStringsFindReplace[1])
  Next
Next

Thanks again all!

Edited by jsmcpn