Need help with multi-track looping audio

I'm needing help with a script. I've found bits and pieces on the forum, but none that seem to fit right. I'm not looking for someone to write my script, but need help with finding the right pieces to put this all together. I can do the GUI, control, etc, but need help with the audio portion. Here's what I need:

-Play audio files at the same time

-Some will loop until stopped, others will play once per call

-Sound that llops should be continuous until stopped, nopauses between restart

-Each track should have it's own volume which could be adjusted during play. This would be seperate from PCs master volume.

-Files currently are ogg for size, but I could convert these if neded to MP3, etc.

Here's an example of what the script would be doing:

Playloop1(Sound1.ogg, volume=70)

Sleep(1000)

Playloop2(Sound2.ogg, volume=90)

Sleep(2000)

Playonce1(Sound3.ogg, volume=65)

Sleep(1500)

Changeloop1(volume=45)

Sleep(1000)

Stoploop2()

The program would allow you to load a set of files to create a "scene". For example, you could have a loop playing of wind blowing with random gradual volume adjustments over time. At the same time, a loop is playing of a bubbling witches cauldren. At random, a playonce of a witch laughing. Also at random, a playonce of a wolf howling. and so on...

All the similar scripts (and commercial apps) don't give me the control I want. I plan to have input from a serial device that will affect certain variables. For example, when you approach a sensor, it would trigger a playonce of a scream, or if you scream it would playonce a laugh, etc. I don't have any problem with the code to connect and control from the serial device. This script is similar to many "environment generators" out there, but would take input from sensors allowing it to be used for our Halloween setup of our house next year. I'll be glad to post the resulting code as I go. Any suggestions?

Start by taking a look at the _Sound* UDF functions.

I have. One of the biggest issues is noted: "Update4: Removed repeat option for technical reasons". This is an important feature for my usage. Also, I don't see a way to control each track's volume independently. I've looked at SoundSetWAVvolume() but I want to control EACH sound seperately, not adjust a 'master' volume. This function does however appear to be able to handle multiple formats and play/stop. I assume by using different handles, I could initiate multiple pays at once, and control each seperately. This is one of those 'almost right' options I've come across. Thanks for the suggestion though.

• Moderators

DrJeseuss,

You can easily repeat sounds using _Sound.au3 by checking _Sound_Status and replaying the sound when you get "stopped" as a return. :rip:

I believe you could use multiple instances of a single .a3x file (which you could FileInstall within the main exe) to play any number of sounds and pass in the particular sound to use via the command line. As to different volumes for the different sounds - if you start a separate instance for each sound you want to play you could then control them all individually with some form of inter-script communication - there are a number of options out there but my personal favourite is trancexx's MailSlot. :D

Sounds like a fun project. Give it a go - you know where we are if you need any more help. :oops:

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

You can easily repeat sounds using _Sound.au3 by checking _Sound_Status and replaying the sound when you get "stopped" as a return. :D

Wouldn't this incur a skip or pause between stop and restart? I'll give it a try.

I believe you could use multiple instances of a single .a3x file (which you could FileInstall within the main exe) to play any number of sounds and pass in the particular sound to use via the command line.

Would this be needed or could I simply do this (as a general example only)? Though this may interfere with you suggestion for volume below...

$sound1 = _SoundOpen("sound1.wav")
$sound2 = _SoundOpen("sound2.wav")
$sound3 = _SoundOpen("sound3.wav")
_SoundPlay($sound1, 0)
_SoundPlay($sound2, 0)
_SoundPlay($sound3, 0)
sleep(1000)
_SoundClose($sound1)
_SoundClose($sound2)
_SoundClose($sound3)

As to different volumes for the different sounds - if you start a separate instance for each sound you want to play you could then control them all individually with some form of inter-script communication

How would I control the volume? I've looked at SoundSetWaveVolume but I'm on XP so this may be an issue due to the following note from Help:

On Windows Vista, there is no system-wide wave volume. This function only changes the wave volume for the script. It can not be used to change the wave volume of other programs.

This would have been perfect. Any way to accomplish this on XP though?

Looks like I have some direction and room for a bit mor experimentation. Thanks!

• Moderators

DrJeseuss,

Wouldn't this incur a skip or pause between stop and restart?

Yes, but a minimal one. Depends on how often you poll the status.

Would this be needed

If you want different volumes for each sound then I initially saw no other way - but as you state you are using XP see below

How would I control the volume?

There is an undocumented (for waveform-audio devices) volume function which uses the the same mci interface as the rest of the Sound.au3 commands. It works fine to set the volume for a single sound - I have never tried it on multiple sounds within the same script.

I told you it sounded interesting (pun fully intended! :oops:). Let me have a play around over the next few days and see what I can come up. I run Vista so we might have a few problems there, but I am sure we can get around them. :D

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

I have. One of the biggest issues is noted: "Update4: Removed repeat option for technical reasons". This is an important feature for my usage. Also, I don't see a way to control each track's volume independently. I've looked at SoundSetWAVvolume() but I want to control EACH sound seperately, not adjust a 'master' volume. This function does however appear to be able to handle multiple formats and play/stop. I assume by using different handles, I could initiate multiple pays at once, and control each seperately. This is one of those 'almost right' options I've come across. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Maybe the Author took it out, but it dose not automatically follow that you cannot put it back, to test it.

This page to me, suggests you just add "repeat" to the command string in the _SoundPlay() function.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

I would look at the BASS udf library. It can play multiple channels at the same time, channel volume can be set independently from what I read in the UDF function headers.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Maybe the Author took it out, but it dose not automatically follow that you cannot put it back, to test it.

This page to me, suggests you just add "repeat" to the command string in the _SoundPlay() function.

Great point. From reviewing the UDF and MSDN it appears possible and somewhat easy, I think... The current syntax is:

_SoundPlay($aSndID[, $iWait = 0])

I feel this could be modified (or a new function added) to use syntax of:

_SoundPlay($aSndID[, $iWait = 0[, $iRepeat = 0]])

Then in the function:

Func _SoundPlay($aSndID, $iWait = 0, $iRepeat = 0)
;validate $iWait
If $iWait <> 0 And $iWait <> 1 Then Return SetError(2, 0, 0) ; invalid $iWait parameter
If $iRepeat <> 0 And $iRepeat <> 1 Then Return SetError(2, 0, 0) ; invalid $iRepeat parameter
If Not __SoundChkSndID($aSndID) Then Return SetError(3, 0, 0) ; invalid Sound ID or file name
;if sound has finished, seek to start
If _SoundPos($aSndID, 2) = _SoundLength($aSndID, 2) Then __SoundMciSendString("seek " & $aSndID[0] & " to start")
;If $iWait = 1 then pass wait to mci
If $iWait = 1 AND $iRepeat = 1 Then  ; Ignore wait when repeat is used
  __SoundMciSendString("play " & $aSndID[0] & " repeat")
ElseIf $iWait = 1 AND $iRepeat = 0 Then  ; Don't Repeat while waiting
  __SoundMciSendString("play " & $aSndID[0] & " wait")
ElseIf $iWait = 0 AND $iRepeat = 1 Then  ; Don't wait while repeating
  __SoundMciSendString("play " & $aSndID[0] & " repeat")
Else
  __SoundMciSendString("play " & $aSndID[0])
EndIf
;return
If @error Then Return SetError(1, @error, 0)
Return 1
EndFunc   ;==>_SoundPlay

Does this make sense to do it this way?

Edited by DrJeseuss

That's what I supposed it to be, the only way to find out is have a pop at it I imagine.

The Author of the UDF says it was "removed for technical reasons" but I never seen any old code.

It might be that there was a memory leak or something.

I'd just go for it, its not going to make your computer blow up.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

• Moderators

DrJeseuss,

A quick update.

The undocumented mci volume function has been removed - just as well RazerM and I decided not to include it in the UDF. :rip:

I am now looking into the multiple .a3x route for several different, individually volume controlled sounds. :oops:

Frankly, the BASS.DLL route suggested by BrewManNH might be an easier road to take as you are starting from scratch. I will continue my path for a while out of interest - and because it is partly my UDF. :D

M23

Spoiler

Frankly, the BASS.DLL route suggested by BrewManNH might be an easier road to take as you are starting from scratch. I will continue my path for a while out of interest - and because it is partly my UDF. :D

The BASS library also allows for seamless audio looping just by adding a single parameter when loading the clip. The alien ship sounds in UEZ's very-slick Autoiteroids are an example.

• Moderators

DrJeseuss,

A quick update.

I have cracked the multiple .a3x files with separate volumes bit. The audio looping does have a small break as the file is restarted, but you could disguise that by making sure you have a fade in/out on the audio so that it is not so noticeable. :oops:

Now working at the interscript communication bit - my first effort failed because all the processes had the same name (I should have realised that using the same .exe file to run the .a3x files meant multiple processes of that name :rip:) but I am looking at something different for the next trial. :)

I am also working on a main GUI with inputs for the file names, sliders for the volume and a checkbox for repeat state - might as well go the whole hog! :D

Good fun for a wet afternoon! :D

M23

Spoiler

• Moderators

DrJeseuss,

Interscript communication now working. :D

Just the GUI to go! :oops:

M23

Spoiler

To avoid duplication of efforts I've been tinkering with the BASS idea a bit to see where that goes and what issues I might run into. I've modified an example from BASS and added a few extra lines to get 2 'channels' playing at once, both looping. I also have been playing with the SlideAttribute command which will ease smooth volume changes. The looping so far appears seamless. I plan to step this up by added a higher number of channels to see what the limits are here, as well as adding some PlayOnce samples to fire off intermittently. The sample code here has a lot of duplication, but was needed to hear the changes over time, etc.

Thanks to BrettF for the BASS functions and BrewManNH for the suggestion!

#include <Bass.au3>
#include <BassConstants.au3>
#region ; Initialize BASS
Global $playing_state = -1
;Open Bass.DLL.  Required for all function calls.
_BASS_STARTUP ("BASS.dll")
;Initalize bass.  Required for most functions.
_BASS_Init(0, -1, 44100, 0, "")
;Check if bass iniated.  If not, we cannot continue.
If @error Then
 ConsoleWrite("Could not initialize audio" & @CR & "Error = " & @error)
 Exit
EndIf
#endregion
#region  ; Create streams
;Prompt the user to select a MP3 file
$file1 = FileOpenDialog("Open...", "", "WAV Files (*.WAV)")
;Create a stream from that file.
$MusicHandle1 = _BASS_StreamCreateFile(False, $file1, 0, 0, $BASS_SAMPLE_LOOP)
;Check if we opened the file correctly.
If @error Then
 ConsoleWrite("Could not load audio file" & @CR & "Error = " & @error)
 Exit
EndIf
;Prompt the user to select a MP3 file
$file2 = FileOpenDialog("Open...", "", "WAV Files (*.wav)")
;Create a stream from that file.
$MusicHandle2 = _BASS_StreamCreateFile(False, $file2, 0, 0, $BASS_SAMPLE_LOOP)
;Check if we opened the file correctly.
If @error Then
 ConsoleWrite("Could not load audio file" & @CR & "Error = " & @error)
 Exit
EndIf
#endregion
;Iniate playback
_BASS_ChannelSetAttribute($MusicHandle1, $BASS_ATTRIB_VOL, 0) ; Begin playback with volume at 0 for smooth startup
_BASS_ChannelSetAttribute($MusicHandle2, $BASS_ATTRIB_VOL, 0)
_BASS_ChannelPlay($MusicHandle1, 1)
;Sleep(1000)
_BASS_ChannelPlay($MusicHandle2, 1)
ConsoleWrite("Playing" & @CRLF)
Sleep(1000)
_BASS_ChannelSlideAttribute($MusicHandle1, $BASS_ATTRIB_VOL, 0.65, 4000)
_BASS_ChannelSlideAttribute($MusicHandle2, $BASS_ATTRIB_VOL, 0.45, 7000)
ConsoleWrite("VolumeSlide up started" & @CRLF)
Sleep(10000)
_BASS_ChannelSetAttribute($MusicHandle1, $BASS_ATTRIB_VOL, 0)
_BASS_ChannelSetAttribute($MusicHandle2, $BASS_ATTRIB_VOL, 0)
ConsoleWrite("Volume set to 0" & @CRLF)
Sleep(2000)
_BASS_ChannelSlideAttribute($MusicHandle1, $BASS_ATTRIB_VOL, .8, 8000)
_BASS_ChannelSlideAttribute($MusicHandle2, $BASS_ATTRIB_VOL, 0.6, 2000)
Sleep(10000)
_BASS_ChannelStop($MusicHandle1)
ConsoleWrite("Stop 1" & @CRLF)
Sleep(2000)
_BASS_ChannelSlideAttribute($MusicHandle2, $BASS_ATTRIB_VOL, 0.15, 4000)
ConsoleWrite("VolumeSlide down started" & @CRLF)
Sleep(4000)
_BASS_ChannelSlideAttribute($MusicHandle2, $BASS_ATTRIB_VOL, 0.85, 4000)
Sleep(4000)
_BASS_ChannelStop($MusicHandle2)
ConsoleWrite("Stop 2" & @CRLF)
Sleep(1000)
_BASS_Free()
Exit

During the creation of a media player I was building in AutoIt, I accidentally forgot to close the streams when I was reading the IDv3 tags of my music files. After looping through over 4000 songs I figured I must have had about 4000+ streams open at the same time without an issue. Although the memory usage was incredibly high. :D

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

During the creation of a media player I was building in AutoIt, I accidentally forgot to close the streams when I was reading the IDv3 tags of my music files. After looping through over 4000 songs I figured I must have had about 4000+ streams open at the same time without an issue. Although the memory usage was incredibly high. :D

That's certainly more than I'll need for this purpose! Good to know though. I was curious though, would it make more sense to load/play these from file or preload to memory before use? It appears the memory load would add a bit of code/overhead to perform so I'm thinking to stick with going straight from file, though I'd imaging there comes a point that this is less efficient.

• Moderators

DrJeseuss,

I see you are well on the way with BASS so I will cease my parallel work with Sound. No worries about duplication of effort - as always I learnt a lot while getting it to work. :oops:

Good luck with the project. :D

M23

Spoiler

DrJeseuss,

I see you are well on the way with BASS so I will cease my parallel work with Sound. No worries about duplication of effort - as always I learnt a lot while getting it to work. :oops:

Good luck with the project. :D

M23

Thanks for your help and suggestions with this. I felt it was worth trying a few different approaches to find the best fit. _Sound seemed to be having some issues for smooth looping, independent volume, etc. Your comments saved me time in determining which route (Sound or BASS) would work better. At any rate, I still expect this to be a fun project. I'm banging out a skeleton code and will start a thread in Examples for this to follow the project. I'll put a reference on here once it's started. Again, Thanks for your help!