Killing the Desktop

rcmaehl

Okay, I'm creating a... well.... Desktop. It's basically going to be an alternative Windows Desktop, however I can't figure out how to kill the Desktop and Taskbar without them restarting. I know it's possible as Explorer was closed once when it was not responding and never restarted... Without the default Desktop and Taskbar killed the Desktop I'm making gets all overlapped and/or iffy. Any suggestions would be appreciated even if it turns out they don't work.

Thanks -RC

P.S. I've already tried the basics with ProcessClose() and closing through _RunDOS(), explorer.exe just restarts...

Edited by rcmaehl

My UDFs are generally for me. If they aren't updated for a while, it means I'm not using them myself. As soon as I start using them again, they'll get updated.

My Projects

WhyNotWin11
Cisco FinesseGithubIRC UDFWindowEx UDF

Killing Explorer is bad. Either set your app as the default shell so Explorer doesn't start to begin with, or let the user Exit Explorer. If you're on Vista/7, hold ctrl+shift and right-click an empty area on the start-menu (like around the shutdown button). You Exit in another way on XP, just do a search on Google.

Killing Explorer is bad. Either set your app as the default shell so Explorer doesn't start to begin with, or let the user Exit Explorer.

But what if I don't like explorer :D Also I find 2 flaws with that logic:

1. My app isn't that COMPLEX enough right now to be the default shell, maybe in a few years but not anytime soon.

2. Any AVERAGE user that used my program probably wouldn't know how to Exit Explorer.

My UDFs are generally for me. If they aren't updated for a while, it means I'm not using them myself. As soon as I start using them again, they'll get updated.

My Projects

WhyNotWin11

Have you thought of finding an alternative to explorer?

I'm making an alternative DESKTOP, because when you choose an item on the desktop, even if it opens in an alternate explorer.exe, it was still opened in explorer.exe first because the desktop IS explorer.exe.

My Projects

WhyNotWin11

Func Reg_AutoRestartShell($mode = 1); 0=disable, 1=enable (default)
    Local $Winlogon = 'HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionWinlogon'
    If RegWrite($Winlogon, 'AutoRestartShell', 'REG_DWORD', $mode) Then Return 1
    Return 0
EndFunc

"The mediocre teacher tells. The Good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires." -William Arthur Ward

What MPH linked to are file browsers and not shell replacements. A popular shell replacement with WinPE installations is 'BBox Shell.'

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018