CD Tray Management

rcmaehl

Okay, I already searched the forums for this and got some results however they aren't what I'm looking for exactly. I basically need a way to lock/unlock all CD trays. Basically I could just stick CDTray("", "closed") for every drive letter within the while loop of my script but that would be ugly.

Here's what I'm looking for:

* 1-2 line(s) of code to lock/unlock the tray without any UDF

* Does not require admin privs

* Does not do anything else but lock/unlock tray

There's probably a way to do this through a _RunDOS() call and I'll be looking for it while I wait for this to be answered.

Thanks -RC

My UDFs are generally for me. If they aren't updated for a while, it means I'm not using them myself. As soon as I start using them again, they'll get updated.

My Projects

WhyNotWin11
Cisco FinesseGithubIRC UDFWindowEx UDF

1-2 line(s) of code to lock/unlock the tray without any UDF

Then I don't have any suitable suggestions.

Edit: For those without strict requirements look at WinAPIEx.au3 by Yashied and the function _WinAPI_LockDevice().

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

When you say unlock, do you mean Open the tray? What's wrong with finding all of the CD's on the system and then looping through the drive letters to close them?

$arrayofCDdrives = DriveGetDrive ( "cdrom" )
For $I = 1 To $arrayofCDdrives[0]
    CDTray($arrayofCDdrives[$i], "Open") ; or use close here instead
Next

BTW, there's nothing magical about _RunDOS, it's just using the command RunWait(@ComSpec & " /C " & $sCommand, "", @SW_HIDE) in a function call.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Better:

$var = DriveGetDrive( "all" )
If NOT @error Then
    For $i = 1 to $var[0]
        $drivecheck = DriveGetType($var[$i])
        If $drivecheck = "CDROM" then CDTray($var[$i], "open")
    Next
EndIf

This will loop through all the drives on the PC and only open (or close if you change the code to that) the CDRoms. All other drive types are ignored.

Edited by MPH

rcmaehl,

Try something like (not tested)

for $i = 65 to 90
     if drivegettype(chr($i) & ':') = 'CDROM') then cdtray(chr($i) & ':','closed')
next

kylomas

Edit: MPH's suggestion is better...I give up!!!

Edited by kylomas

Forum Rules         Procedure for posting code

"I like pigs.  Dogs look up to us.  Cats look down on us.  Pigs treat us as equals."

- Sir Winston Churchill

Aren't those example just opening the CDROM, I thought he wanted to lock it and in 1 to 2 lines of code?!

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Aren't those example just opening the CDROM, I thought he wanted to lock it and in 1 to 2 lines of code?!

That's why I asked for more information regarding what he was trying to do, because to some people unlocking the tray might mean opening it. Seeing as how your suggestion fit what he was looking for, it appears that was not the case.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

rcmaehl,

This actually works. Yashieds UDF is easy to work with and can be downloaded from the examples section (if I knew how to insert a hyperlink I would).

This code was tested under Win7 SP1 (current maintenance levels).

#include <winapiex.au3>
; lock the device
for $i = 65 to 90
 $type = drivegettype(chr($i) & ':')
 if $type = "CDROM" then _WinAPI_LockDevice(chr($i) & ':',1)  ; cd trays are locked
next

; unlock the device
for $i = 65 to 90
 $type = drivegettype(chr($i) & ':')
 if $type = "CDROM" then _WinAPI_LockDevice(chr($i) & ':',0)  ; cd trays are unlocked
next

Sorry, don't know how to work this code editor very well.

Caveat, if you lock the device then you have to unlock it!!

kylomas

"I like pigs.  Dogs look up to us.  Cats look down on us.  Pigs treat us as equals."

- Sir Winston Churchill

@MPH,

AS did I...not sure the OP make a distinction between "locked", "unlocked", "open" or "closed"...

guinesses post got me poking around and now I'm glad I did. Yahieds UDF contains a bunch of usefull stuff...

kylomas

- Sir Winston Churchill

@MPH, @kylomas & @BrewManNH

I was just curious to know if I had misinterpreted the original post as well since I didn't see "closed" when I replied, but if I did read it and I didn't know about the LockDevice function then I would have posted the same probably. One thing that still puzzles me thought is why does it only have to be 1-2 lines of code and not a UDF?

Caveat, if you lock the device then you have to unlock it!!

Check your example and the second parameter, 1 = locked & 0 = unlocked. Also about adding a hyperlink, just select the hyperlink button (in full edit mode) next to the insert number list button. But it's easy to search for WinAPIEx.au3, it's just a question of know how.

UDF List:

Meh. Fine. It's just that there's no easy way to track UDFs without going to the forums, and usually UDFs have more that one purpose and unless I'm wrong the entire UDF gets imported into the script when compiling, so there's a HECK of a lot of things I don't use in UDFs (Note how in the majority of my scripts I use the hexadecimal representation of GUI Styles and Extended styles along with other things). Then again, I was being a bit of a lazy strict person yesterday. I'll used that WinAPIEx.au3 UDF within the URSafe script and thanks guinness! :D

My UDFs are generally for me. If they aren't updated for a while, it means I'm not using them myself. As soon as I start using them again, they'll get updated.

My Projects

WhyNotWin11
Cisco FinesseGithubIRC UDFWindowEx UDF

Meh. Fine.

Wrong. Look at obfuscator and /StripOnly. Edited by guinness

UDF List:

Obfuscator /striponly or /sf 1 will eliminate the bloat of includes. BTW, UDF stands for User Defined Function, not the file they're contained in. So technically, any function you or someone else creates is a UDF.

If the UDF that has been tested and distributed (by Jon & the AutoIt supporting cast) has just a few kb of dead code for your purposes but contains the piece of code you need then why worry about it? Is having every millisecond a big deal to you? Does the size matter to you when compiling EVERY UDF in the AutoIt Suite in an EXE file would still be under 2MB? Just about everyone simply includes the UDF that is needed to get the command they need to work and moves on. Is this really that important to you in having the code as small as possible?

Really?

This is a bunch of trouble just to save a few lines of code. Just because you have fewer lines of code does NOT mean the code is optimized. If anything your code "could" be very buggy for the lack of proper coding practices. We have no idea of course seeing how you never posted any code in your attempt to solve the problem. This is not a slight toward you but instead it is something you should think about and learn from.

(Note how in the majority of my scripts I use the hexadecimal representation of GUI Styles and Extended styles along with other things).

From what I have been led to understand, doing this is considered bad coding practice because those constants may change at any time. If you hard code a value in your script and it's found out later that the constant is incorrect, you will have to find and update all those hard coded values rather than just one constant.

Plus it adds to the readability of your script to include common constant variables rather than some undefined number because someone looking at your script may not know that -3 equals $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE for a GUIMsg.

rcmaehl,

What BrewManNH said was correct and Valik explains this is bad too.

Edit: I was missing a word.

Edited by guinness

UDF List: