Game Production

Thornhunt

Ok i realise that its very minimal so far, i have wanted to give it a shot for a while now and finally i have worked up the motivation to give it a go.

i'd just like to share with you all how far i have got with my project.

try to keep criticism constructive

The Project: To make a fully working MMO from AutoIt. Both client and server

Aspiration: To actually have a userbase and push it to much much more than planned.

some more infomation:

the game will be stragegy based, for now. if possible i'd like it to progress into something more, but at the moment i'l stick with something simple. it will be based on the growth of your character, the mission you choose and the other members that are in the same mission. in other words, everyones build contributes to if it fails or not. so there wont be much "im gonna take over the wold on my own" play. the more you play the more area's missions and jazz becomes available. there will be a feature were you can test your character against others in an arena to gain a known title and all that. your character wont be tied to the class you choose either. the classes will just ad benifits to the items/role you play during missions. example a gunner can use a long range rifle but is more affective with a cannon. if you get were im going..

ofcourse il update the infomation on things the more i complete the game, but like i said, it is purely at the very start of things.

Hopefully you all will enjoy my little project and hopefully it goes well.

MMOgame.zip

P.S you need to run both the "maintest.exe" and the "Server.exe" (found in the server folder)

Progress List:

Main gui base created

options screen base made

login screen base made

registration form base made

registration validation made

P.S if you want to help at all feel free to ask, lol any help is much appreciated (expecially when it comes to the graphics side of things)

Edited by Thornhunt

Budweiser + room = warm beerwarm beer + fridge = too long!warm beer + CO2 fire extinguisher = Perfect![quote]Protect the easly offended ... BAN EVERYTHING[/quote]^^ hmm works for me :D

Autoit is rarely a good choice for games, as it has a significant interpreter overhead and subsequently is not ideal for graphics-based games (which normally need image rendering abilities, which have to run blindingly fast)

However, I wish you good luck with the project.

ongoing projects:-firestorm: Largescale P2P Social NetworkCompleted Autoit Programs/Scripts: Variable Pickler | Networked Streaming Audio (in pure autoIT) | firenet p2p web messenger | Proxy Checker | Dynamic Execute() Code Generator | P2P UDF | Graph Theory Proof of Concept - Breadth First search

thankyou for the feedback, its probially a good job i chose to make a strategy instead of a rts :D

update: i added the start of a server to sort out new registrants. it also contains some already registered members, so you can play some more (in a sence) with user name availability. there is also some communication from the client to the server side of things (kinda)

[Download file updated]

P.s The Server log file aka Slog.ini isnt included, because it can become quite large after a while

Edited by Thornhunt

Budweiser + room = warm beerwarm beer + fridge = too long!warm beer + CO2 fire extinguisher = Perfect![quote]Protect the easly offended ... BAN EVERYTHING[/quote]^^ hmm works for me :D

I downloaded your project so far and when i start the server it says that it's not a valid win32 application. As for the idea i like it, but as twitchyliquid64 said, autoit it's not really the best choice when it comes to games, but it's a start. And looking at the Irrlicht UDF for autoit there might be a chance to something really nice.

And what about the source? Will you realese the source or will this project be open source?

Actually i disagree with twitchyliquid64, things have turned for the better in autoit after JRowe's magnificent release of au3Irrlicht and bogQ's au3Impact which have given autoit a HUGE boost in gaming. Sure i agree that the 3D game's made so far are second-rate at best, but nonetheless autoit has been moving towards a brighter future in gaming and still is.

A lot of people say that autoit can never have a future in gaming because of it's massive CPU consumption but that isn't necessarily true, because if people like JRowe keep on doing the good work, they will find ways to get passed autoit's faults and reach the bright future they've been heading towards.

Actually i disagree with twitchyliquid64, things have turned for the better in autoit after JRowe's magnificent release of au3Irrlicht and bogQ's au3Impact which have given autoit a HUGE boost in gaming. Sure i agree that the 3D game's made so far are second-rate at best, but nonetheless autoit has been moving towards a brighter future in gaming and still is.

A lot of people say that autoit can never have a future in gaming because of it's massive CPU consumption but that isn't necessarily true, because if people like JRowe keep on doing the good work, they will find ways to get passed autoit's faults and reach the bright future they've been heading towards.

What happens here is that the entire core is written in c/c++, you are merely scripting it through autoit. That does not count as writing games in autoit. You are actually violating the rules as youre automating a game lol.

Ever wanted to call functions in another process? ProcessCall UDFConsole stuff: Console UDFC Preprocessor for AutoIt OMG

Exactly, you are using dynamic libraries, which basically is being used by every game engine.

A part of building games is using an graphics library, and that graphics library is irrlicht. We are talking about building a game not building an graphics library.

Do you think Call of duty is just made in 1 language ? No, in fact it's made of several. The game engine (IW Engine) is written in C/C++ but there are included dynamic libraries of different sorts of language's.

Edited by Zibit

What happens here is that the entire core is written in c/c++, you are merely scripting it through autoit. That does not count as writing games in autoit.

As the Windows API is built in c/c++ then you must mean that you can only write games in c/c++. That's stupid. It absolutely counts as writing games in AutoIt. It's the only way to make games with AutoIt.

You are actually violating the rules as youre automating a game lol.

And now you're just trolling.

@Zibit

Don't forget 2D-gaming! :D

Edited by AdmiralAlkex

Don't forget 2D-gaming!

Good point 2D games in autoit have evolved pretty far, though most of them aren't using any graphics engine. I can remember a game written in purely autoit no graphics libraries or anything, it was a bike game, a simple game but the physics amazed me. That game was proof that autoit can handle game physics. Edited by Zibit