2D Array into GUI Listview

nevodj

Hello,

I can't find in the forum how I can pass a 2D array (created by _Sql_GetTable2d) into a list view in my GUI.

Obviously I can do it with _ArrayDisplay but I want it in a neat list view in my GUI.

Sure there is a way to do this... but I can't find it!

Thanks

nevodj

Here's how I did it in a media player that I'm working on:

For $n = 0 To UBound($aArray) - 1
        _GUICtrlListView_AddItem($ListView, $aArray[$n][0], -1, $n + 9999)
        For $s = 1 To UBound($aArray, 2) - 1
            _GUICtrlListView_AddSubItem($ListView, $n, $aArray[$n][$s], $s)
        Next
    Next

Obviously you'd use your own variable/array names in place of what I have here. BTW, in case you're wondering about this line _GUICtrlListView_AddItem($ListView, $aArray[$n][0], -1, $n + 9999), the $n + 9999 is because I'm using the Listview UDF to add lines to the listview, if you want the listview sortable, you need to add 9999 to the line number when creating a new item in the listview.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Replace

with
For $n = 1 To UBound($aArray) - 1
But make sure that the SQL command was run successfully and returned at least one record.

Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

And the column names are still displayed?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

This should work:

_GUICtrlListView_AddItem($ListView, $aArray[$n][0], -1, $n + 9999)
    For $s = 0 To UBound($aArray, 2) - 1
        _GUICtrlListView_AddSubItem($ListView, $n, $aArray[$n][$s], $s+1)
    Next
Next

Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

The code posted will populate a Listview with the contents of a 2D array starting at the second element of the array ([1]). If it's not doing that for you then there's a problem elsewhere in your code. "Nope... sorry" isn't very helpful as an error message. What's not working, and how is it not working?

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Thanks.... The code Water posted screws my array up totally like so:

Code Description Qty1 Qty2

1234 1234 Item1234 Qty1

4567 4567 Item1234 Qty1

It should be like

Code Description Qty1 Qty2

1234 Item1234 Qty1 Qty2

4567 Item1234 Qty1 Qty2

Don't know if that makes sense... it is putting the stockcode in the description column as well.

It displays fine using _ArrayDisplay.

Thanks!!

Correct Array (with BrewManNH code)

<TABLE border=1 width=700>
<TBODY>
<TR>
<TD>Stockcode</TD>
<TD>Description</TD>
<TD>In Stock</TD>
<TD>On order</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>1234</TD>
<TD>Item 1234</TD>
<TD>500</TD>
<TD>100</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>5678</TD>
<TD>Item 5678</TD>
<TD>400</TD>
<TD>50</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Incorrect Array (with Water code)

<TABLE border=1 width=700>
<TBODY>
<TR>
<TD>Stockcode</TD>
<TD>Stockcode</TD>
<TD>Description</TD>
<TD>Instock</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>1234</TD>
<TD>1234</TD>
<TD>Item 1234</TD>
<TD>500</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>5678</TD>
<TD>5678</TD>
<TD>Item 5678</TD>
<TD>400</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

EDIT: SORRY I'M TRYING TO GET IT TO SHOW IN A TABLE FOR YOU...

Edited by nevodj

I see the problem, in my code, just change the For $n = 0 to UBound($aArray) - 1 to For $n = 1 to UBound($aArray) - 1, don't change the second For ... Next loops numbers from the one I posted.

I see the problem, in my code, just change the For $n = 0 to UBound($aArray) - 1 to For $n = 1 to UBound($aArray) - 1, don't change the second For ... Next loops numbers from the one I posted.

Why shouldn't the second loop start with 0? Otherwise you drop the first column. The data the OP posted shows that column 0 has data to be displayed.

Or did I miss something?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

@nevodj

You're a little fuzzy about what you exactly run (and want), but anyway.

In the situation you describe and if this is for populating a listview, I'd switch to a much more simple approach: use SQLite to format rows so that they directly insert in your listview.

_SQLite_GetTable($hDB, "select itemcode || '|' || itemdesc || '|' || qty1 || '|' || qyt2 from stock where ...", $rows, $nrows, $ncols)
For $i = 2 To UBound($rows) - 1
  GUICtrlCreateListViewItem($rows[$i], $ListView)
Next

Rename table(s), columns, variables; add salt, error checks, bells & whistles.

Edited by jchd

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

Why shouldn't the second loop start with 0? Otherwise you drop the first column. The data the OP posted shows that column 0 has data to be displayed.

Or did I miss something?

Because you're using the first column of the "row" of the array in the first column of the listview, if you reuse the first column you'll end up doubling up the first value in the first 2 columns of the listview. The second For...Next loop is to add subitems to the LV rows.

Array[0] = Column1 <<<<<<< Item Column 1 of listview

Array[1] = Column2 <<<<<<< Subitem Column 2 of listview

Array[2] = Column3 <<<<<<< Subitem Column 3 of listview

Oh, got a big cup of coffee and now understand what was wrong in my version :D

Thanks for the explanation!

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

The headers should be defined at listview creation. This is much simpler than using SQL column aliases in order to have user-friendly names.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

• 5 months later...

So I'm having the same problem as the OP and the solution proposed is giving me the same results he reported. I structured my code as suggested but what it does is it lists the database column names as the first line of the list view.

The list view resides in a tab of my application and starts out empty. I then enter a mac address, click "OK" and perform the following. The code suggested works great except that in my list view I already spell out the column names that I want. The below code executes and the first line in my listview reads:

MAC Service State Startup Pathname

the next line reads

00:12:23:24:24 Adobe??? Started Auto c:/?????????

The second line contains the actual data that I want to display. How do I keep from returning the column names of the database as the fist line?

Changing the 0 to a 1 as suggested gives me the same result as the OP in that only the first column of data is returned. He said pretty much what I have but I think he gave up trying to communicate his issue.

Local $list, $aResult, $iRows, $iColumns, $n, $aArray

_SQLite_GetTable2d(-1, "SELECT * FROM SERVICES WHERE MAC = '"& $MAC &"';", $aArray, $iRows, $iColumns)

_GUICtrlListView_AddItem($ListView1, $aArray[$n][0], -1, $n + 9999)

For $s = 0 To UBound($aArray, 2) - 1

_GUICtrlListView_AddSubItem($ListView1, $n, $aArray[$n][$s], $s)

Next

Next

I hope the additional explanation and examples help.

Thanks a million!